Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM

550 posts, read 517,048 times

Advertisements

..All we need to know is "Jesus is Love"

Since you people say that's all we need. why do we need all the OT and NT, 10 Commandments, etc.. just to find that one thing that will save us all?

You mean to tell me a book that predates all of us, has been held to the highest regard of all books and all that we need to know from it is that Jesus is Love?.

Got to me more to it than that right Christians?

Last edited by OneFormula; 07-17-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 09:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
While I agree with the lament that many people don't recognize the need for doctrine or theological discussion, I find it ironic that the one chastising people for failing to look to the Bible regularly refers to Jesus by a name that the Bible does not use.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
I'm not sure who said all we need to know is "Jesus is Love". It's true, Jesus IS love. But the holy bible, in its entirety, is about Jesus Christ. John Chapter 1 Verse 1: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

"The Word", being the Holy Bible, was with God, and the Word, again, being the Holy Bible, was God. The Word is Jesus Christ. So in the beginning, Jesus Christ was with God, and Jesus Christ WAS God - being a part of the Holy Trinity. So the Holy Bible is Jesus Christ. It's not obvious that passages in the bible - especially passages in the Old Testament, refer to Christ, but they do. So, asking why do we need the Holy Bible is kind of like saying, "Why do we need Jesus Christ?"

I understand that even certain "Christian" secs may not believe that the entire Holy Bible is God inspired, but that is what I believe. As a Christian and as a member of a church whose pastor does a brilliant job in making sense of the bible, I can see more clearly the importance of all of the bible, and how it perfectly ties into Jesus' life - from Genesis to Revelations. Mind you, I'm no bible scholar and don't claim to be. But I do understand the importance of the Holy Bible, and I believe when a church gets away from being biblically sound, they are in essence, moving away from Christ.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
..All we need to know is "Jesus is Love"

Since you people say that's all we need. why do we need all the OT and NT, 10 Commandments, etc.. just to find that one thing that will save us all?

You mean to tell me a book that predates all of us, has been held to the highest regard of all books and all that we need to know from it is that Jesus is Love?.

Got to me more to it than that right "Christians"?
If you use your common sense, if we all loved one another in this universe along with loving the Father's Son, Jesus Christ as He died for our sins , as individuals we have to have a change of mind and heart stave away from our old sins as we can't keep living in them. When our focus is on the Lord and not of earthly desires our capacity to sin goes away as we want to be more Christ-Like.

So One-Formula just accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and quit bonking yourself over the head about all of the 613 laws that you might have broken today, come to the Lord and you will have a sense of happiness and joy. If you broken one of the commandments it is if you have broken them all, so come today as "Death is like a thief in the night", so come you sinner come before it is too late.

You can't save yourself

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I'm not sure who said all we need to know is "Jesus is Love". It's true, Jesus IS love. But the holy bible, in its entirety, is about Jesus Christ. John Chapter 1 Verse 1: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

"The Word", being the Holy Bible, was with God, and the Word, again, being the Holy Bible, was God. The Word is Jesus Christ. So in the beginning, Jesus Christ was with God, and Jesus Christ WAS God - being a part of the Holy Trinity. So the Holy Bible is Jesus Christ. It's not obvious that passages in the bible - especially passages in the Old Testament, refer to Christ, but they do. So, asking why do we need the Holy Bible is kind of like saying, "Why do we need Jesus Christ?"

I understand that even certain "Christian" secs may not believe that the entire Holy Bible is God inspired, but that is what I believe. As a Christian and as a member of a church whose pastor does a brilliant job in making sense of the bible, I can see more clearly the importance of all of the bible, and how it perfectly ties into Jesus' life - from Genesis to Revelations. Mind you, I'm no bible scholar and don't claim to be. But I do understand the importance of the Holy Bible, and I believe when a church gets away from being biblically sound, they are in essence, moving away from Christ.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
.....I find it ironic that the one chastising people for failing to look to the Bible regularly refers to Jesus by a name that the Bible does not use.

Hmmmm..... maybe we are in the End Times. I've agreed with Viz three times in three weeks now.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

The majority of the Christianity forum thinks so. I've already debated numerous pages on it.

so just to be clear that if The Holy Bible is not needed. because there's a lot of cherrypicking on scriptures and that's not right. so just throw it away if Christians are going to do that. right?

agape love, somebody said, is ALL we need. . so is that person correct?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
The majority of the Christianity forum thinks so. I've already debated numerous pages on it.

so just to be clear that if The Holy Bible is not needed. because there's a lot of cherrypicking on scriptures and that's not right. so just throw it away if Christians are going to do that. right?

agape love, somebody said, is ALL we need. . so is that person correct?
I would (and have) asked that person to prove his opinion. He has yet to give me any proof. Because he has no authority to speak for God, and he can't point to an authority that can.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Why the long face? you are one of the ones that has cherrypicked a few scriptures on here. so I can ask YOU, do you really need your Bible since Agape Love is ALL we need, as noted by one of the posters here?

Old 07-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would (and have) asked that person to prove his opinion. He has yet to give me any proof. Because he has no authority to speak for God, and he can't point to an authority that can.
But they aren't trying to provide any proof. just a broken record response of Agape Love...Agape Love...Agape Love....so HOW can you get blood from a turnip I ask you?

*Personally I would tell that person to throw away their Bible because they already have it all figured out. why have them prove something so out of line with scripture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity