Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM

550 posts, read 516,653 times

Advertisements

Do We Need The Old Testament To Prove Jesus Is the Son of God?

Yes.

And We need the OT and NT regardless anyway to know what's going on in the Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 12:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,131 times
Romans 15:4 "For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope".

Old 07-03-2014, 01:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
I am old school when it comes to the scriptures, and if it is not found in the scriptures or is in the same spirit of the scriptures i do not take any heed to what is being said, it is the main reason i reject orthodox fundamental christianity, because its beliefs are not scriptual nor more importantly in the spirit of the scriptures. Do the scriptures prove Jesus is the Christ ? Yes, do we need them to prove that he is ?. Not at all

When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"

Last edited by pcamps; 07-03-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 01:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I am old school when it comes to the scriptures, and if it is not found in the scriptures or is in the same spirit of the scriptures i do not take any heed to what is being said, it is the main reason i reject orthodox fundamental christianity, because its beliefs are not scriptual nor more importantly in the spirit of the scriptures. Do the scriptures prove Jesus is the Christ ? Yes, do we need them to prove that he is ?.

When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus saw the earthquake and all that had happened, they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"
Remember that they will have heard about him and maybe even heard him speak, he came to Jerusalem quite a few times and word does get around. They may have known what was said of him and this confirmed it.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Honestly, I could go with the verses Jesus said about Himself being legitimate prophecies. But the others just so cryptic and vague as to be applicable to just about anybody.

Look at Nostradamus:

Beasts ferocious from hunger will swim across rivers: (true--Europe was starving after WW1)
The greater part of the region will be against the "hister" (Hitler) (true--the Allies all ganged up against Hitler)
The great one will cause it to be dragged in an iron cage (true--USA was the "great one" who defeated Hitler)
When the Germany child will observe nothing (true--Hitler was Germany's leader and Nazism crept up on Germany almost unnoticed)

Is this an accurate prophecy about Hitler and WW2? Sure looks to be. In many respects it looks to be more accurate than any Biblical prophecy because it gives the name of the defeated leader 500 years before he came on the scene and records his downfall and who defeated him.

My point being that the fact a seer accurately prophesized about Hitler is just a novelty which doesn't affect Hitler's actions, horrible as they were.

Hitler would have come on the scene with or without Nostradamus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Remember that they will have heard about him and maybe even heard him speak, he came to Jerusalem quite a few times and word does get around. They may have known what was said of him and this confirmed it.
Paul never used scripture in telling the Athenians about Jesus being their Savior. In fact i think it was one of the best messages he preached.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They probably went to secret bible studies too ?

Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
I am old school when it comes to the scriptures, and if it is not found in the scriptures or is in the same spirit of the scriptures i do not take any heed to what is being said, it is the main reason i reject orthodox fundamental christianity, because its beliefs are not scriptual nor more importantly in the spirit of the scriptures. Do the scriptures prove Jesus is the Christ ? Yes, do we need them to prove that he is ?.

On the contrary. Fundamentalism adheres to the teachings of the Bible. Such as the following:

The term "fundamentalism" has its roots in the Niagara Bible Conference (1878–1897), which defined those tenets it considered fundamental to Christian belief. The term was popularized by the The Fundamentals, a collection of twelve books on five subjects published in 1910 and funded by the brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart. This series of essays came to be representative of the "Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy", which appeared late in the 19th century within some Protestant denominations in the United States, and continued in earnest through the 1920s. The first formulation of American fundamentalist beliefs can be traced to the Niagara Bible Conference and, in 1910, to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, which distilled these into what became known as the "five fundamentals":[8]

Biblical inspiration and the inerrancy of scripture as a result of this

Virgin birth of Jesus

Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin

Bodily resurrection of Jesus

Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus

8. Jump up ^ George M. Marsden, "Fundamentalism and American Culture", (1980) part III

Fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,918,389 times
Those who so strongly believe in the bible, I wonder how many have read Thomas Paine "The Age of Reason"?

Paine does a masterful job of showing the bible is errant, by using the bible.... not an outside source.

If you haven't read it, you should. Keep an open mind. There are many OT 'prophecies' Paine shows are false, and why, using only the bible.

My bet is not one of the fundies will actually read it.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
On the contrary. Fundamentalism adheres to the teachings of the Bible. Such as the following:

The term "fundamentalism" has its roots in the Niagara Bible Conference (1878–1897), which defined those tenets it considered fundamental to Christian belief. The term was popularized by the The Fundamentals, a collection of twelve books on five subjects published in 1910 and funded by the brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart. This series of essays came to be representative of the "Fundamentalist-Modernist Controversy", which appeared late in the 19th century within some Protestant denominations in the United States, and continued in earnest through the 1920s. The first formulation of American fundamentalist beliefs can be traced to the Niagara Bible Conference and, in 1910, to the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church, which distilled these into what became known as the "five fundamentals":[8]

Biblical inspiration and the inerrancy of scripture as a result of this

Virgin birth of Jesus

Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin

Bodily resurrection of Jesus

Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus

8. Jump up ^ George M. Marsden, "Fundamentalism and American Culture", (1980) part III

Fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I disagree, its roots are in handed down traditions, which traditions have leavened tbe whole of scripture. It looks like bread, but tastes like it ? No way Jose.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Paul never used scripture in telling the Athenians about Jesus being their Savior. In fact i think it was one of the best messages he preached.
Actually he did.

Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. 17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

They would have been discussing scripture in the synagogue and then the same subject in the market place.

Also Corinth:

KJV Acts 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;
2 And found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately come from Italy, with his wife Priscilla; (because that Claudius had commanded all Jews to depart from Rome and came unto them.
3 And because he was of the same craft, he abode with them, and wrought: for by their occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

KJV 1 Corinthians 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Referencing:

KJV Jeremiah 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Obviously there were very few of what we call NT books available, as he wrote most of them, but he did quote the OT frequently and would in a synagogue as such was a part of such meetings there.

He used scripture to support his message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity