Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
As I've said before, some people get on here thinking they know all about theology and God and then proceed to show their ignorance.

Lk 1:36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.
Lk 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God.”
Lk 1:38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May it be to me as you have said.” Then the angel left her.

Think of it this way. People today would say the resurrection from the dead is impossible. Yet Jesus rose and he raised 3 other people. But if the resurrection is impossible, then all religion is a waste of time because then there is no hope for people. So if people religion is a pointless waste of time, then why are they on a religion forum??? That really makes no sense.
Yes God is capable of anything except He cannot lie. But that has nothing to do with the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbrian View Post
If Jesus isnt God, then we have a problem

Deu 6:14 KJV Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which [are] round about you;

Jhn 20:27-28 KJV Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust [it] into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Luk 4:8 KJV And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Heb 1:6 KJV And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
Uh, God is also the God of gods, so there is a difference between having the title and being the God they were to worship.

You need to study the Hebrew principle known as Shailack (Which Jesus knew and used) as well as a the Greek to understand what Thomas actually meant.

Notice it was God who was ONLY to be worshiped and served, the worship as a single act was not the issue, it is a combined action. Worship in both he brew and Greek means to honor or reverance and it is even applied to men properly and even of God and man at the same time and the man was not God.

The verse about the angels has to do IN CONTEXT with Jesus being King and is proper and has nothing to do with US doing so. Plus it is reverence as King, not religious worship.

Word meaning, context, etc are all to be paid attention, not the man made claims.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, God is also the God of gods, so there is a difference between having the title and being the God they were to worship.

You need to study the Hebrew principle known as Shailack (Which Jesus knew and used) as well as a the Greek to understand what Thomas actually meant.

Notice it was God who was ONLY to be worshiped and served, the worship as a single act was not the issue, it is a combined action. Worship in both he brew and Greek means to honor or reverance and it is even applied to men properly and even of God and man at the same time and the man was not God.

The verse about the angels has to do IN CONTEXT with Jesus being King and is proper and has nothing to do with US doing so. Plus it is reverence as King, not religious worship.

Word meaning, context, etc are all to be paid attention, not the man made claims.
Can you show me that from scripture? I would like to see where this is coming from.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 PM

950 posts, read 692,665 times
Default Siamese Twins

Here is my explanatory effort. The only way to reconcile this
dispute is by explaining it as Siamese Twins (Conjoined Twins). In
other words, two persons in one body. That way, God and Jesus can
be retained as separate persons but SHARING a body. This video
will show:

Conjoined Twins Abby and Brittany's New TLC Reality Show - The Breakdown - YouTube

Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Can you show me that from scripture? I would like to see where this is coming from.

Thanks in advance!
. Hi,

Luke: 7:1 Now when he had ended all his sayings in the audience of the people, he entered into Capernaum.
2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
3 And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.
4 And when they came to Jesus,they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this:
5 For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue.
6 Then Jesus went with them. And when he was now not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to him, saying unto him, Lord, trouble not thyself: for I am not worthy that thou shouldest enter under my roof:

Same account but showing the principle that someop0ne sent in the name of another is addressed as that person.

Matt 8:5 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.
7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.
8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.

Matthew speaks of the centurion actually coming and Luke speaks of the elders ()Plural) sent by the man. This is the Shailach principle at work and even though it was the elders who spoke Jesus addressed themas though they were the centurion. It is all through the Bible.

Jesus as God's agent, sent by God, can be addressed as "God" in the same way.

with "the Schaliach Principle, or the Jewish Law of Agency, which is expressed in the dictum, 'A person’s agent is regarded as the person himself.'" (1967 The Encyclopedia of the Jewish Religion. Werblowsky, Raphael Jehudah Zwi; Wigoder, Geoffrey, joint editors)

"Here the category of agency sheds light. In the rabbinic writings there is reference to the figure of the saliah, which means literally 'one who is sent' (see Apostle). A saliah was a surrogate sent on a task or mission with specific instructions and authority to carry it out. According to the Talmud, a saliah could, among other things, carry out business transactions, make binding treaties and arrange marriages (b. Qidd. 41a, 42b-43a). A common saying in the rabbis was 'the one who is sent is like the one who sent him' or 'a man's agent is equivalent to himself' (m. Ber. 5:5;b. B. Mes. 96a; b. hag. 10b; b. Menah. 93b; b. Nazir 12b; b. Qidd. 42b, 43a). Because the saliah may act on behalf of the one who sent him, when one deals with the saliah it is as if one is dealing with the one who sent that person."

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-07-2014 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: remember that red font is reserved for moderation..Thanks

Old 05-02-2014, 10:18 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
When you put an entity called "GOD" into the form of a human being then you are putting certain limitation on God, height weight, width, etc ,, but GOD is unlimited. God has no start and no end. How can you put limits on God when he has no limits?
I think Jesus being the God is a man made concept that was cultivated in the Christian Faith by the first council of nicea in 325 AD.
God is nothing like Jesus, and God is nothing like all that he created.

God is ONLY ONE, and he is not Jesus.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
God the Son, does not appear anywhere in the Scriptures, only the Son of God.
Being in the form of something; does not make you that something.
Let the weak say I AM strong. God calls the things that are not as though they are. I quit calling myself and others a sinner a good while ago.

New age doctrine i know.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Bible says straight out that Jesus is God. John 1:1 says that Jesus is God. Phil. 2:5-6 says that Jesus is God. Hebrews 1:10-12 compared with Psalm 102:5-27 shows that Jesus is God.

The only question is whether or not you will believe the Bible. And clearly, many people do not!!!
Those quotes are being taken out of context...

Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Nothing is destroyed, it merely changes form.
Perhaps, you would like to elaborate?

"Many have the form of godliness, but deny the power thereof?"
In other words, you're saying that Yeshua was in the form (outward appearance, external appearance) and equal (in quantity or QUALITY)...Yeshua's appearance and character were equal with His Father...Like Father, like Son?...

Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I'm not very religious, however I went to catholic school for 12 years and studied theology and religion.

The best way I ever heard the Holy Trinity described is like water. Water can be liquid, gas, or solid. Yet water is still h2o. Same composition, just different forms. Even as a skeptic I had to accept that as the best answer I'd ever got.
You mean it's tri-state where it exists as all three simultaneouly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity