Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 01:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So being against sin and seeking righteous is sick and twisted? Your distortion of Christian is amazing. The faith I believe in teaches that EVERY human being is a unique creation and has value to God. So someone who is hopelessly hooked on meth like Brian Head Welch can find new life and meaning. A prostitute who is treated like a worthless human being can leave that lifestyle and know that God created her, loves her and designed her for a purpose. Part of that unique design is that we all have individual talents and abilities. (another thing evolution can't explain)

It teaches helping others beyond our own selfish desires in love and forgiveness. Is that really twisted? So as you see more people leave Christianity then you see the suicide rate go up because in your world, there is no hope, no peace, no self-worth beyond the luck that random forces gives you.
And do you think your pointing your finger and crying "sinner, sinner, sinner," will get anyone saved? Have you influenced any "atheists" to think differently about your brand of Christianity? Why not?
Many of those committing suicide, like LBGTQ people do so because of religious bullying either cyber or face-to-face. Your sour beliefs are what is killing some people, incessant war for the past 17 years started under false pretenses and unabated by any in political office is killing many veterans, and also is driving away otherwise good-hearted people because of the ugliness that has risen its viper-like head among evangelicals.

Quote:
I don't think it's fair, but anything involving sin is hardly fair. Is it fair that a rock star can sleep with a 1000 women and not get a STD, but joe blow gets HIV after a few sexual encounters? A just God is under no obligation to make everything equal and exactly fair in this lifetime. But we have the promise that our eternal life will be wonderful and pain free.
There are as many good christians (percentage wise) dying of cancer as atheists.

A just God depends on YOU to provide mercy (mercy in the Bible is mistranslated and means "compassion" in most instances), so why aren't you providing compassion to those who don't believe in God. Jesus did--with the "taliban" of His day--the Samaritans. You needn't condemn sin. You should focus on that compassion which draws men toward repentance.
Quote:
Or do you disregard the riches of His kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you to repentance?
Roman 2:4
If you believe that verse to be true, why not practice it with others instead of condemning them as "liberal atheists?"

Spending all your time dreaming about heaven isn't being a worker in the field of humanity. Stop dwelling on your promises and start focusing on you duty to follow Christ in love and acceptance of "sinners." The only people Jesus spoke harshly towards---were the Pharisees. Hypocritical religionists who knew their Bibles forwards and backwards but were unable to separate wheat from chaff in the Scripture.
Quote:
Nope, God had a plan to save humanity and destroy sin once and for all. The Old Covenant served a purpose as part of that plan. If you want to blame someone, blame Satan for making people's lives miserable.
God was more concerned with SAVING humanity than PUNISHING sin. That's why Scripture reads

Quote:
For if, when we were enemies of God, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life!
Romans 5:10

Gee, it doesn't even say "believe" in that verse--just that God reconciled ENEMIES to Himself. If the atheist and "liberals" are your enemies why aren't you trying to live like Jesus and reconcile them to God?

Blame "Satan?" Why not blame yourself for your shortcomings---I've read and studied Scripture far longer than you and I've never excused my own sinfulness for "Satan made me do it." That sounds like the Church Lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTSuiaDe0A

Last edited by Wardendresden; 08-27-2017 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 05:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And do you think your pointing your finger and crying "sinner, sinner, sinner," will get anyone saved? Have you influenced any "atheists" to think differently about your brand of Christianity? Why not?

Many of those committing suicide, like LBGTQ people do so because of religious bullying either cyber or face-to-face. Your sour beliefs are what is killing some people, incessant war for the past 17 years started under false pretenses and unabated by any in political office is killing many veterans, and also is driving away otherwise good-hearted people because of the ugliness that has risen its viper-like head among evangelicals.

There are as many good christians (percentage wise) dying of cancer as atheists.

A just God depends on YOU to provide mercy (mercy in the Bible is mistranslated and means "compassion" in most instances), so why aren't you providing compassion to those who don't believe in God. Jesus did--with the "taliban" of His day--the Samaritans. You needn't condemn sin. You should focus on that compassion which draws men toward repentance.
Roman 2:4
If you believe that verse to be true, why not practice it with others instead of condemning them as "liberal atheists?"

Spending all your time dreaming about heaven isn't being a worker in the field of humanity. Stop dwelling on your promises and start focusing on you duty to follow Christ in love and acceptance of "sinners." The only people Jesus spoke harshly towards---were the Pharisees. Hypocritical religionists who knew their Bibles forwards and backwards but were unable to separate wheat from chaff in the Scripture.
God was more concerned with SAVING humanity than PUNISHING sin. That's why Scripture reads

Romans 5:10

Gee, it doesn't even say "believe" in that verse--just that God reconciled ENEMIES to Himself. If the atheist and "liberals" are your enemies why aren't you trying to live like Jesus and reconcile them to God?

Blame "Satan?" Why not blame yourself for your shortcomings---I've read and studied Scripture far longer than you and I've never excused my own sinfulness for "Satan made me do it." That sounds like the Church Lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RTSuiaDe0A
I've sat in the real Church of Satan, and saw it pass out its judgments on people not like them.
As if, they were morally superior to others, just because they professed in the blood of Jesus.

What I found is that a vast majority were nothing more than self-righteous hypocrites.
Albeit, not all - as there were some who didn't follow the majority in there thinking.

And when the didn't - they were shunned and kicked to the curb.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
It seems there is so much ignorance concerning the Bible, by Christians as well as non-Christians. And I realize it would be a little unfair for people who never grew up in church to understand the context of the Bible, especially the Old Testament law. So let me give you the really short version. The O.T. law was given to prove to man that he could not achieve righteousness on his own merits. God gave us 613 laws, not just the 10. Many of them seemed quite ridiculous, which was part of the point, but most did have symbolic value also. Jesus came when he felt man was finally ready to receive a righteousness by his works, not ours. You can live under law, but you will be judged under it if you do. I choose grace. By the way, if you really believe the law about bastard children is still on the books then I better not catch you eating pork, shrimp, a rare steak, mingling more than one type of fabric into your clothing, wearing ripped jeans....ya, it goes on and on. You can't just pick out the ones that seem bad to you...it's all the law or none of it. Good luck with that. Did I tell you, I choose grace!

Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Nice oldie thread to bring back for our enjoyment and amusement.

The title sounds like somebody's sick idea for a wrestling match. I can see it now on TV:

"My god will beat up your god! Your god hates bastards and little birds! He's goin' down"

Old 10-03-2018, 04:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiankun View Post
It seems there is so much ignorance concerning the Bible, by Christians as well as non-Christians. And I realize it would be a little unfair for people who never grew up in church to understand the context of the Bible, especially the Old Testament law. So let me give you the really short version. The O.T. law was given to prove to man that he could not achieve righteousness on his own merits. God gave us 613 laws, not just the 10. Many of them seemed quite ridiculous, which was part of the point, but most did have symbolic value also. Jesus came when he felt man was finally ready to receive a righteousness by his works, not ours. You can live under law, but you will be judged under it if you do. I choose grace. By the way, if you really believe the law about bastard children is still on the books then I better not catch you eating pork, shrimp, a rare steak, mingling more than one type of fabric into your clothing, wearing ripped jeans....ya, it goes on and on. You can't just pick out the ones that seem bad to you...it's all the law or none of it. Good luck with that. Did I tell you, I choose grace!

Welcome. I hope you hang around but suspect you won't.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:02 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And the bible sayeths, so it must be true:
Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
So how the heck is this the fault of the bastard? How can anyone look at a child born out of wedlock, use the pejorative "bastard", and not only that, insist that the all loving, omnipotent, sentient, invisible sky-king would damn not only that poor innocent child, which had nothing to do with being in the circumstances it finds itself in, but a further TEN generations of its offspring are damned also.

I know, I can just see it now... "That was the old law" and "Jesus fulfilled it".

Horse puckey. No where does it say anything in the NT that this has been abolished. Besides, there is no reason other than prejudice that it was in there in the first place.

What an abhorrent, hurtful, deceitful book.
Little rough on yourself, don’t you think?

Old 10-03-2018, 05:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Little rough on yourself, don’t you think?
You’re such a nice Christian...

Old 10-07-2018, 05:54 AM

36 posts, read 27,062 times
I believe it was to keep the heritage pure, possibly because of what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah, where all kinds of inter-mixing were practiced. I doubt this carries over to the Christians, since as long as you are truly sorry for your own sins and repent and follow Jesus, your salvation is supposed to be secure.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:16 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And the bible sayeths, so it must be true:
Deuteronomy 23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
So how the heck is this the fault of the bastard? How can anyone look at a child born out of wedlock, use the pejorative "bastard", and not only that, insist that the all loving, omnipotent, sentient, invisible sky-king would damn not only that poor innocent child, which had nothing to do with being in the circumstances it finds itself in, but a further TEN generations of its offspring are damned also.

I know, I can just see it now... "That was the old law" and "Jesus fulfilled it".

Horse puckey. No where does it say anything in the NT that this has been abolished. Besides, there is no reason other than prejudice that it was in there in the first place.

What an abhorrent, hurtful, deceitful book.
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: - Acts 10:34 kjv

The first thing you need to understand is that God IS NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION.

Neither am I.

The reason God forbade sex out of wedlock was to preserve the Hebrew race and religion.

Many incidents are chronicled in the pages of the Bible which demonstrate God's disdain of marriage of His people, the Jews, to outside foreign women and men. Marriage is the seal of a family relationship and sex outside of marriage particularly among the heathen was forbidden. Outside interests of a non-religion related coupling inevitably to corruption of the family faith and devotion to God.

King Solomon was said to be the wisest of Hebrew kings, but disobeyed God and married women outside the Hebrew race. For this he was punished with the loss of his administrative legacy.

Those who seek to know God must learn God's will and not assert their own.

God is not interested in popular opinion.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 10-07-2018, 06:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
A bastard or mamzer is not due to birth outside of wedlock but birth due to forbidden unions...Therefore, a person may be born to a married couple and still be a mamzer or bastard...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity