Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:57 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Your comment makes no sense, because you are basing it on a premise that God did not create us. If God created us, then of course he understands sexual orientation. God did not create two men or two women. As a matter of fact he created a man and a woman. Two distinct genders. If he really thought that any person regardless of gender could be with each, why even have two different genders? Why make it so that only a man and a woman can procreate?

But before you respond remember disagreeing means you refuse to understand....exactly.
Yes, I understand. The bible is a book of myths and allegories made up many years ago before anyone had any sense of the Enlightenment, never mind the Scientific Revolution. The bible was written at a time when people were uneducated, looking for something to believe in and had no sense of understanding why things happen, they believed things happened through superstition. I know the bible is fallible. You insist on conflating poorly translated, and often poorly understood scripture, with modern scientific consensus. But, if you believe in the bible, you must believe in such scripture, that a woman must be executed if she is not a virgin at the time of her marriage: that is the bible, that is the word of God, A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deuteronomy 22:13-21). Also, you must believe that children not born within wedlock are NOT held under God's grace, this includes children born to people who are married for the second, or third time. Only the first marriage is valid. Children who disobey they parents can righteously be killed. There is numerous scripture that are ignored today. People eat shellfish, and wear blended fabrics. There is scripture condemning miscegenation as well.

Yes, there are two distinct genders, with two distinct sex drives. However, people do not have sex for the specific purpose of procreating. This is common sense. They have sex because they are sexually aroused (read: horny). People want to have sex because they are interested in romance, and the sexual pleasure derived from sex, not because they want to have children specifically. This is why birth control was created, and why it is used constantly. Consider the enormous amount of illegitimate children born into the world because the parents had sex. The human sex drive varies, it is not the same for all people. We know this, just as we know the world is not flat, as the church insisted, and tortured Galileo for insinuating it is not. Catholics were not to believe in such foolishness, that the earth is round. Galileo was not exonerated by the church until 1992! Darwin's theory of evolution is also regarded as fact. We know that all people are not necessarily attracted to the opposite gender, some are naturally attracted to their same gender, not out of choice, but because of the way they were born. We know as well, sexual orientation is an immutable part of a person. So, yes, I fully understand. A religion may lead you astray but your common sense of decency should not.

Good reading for those for those who are objective and open minded:

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2012/03/t...matthew-vines/

Last edited by 9162; 06-23-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I hope this doesn't ruin your sound stage .... but if you didn't care of disapproving opinions or beliefs then it's hypocritical to "we have a problem with is being denied the right to be legally married due to your personal religious opinions and beliefs."

What? That doesn't even make sense.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Opps ... accidentally deleted the wrong message
Originally Posted by twin.spin
Please, ... do you actually think you're the only exception to not being allowed to do something because of someone else's contrary opinion?
parsed:

Please, ... do you actually think

you're the only exception ........ "weee.... 're the only one"

to not being allowed to do something
because of someone else's contrary opinion?" mommy said no"
Well, you're not my mommy. Nor are you the person who determines my rights.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:33 PM

472 posts, read 385,636 times
Quote:
Opps ... accidentally deleted the wrong message
Originally Posted by twin.spin
Please, ... do you actually think you're the only exception to not being allowed to do something because of someone else's contrary opinion?
parsed:

Please, ... do you actually think

you're the only exception ........ "weee.... 're the only one"

to not being allowed to do something
because of someone else's contrary opinion?" mommy said no"
I like your dancing man...were did you find that?

Old 06-23-2014, 01:51 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, I understand. The bible is a book of myths and allegories made up many years ago before anyone had any sense of the Enlightenment, never mind the Scientific Revolution. The bible was written at a time when people were uneducated, looking for something to believe in and had no sense of understanding why things happen, they believed things happened through superstition. I know the bible is fallible. You insist on conflating poorly translated, and often poorly understood scripture, with modern scientific consensus. But, if you believe in the bible, you must believe in such scripture, that a woman must be executed if she is not a virgin at the time of her marriage: that is the bible, that is the word of God, A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deuteronomy 22:13-21). Also, you must believe that children not born within wedlock are NOT held under God's grace, this includes children born to people who are married for the second, or third time. Only the first marriage is valid. Children who disobey they parents can righteously be killed. There is numerous scripture that are ignored today. People eat shellfish, and wear blended fabrics. There is scripture condemning miscegenation as well.

Anyone who makes these kind of arguments only demonstrates their ignorance about the Bible. The laws that you reference were part of the old covenant that God designed for his chosen people, the Israelites. The death of Christ established a new spiritual convent for all people so those laws do not apply anymore. The Bible contains detailed historical counts, beautiful poetry, and many verses of wisdom that are amazingly relevant today like in Proverbs. It also contains numerous fulfilled prophecies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Yes, there are two distinct genders, with two distinct sex drives. However, people do not have sex for the specific purpose of procreating. This is common sense. They have sex because they are sexually aroused (read: horny). People want to have sex because they are interested in romance, and the sexual pleasure derived from sex, not because they want to have children specifically. This is why birth control was created, and why it is used constantly. Consider the enormous amount of illegitimate children born into the world because the parents had sex. The human sex drive varies, it is not the same for all people. We know this, just as we know the world is not flat, as the church insisted, and tortured Galileo for insinuating it is not. Catholics were not to believe in such foolishness, that the earth is round. Galileo was not exonerated by the church until 1992! Darwin's theory of evolution is also regarded as fact. We know that all people are not necessarily attracted to the opposite gender, some are naturally attracted to their same gender, not out of choice, but because of the way they were born. We know as well, sexual orientation is an immutable part of a person. So, yes, I fully understand. A religion may lead you astray but your common sense of decency should not.
God also designed sex as the ultimate form of intimacy and bonding between a man and a woman. At that moment, physically you are one united. Even the secular world recognizes that sex with humans is deeply layered.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I couldn't care less what your opinion or belief is. You're perfectly free to believe whatever you want and use the Bible to justify your belief. That's not what gay people have a problem with. What we have a problem with is being denied the right to be legally married due to your personal religious opinions and beliefs.

Example: Some Christians think dancing of any type is anti-Christian and wrong. That's fine if they want to believe that. But if they attempt to criminalize dancing, that's where the line is crossed.

And obviously not all Christian denominations agree that homosexuality is wrong or a sin. SS marrige is legal now in this country and I'm sure will be legal at the state level in all states soon. You'll still be free to dislike that people like me are legally married and say you don't view me as married. That's your personal business.
Hi,

If the Law of man says you can marry, that is no skin off my nose at all. I simply will continue to make it known WHEN ASKED that it is not Biblical. I do not and will not make any public statements about it or denigrate those who wish to practice it. I do not discriminate against such choices and have both worked with and hired Gays. I do not care what denominations may say or do as it does not change what the Bible says. My position is basically it is your choice and you will live with the repercussions. Do you agree I have the right to take that position and express my views when asked?

Old 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
...snip...The difference between an

amateur writer, and a pro, is clear.
True in many, if not most instances. I've mentored a few amateurs. But many are fine writers to begin with. What they need to learn is how to properly prepare manuscripts and approach publishers and/or agents - the business side of publication.

But I'm sure you know that, dom.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You had really, really better go back and check your facts on that.

The "Theban Legion" was a group of Christian Roman soldiers who were martyred for the sake of Christ in 286 AD.

Otherwise, I was clearly and consistently talking about homosexuality in the Roman Republic and Empire, not in Greece. The Romans were much more conservative than the Greeks.
Well Rome became quite degenerate over time and allowed many such activities. Their laws did not mean much after a while. My point is that it is not a new issue at all.

You need to go back further than Rome for the Theban issue as they were men of the Greek city of Thebes. Long before Rome was an issue.

The problem is one known for a long time.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
And what does any of THAT have to do with gay people in the USA today? Oh... NOTHING!
Examplesof what the practice leads to. Most never learn from history.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:11 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Gay marriage is not Christian states may pass laws that pave the way for this but not okay in the sight of God. As people have stated we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but God does, He is the final jugdement not humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.