Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

A teacher in a California public school district is being sued for allegedly making derogatory comments about the Christian faith during class time.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/12/teacher_accused_of_making_disp.php (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A teacher in a California public school district is being sued for allegedly making derogatory comments about the Christian faith during class time.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/2007/12/teacher_accused_of_making_disp.php (broken link)
Quite frankly, the complainant should be embarrassed he brought this suit. As far as I am concerned, this is a frivolous action. Next, the complainant better hope he received permission from the instructor and everyone in the class to "record." In California, it is a crime to record conversations without the permission of the participants. It's considered a form of electronic eavesdropping and is a violation of California’s Invasion of Privacy Act. Even reporters and news crews must receive permission before recording.

Last edited by SergeantL; 12-17-2007 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 09:23 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
I think part of getting an education is being able to stand to question the things you accepted as truth before. If you aren't being challenged in that way, something's not right. Seems like you might as well stay home. But that article makes it sound like that guy just went crazy with it, demeaning Christians because he felt like it, not having an intelligent discussion or debate over issues.

Regardless, I agree that it's a waste of time, and it's also going to look bad if the student didn't have permission to record the teacher's lectures.

I once had an instructor criticize Christianity in front of the class, I guess I could say, but it wasn't the same as this. She was pointing out what she didn't agree with in a certain part of the Old Testament (we were reading it as literature), and she waited for people to chime in with their opinions. No one did, and so she continued and talked about how difficult it is to uphold some of the doctrine in Christianity, how she personally thinks that Christians who can consistently "turn the other cheek" no matter what happens to them are admirable. She waited for other people to weigh in, and no one ever did, so she just moved on to another part of her lecture.

I had another instructor, however, who I thought got really carried away. We read a play by a Jewish playwright, and she told the class, "I doubt any of you have ever seen a Jew." (It just so happened that a guy in our class was Jewish). She went on to say that they're "pathetic," and their belief system is a "miserable one to follow," involving "so much guilt." She shook her head with something I guess she thought was sympathy and went on to discuss the play. I was appalled, but didn't think to protest anything.

Honestly, I'm not sure what is permissible and what is just disrespectful. I thought I'd have my mind made up by the time I finished typing this post, but I still don't know what all should be par for the course (no pun intended) or something an instructor really should just keep to him or herself and keep out of the classroom.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:25 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,818 times
1. It is a stupid lawsuit.

2. The teacher shouldn't have said what he said.

Lets take this in context...

Say this happened in the deep south.. and lets say a teacher said "If you take off your [insert religious group or ethnic group here] glasses you'll see more clearly.."

Oh lord.. there would be talk about how the South is still backward.. how its nothing but inbreds and hillbillies.. etc etc.

It doesn't so much offend me as a Christian.. It offends me as an American that Jesus is even talked about in a public school.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:44 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

The person bringing that lawsuit doesn't understand the activity of 'education'.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:07 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
I'd love to debate that teacher. That's when you find out how little they know what they are talking about. And these people are teaching our students?! I believe in free speech, but in the class room, a teacher should not give a biased opinion on something such as religion, politics and the like. Present the facts, then let the kids decide.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
a teacher should not give a biased opinion on something such as religion, politics and the like. Present the facts, then let the kids decide.
Nick, I teach part time at several colleges. Of the various topics I teach, two of them are politics and government. In an attempt to stimulate discussion, I will often make a controversial statement in class. It motivates the student to become involved and beats the heck out of simply having students regurgitate the “yearbook” answer. The reality of life is much more than multiple choice or true and false answers. The goal is to teach students to think.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
I'd love to debate that teacher. That's when you find out how little they know what they are talking about. And these people are teaching our students?! I believe in free speech, but in the class room, a teacher should not give a biased opinion on something such as religion, politics and the like. Present the facts, then let the kids decide.
But what isn't biased? It seems like when you get down to it, the only subject that isn't remotely biased is physics. Sometimes merely reading a certain text in a class is political, the discussion part aside. Just reading the book in a classroom setting is a political statement. I used to think we had to stay away from such things in a classroom, but I've come to think it's impossible. It wouldn't be education.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,714,689 times
Great, but this guy made "many derogatory comments toward Christianity and conservatives." for about 20 minutes. He goes on to say, "when you put your Jesus glasses on, you can't see the truth."

The problem? Well, try saying something positive about Christianity and you will get sued. Take your pick from the handfull of cases the ACLU is doing.

All I am saying is that we need to have elements from both sides, then we can stimulate discussion, otherwise you risk another Columbia University or having a professor kicked out of a univeristy because he believed in Intelligent Design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity