Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,731 times

Advertisements

Disclaimer: I'm new to the religion section of this forum...sorry if this is a duplicate thread.
------------------------------------------------

I was raised Presbyterian and this is something that i've always wondered.

1) We presume that God is all knowing.

2) We presume that God is all powerful.

3) We presume that God is infallable.

Therefore, God knows all that has happened, is happening, and will happen because he has willed it and is without error.

If we follow the path of this...our destiny is laid out. What we do in the future is predestined by a perfect, all knowing, all power, infallable being.

Does a possibility exist for us to deviate from this? How is this compatable with Free Will? Do humans have free will at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
God knowing what free will decisions we will make before we make them does not negate our own free will. He does not choose our decisions for us. We are still free to choose.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:29 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
There's a undoubtable argument against free will - it's not scriptural.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
There's a undoubtable argument against free will - it's not scriptural.

Right this doctrine of free will in not in The Bible.

But, "Free Will" is listed in The Dictionary as a "Doctrine".

Whose 'doctrine' does 'free will' reside for? The World.

And God's people believe God gave it to everyone.

Nope, The World did.

When I ask God's people: 'what is your will free of'?

They say, 'We're Free To Chose. God Gave Us FREE Will.'

God Gives Commandments. Not Choices.

"Of The Tree 0f The Knowledge 0f Good And Evil You Shall Not Eat...." - Gen.2:17

The 10 Commandment:

"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."
"Thou Shall Not..."

Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Yes, God is all knowing, but that does Not mean he created angels and humans without free will.
God chose to make angels and humans as free moral agents with the ability to choose or think for oneself.
That means God does not interfere with our choices. Just as God did not interfere with Adam's choice.
So, although God has the power, God refrains or chooses not to use his power to control us as robots or automatons.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
God knowing what free will decisions we will make before we make them does not negate our own free will. He does not choose our decisions for us. We are still free to choose.
I see what you're saying but do you think it is theoretically possible for you to divert from the path God has chosen for you? God knows what you'll do tomorrow...God knows when/if you'll respond to this post...he knows it with infallability because he is ALL knowing. If he has predestined this to be so...could you contradict it?

I think the answer to that is no...it logically must be NO if God is how we understand him from scripture.

We don't have free will. Our actions and choices correspond to the actions that are compatable with our predestined path but to say that those choices are truly ours is incorrect.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,183,286 times
I think we're confusing "free will" with what I call the Backyard Theory.

God's dominion is of course everything in your life, and there are many things in your life for you to "play with" - to learn from, to discover, etc - like toys in a backyard. Things that can surely hurt you & help you...

...but there is a fence out there that you cannot go beyond.

Also, what is free about a will that's changed by something as small as a traffic jam? An illness? A kind or harsh word?

We're much more fragile than we think.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,013 times
"The One Who is operating all in accord with the counsel of His will." (Eph. 1:11).
that is what God thinks...hah
" ... for it is GOD Who is operating in you TO WILL as well as to work for the sake of
His delight" (Phil. 2:13).
i do my own will, and my own delight

"Verily, verily, I am saying to you, The Son can not be doing anything of Himself ...
" (John 5:19).
but i sure can do anything of myself
" ... apart from Me you can do nothing." (Jn. 15:5).
you wannt bet i can God?

"It is not in man to direct his own steps" (Jer. 10:23).
well... let me think.... i am more than a man!

Freewill, keep drinking the kool aid.
every choice you make is caused by an effect. who causes that effect? you cannot make a free choice. by the way.... what flavor is that kool aid. i always liked flavor purple.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:38 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Default Does Predestination Negate Free Will

Predestination is a false doctrine that is an attempt to use a "Get out of responsibility free" card. Without responsibility . . . we can never be held accountable for ANYTHING. It is a corrupt and insidious doctrine that negates Christ's Gospel and eliminates ANY responsibility to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. It takes "easy believism" to the extreme. We are BOUND by God's laws (physical and spiritual) as little elmer says with his backyard fence analogy. But within those bounds . . . WE have been given Dominion by God's Sovereign Will. Christ abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to help us cope with the things we must learn so we can "overcome and endure" whatever we face.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Predestination is a false doctrine that is an attempt to use a "Get out of responsibility free" card. Without responsibility . . . we can never be held accountable for ANYTHING. It is a corrupt and insidious doctrine that negates Christ's Gospel and eliminates ANY responsibility to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. It takes "easy believism" to the extreme. We are BOUND by God's laws (physical and spiritual) as little elmer says with his backyard fence analogy. But within those bounds . . . WE have been given Dominion by God's Sovereign Will. Christ abides with us as the Comforter (Holy Spirit) to help us cope with the things we must learn so we can "overcome and endure" whatever we face.
Predestination isn't a "get out of jail free card." Our actions are compatable with God's preordained path for us, but to say that we choose our actions free of any intervention isn't compatable with our conception of God. To say that we are simply fenced in "yard" with toys to play with is well and good but it doesn't negate that God KNOWS which toys we will play with and how we will play with them. Further...God willed our future actions into being. God knew that I would play with the paddle-ball over the marbles from the moment I was conceived which is logically incompatable with me choosing to do so.

I believe in God because I have faith that I am predestined to be saved. I believe as though I am acting according to my predestined path. I don't feel that I can behave differently therefore my actions, which may seem like my own, are merely compatable with God's will for me. The cards will fall where they fall. I don't think we possess the ability to comprehend our human condition or consciouness anymore than infant can understand linear algebra. The knowledge exists...just not within our realm of understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity