Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:14 PM

88,696 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
it would seem that your Christian God hates everybody whether you're a sinner are not, is it wrong not to believe in your Christian God?and why is it a sin if you don't?and just exactly what is it that makes it a sin? is your Christian God going to hate everybody who doesn't believe in him? if that's the case he's got a whole lot of hate to go around.
And isn't it amazing that these people always claim that God hates the exact same people they hate?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,730,587 times
The dichotomy of God is that He both HATES and LOVES the sinner--not just the sin. God is not one-sided. He is not just an infinitely loving God. He is also infinitely JUST. He must deal with sin, and He must punish the sinner.

The real problem, particularly in the U.S., is that it is easy to get men saved. Read any of the easy-believer posts and you will find a one-time prayer is an all-time ticket to Heaven. What is hard to do is get men lost. And until they are lost, they cannot be saved. The easy believers suborn the doctrine of justification with that of the doctrine of regeneration. So, too, I think sometimes the "God loves everybody" folks suborn Gods hatred of sin and sinners and thereby minimize the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

When we come face to face with our own depravity, with our own sinful nature, with our own separation from God, it is only then that we understand the other side of God--His love, in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

On another thread, someone posed the question, "Would you die for Christ?" I have a harder question. Would you sacrifice your son or daughter for your belief in Jesus? Not many of us are willing to go there. But that is exactly what God did in sacrificing His Son for our sins. He hates sin and sinners so much, that the only thing justice would demand is our complete destruction. Instead He sent His son to die for our sins.

We can only understand God's love if the basis of that understanding is in just how much God hates sinners. And the reason I can stick up for every other kind of sinner whom God hates, is because I'm a sinner whom God hates as well. None of us have any hope outside the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ.

Paul wrote "Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?" (Rom.2:4)

There is no need of repentance if God is simply infinitely loving.

Sometimes I think folks for whom I have great respect mix up God's benevolence with complacency on His part. God hates sin AND sinners. And He hates both so much that He had to send the ultimate sacrifice so that those who are born again---regenerated into a new person by the power of Jesus--will have any hope at all come judgment day.

And for those of you who point over and over to Jesus words, take heed. Jesus spoke more about hell than any other person in the Bible. So being a totally red-letter Bible reader (which I have a tendency to be myself) should not one BELIEVE all of what Jesus taught?

Quote:
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28

Old 07-11-2014, 01:27 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

One would only say that if one believes our repentance is for God's benefit. It is not, it is for ours.

As far as who can destroy both body and soul in "hell" ... God is not the destroyer, satan is.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM

550 posts, read 517,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am saddened by this thread, brother. The Bible IS NOT the word of God!
How do YOU know? Yeshua taught from it. Yet you believe in him?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Paul wrote "Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?" (Rom.2:4)
You have somehow bought into the straw man beliefs, Warden. Repentance is essential because it is the only way to change the unlove that you have exhibited in the past. We either repent of it or it will be refined out as dross. Those are the only options. God only loves us and is saddened (not angered) when we fail and miss the mark (sin) because of the consequences we heap upon ourselves. He will not add to what we have already reaped, Warden. That is why we have Christ . . . to mitigate our consequences through repentance and "love of God and each other."

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
One would only say that if one believes our repentance is for God's benefit. It is not, it is for ours.
As far as who can destroy both body and soul in "hell" ... God is not the destroyer, satan is.
Amen! I fear that I will never be able to rep you again at the rate you are posting such gems, Pleroo!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Warden,it is the love of God that causes us to repent. Do not be put off by those who pass off love as being wishy washy lovey dovey hippy emotional hogwash cloud your sound judgement. Love is the alpha and omega of all things,and things in between that may seem contrary to it,always on reflection have love written all over it.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am saddened by this thread, brother. The Bible IS NOT the word of God! Jesus is and He did not rely on wirtten words to convey His revelation of God's true nature and agape love for us all. He wrote nothing. He used His life and body to make it unambiguous. He knew that the written word failed and can too easily be misinterpreted and corrupted by lying scribes, false teachers, etc. That is why He used His life and unambiguous death as His Gospel. He smote no one and loved even His torturers and murderers because they knew not what they did. That is an unambiguous message of agape love, Warden. Retaining the evil beliefs about God from the OT and those that infiltrated into the NT corrupts your understanding of God and agape love. It is an evil doctrine of savage barbarians that should never have survived into the 21st century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
How do YOU know? Yeshua taught from it. Yet you believe in him?
I did NOT say it doesn't CONTAIN inspirations from God. It tells us of Jesus who IS the Word of God. But it is NOT the 100% inerrant word of God. We know too much about the human "sausage making" that went into its compilation to accept that silly and unnecessary doctrine of men.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,264,200 times
Quote:
So I take it from the above posters that both Old and New Testaments are incorrect in their reports concerning God.

The Bible doesn't say God hates the sin but loves the sinner. It says He HATES the sinner. And since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, the only hope for mankind is through His Son Jesus Christ.

None of you believe Jesus Christ is the Truth, the Way, and the Life? And He is all that because God HATES the sinner and knows there is no hope for any of us outside redemption through Jesus?
Fred Phelps? Is that you? Back from the grave?

This just proves my point of how ridiculous organized religion really can be. No matter what Christian church YOU belong to, there are other Christians who think you're wrong and going to hell

Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,730,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Except that was not what Jesus said. Are you able to accept all He said about loving our enemies, but not about fearing Him who can destroy both body AND soul? Satan is not a great destroyer, for he, himself will be destroyed in the end. Or will Satan as a created being be saved also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity