Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,410,250 times

Advertisements

Now that we have seen that the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation have NO foundation in scripture let take a look at some scripture the shows forth salvation after death.

Romans 14:10-12
10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Philippians 2:5-11
5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Now the argument that those who believe in eternal torment and annihilation make concerning these verses goes something like this. That every knee bowing means that some will bow in worship and some will be made to bow. That some will confess Jesus Christ is Lord and some will be forced to confess Jesus Christ is Lord.

However nothing in those scriptures state it the way those who believe in eternal torment and annihilation want to read it.

Let's take for instance the word bow, in the Greek the word is kampto, and it means to bend the knee in honour and religious veneration and it is only used for religious veneration in scripture.

Thus we can see that being made to bow as the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation is in complete error.

Now let's look at the other word, confess. The word confess here is the Greek word exomologeo meaning to acknowledge openly and joyfully, to celebrate in praise of ones honour.

Thus we can see that being forced to confess as the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation is again in complete error.

A couple of other things of note here is that God gets NO glory from lip service, which is all it would be if people are forced to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

And we also know that no man can say that Jesus Christ is Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 12:3
3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

And that confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10:10
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Another thing that those who believe in eternal torment and annihilation state is that those of us who believe the scriptures that state that God is the saviour of the WORLD or ALL MEN is that we take these scriptures out of context.

Well let's read them in context shall we.

Isaiah 45:20-23
20 Assemble yourselves and come; draw near together, ye that are escaped of the nations: they have no knowledge that set up the wood of their graven image, and pray unto a god that cannot save. 21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else. 23 I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

God just finished saying He was a just God and saviour, then says look unto me and be ye SAVED, ALL THE ENDS OF THE EARTH. Then God, because He can swear by none greater, swears by Himself that every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.

Thus the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation do not believe God can or will be able to perform that which He swore by Himself that He would do.

Now least someone say ,but those scriptures are only speaking of those who are alive ( and some have used this excuse to hold onto their erroneous doctrine). Look at what it states in Philippians 2:10-11

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

The scripture left NO doubt that it was speaking of EVERY knee and EVERY tongue.

Now lets look at some scripture that shows forth what happens AFTER the new heaven and earth has been established, AFTER the New Jerusalem has been set up, and AFTER all judgment has passed, the saints within the city gates, the sinner outside of the gates of the city.

Note: pay special attention to who is without the gates of the city.

Revelation 22:14-17
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Who is it that is without the gates of the city?
Who is it that has right to the tree of life?

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Do these scriptures not show that those without the gates of the city, the
dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie, have right to the tree of life? Do these scriptures not show that those without the gates may enter in through the gates into the city?

Of course they do, for who else is without the gates of the city but the dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. 17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

AFTER the new heaven and earth has been established, AFTER the New Jerusalem has been set up, and AFTER all judgment has passed the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation teach that the Spirit and the bride no longer say come, that those who hear cannot come, that those who thirst cannot come and take of the water of life freely.

Thus the doctrines of eternal torment and annihilation teach a different Gospel then the TRUE Gospel we are commanded to teach, which is:

1 Timothy 4:9-11
9This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. 10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God,who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. 11These things command and teach.

John 4:42
42 They told the woman, "We no longer have faith in Jesus just because of what you told us. We have heard him ourselves, and we are certain that he is the Savior of the world!"

1 John 4:14
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son the Saviour of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,257,596 times
Please explain Matthew 7:21-23...

Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,044,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

In complete Harmony with Universal Salvation since we believe only the righteous are saved.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy
name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

"That day" would be during the return of Christ when obviously there will be those that have done wickedly and those that have done righteously. Any many will think they were righteous when their deeds showed them to be wicked.

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Here is where a Judgement has taken place. Meaning IN THAT DAY there will be the righteous and the wicked. But THAT DAY is when the wicked shall be chastised. This is in complete Harmony with the Universal Salvation message. There is nothing in these verses that say the wicked shall never be redeemed only that it is clear that there is a separate between what is righteous and wicked or Approved and Unapproved.

AT THE END OF THAT DAY - ALL SHALL BE APPROVED.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:33 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,931,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

In complete Harmony with Universal Salvation since we believe only the righteous are saved.

Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy
name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

"That day" would be during the return of Christ when obviously there will be those that have done wickedly and those that have done righteously. Any many will think they were righteous when their deeds showed them to be wicked.

Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Here is where a Judgement has taken place. Meaning IN THAT DAY there will be the righteous and the wicked. But THAT DAY is when the wicked shall be chastised. This is in complete Harmony with the Universal Salvation message. There is nothing in these verses that say the wicked shall never be redeemed only that it is clear that there is a separate between what is righteous and wicked or Approved and Unapproved.

AT THE END OF THAT DAY - ALL SHALL BE APPROVED.

You need to learn Jesus truths---he taught clearly---Enter through the narrow gate, for cramped is the road that leads off into life( eternal) FEW will find it, For broad and spacious the path that leads to DESTRUCTION(Not eternal suffering)--many have entered this way--the same many Jesus mentions at Matt 7:21-23( this is the final judgement scenario)====destruction.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
You need to learn Jesus truths---he taught clearly---Enter through the narrow gate, for cramped is the road that leads off into life( eternal) FEW will find it, For broad and spacious the path that leads to DESTRUCTION(Not eternal suffering)--many have entered this way--the same many Jesus mentions at Matt 7:21-23( this is the final judgement scenario)====destruction.
Hi kjw47,

It doesn't say FEW will find it. It says FEW ARE FINDING IT (PRESENT TENSE). Many are being led by a lie about that verse and their ministers are preaching that FEW would EVER find it.

Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Mat_7:14 BecauseG3754 straitG4728 is theG3588 gate,G4439 andG2532 narrowG2346 is theG3588 way,G3598 whichG3588 leadethG520 untoG1519 life,G2222 andG2532 fewG3641 there beG1526 that findG2147 it.G846

Mat 7:14 | οτιG3754 CONJ | τιG5101 I-NSN | στενηG4728 A-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF πυληG4439 N-NSF καιG2532 CONJ τεθλιμμενηG2346 V-RPP-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF οδοςG3598 N-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF απαγουσαG520 V-PAP-NSF ειςG1519 PREP τηνG3588 T-ASF ζωηνG2222 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ ολιγοιG3641 A-NPM εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM ευρισκοντεςG2147 V-PAP-NPM αυτηνG846 P-ASF

PRESENT TENSE - V-PAP-NPM

PARSING CODES FOR VERB-RELATED FORMS
All Greek verbs are listed in one of three various forms:
1) V-tense-voice-mood
2) V-tense-voice-mood-person-number
3) V-tense-voice-mood-case-number-gender
The abbreviations which pertain to each of these categories are the following:
Tense:

P Present
I Imperfect
F Future
2F Second Future
A Aorist
2A Second Aorist
R peRfect
2R Second peRfect
L pLuperfect
2L Second pLuperfect
X no tense stated (adverbial imperative)
Voice:

A Active
M Middle
P Passive
E Either middle or passive
D middle Deponent
O passive depOnent
N middle or passive depoNent
Q impersonal active
X no voice stated
Mood:

I Indicative
S Subjunctive
O Optative
M iMperative
N iNfinitive
P Participle
R impeRative-sense participle

Old 08-27-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hi kjw47,

It doesn't say FEW will find it. It says FEW ARE FINDING IT (PRESENT TENSE). Many are being led by a lie about that verse and their ministers are preaching that FEW would EVER find it.

Mat_7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Mat_7:14 BecauseG3754 straitG4728 is theG3588 gate,G4439 andG2532 narrowG2346 is theG3588 way,G3598 whichG3588 leadethG520 untoG1519 life,G2222 andG2532 fewG3641 there beG1526 that findG2147 it.G846

Mat 7:14 | οτιG3754 CONJ | τιG5101 I-NSN | στενηG4728 A-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF πυληG4439 N-NSF καιG2532 CONJ τεθλιμμενηG2346 V-RPP-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF οδοςG3598 N-NSF ηG3588 T-NSF απαγουσαG520 V-PAP-NSF ειςG1519 PREP τηνG3588 T-ASF ζωηνG2222 N-ASF καιG2532 CONJ ολιγοιG3641 A-NPM εισινG1510 V-PAI-3P οιG3588 T-NPM ευρισκοντεςG2147 V-PAP-NPM αυτηνG846 P-ASF

PRESENT TENSE - V-PAP-NPM

PARSING CODES FOR VERB-RELATED FORMS
All Greek verbs are listed in one of three various forms:
1) V-tense-voice-mood
2) V-tense-voice-mood-person-number
3) V-tense-voice-mood-case-number-gender
The abbreviations which pertain to each of these categories are the following:
Tense:

P Present
I Imperfect
F Future
2F Second Future
A Aorist
2A Second Aorist
R peRfect
2R Second peRfect
L pLuperfect
2L Second pLuperfect
X no tense stated (adverbial imperative)
Voice:

A Active
M Middle
P Passive
E Either middle or passive
D middle Deponent
O passive depOnent
N middle or passive depoNent
Q impersonal active
X no voice stated
Mood:

I Indicative
S Subjunctive
O Optative
M iMperative
N iNfinitive
P Participle
R impeRative-sense participle

Jesus taught--- As in the days of Noah( 99%) the world took no note.This is speaking about the last days and the passing of Daniel-Rev prophecys before the worlds eyes, but Few see it happening.( with truth involved)

The history of mankind
1) Noahs day--8 humans knew God--99% mislead, 99% false religions
2) Israelite kings apostocised many times( most followers as well)= 99% mislead--99% false religions
3) Jesus, apostles, Christians all murdered--99% mislead--99% false religions
4) These last days---care to guess--Jesus said--FEW. On the other hand, said, many.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Quote:

So are you guys saying the scriptures I posted in post 191 are wrong because these scriptures say I never knew you? Do you not see that I never knew you is BEFORE the judgment? Did you not see that those WITHOUT the gate AFTER judgment still have right to the tree of life?

What you guys need and should be doing is seeing how you can reconcile these scriptures...

1 Timothy 4:9-11
9This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation. 10For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God,who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe. 11These things command and teach.

John 4:42
42 They told the woman, "We no longer have faith in Jesus just because of what you told us. We have heard him ourselves, and we are certain that he is the Savior of the world!"

1 John 4:14
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son the Saviour of the world.

.....with eternal torment or annihilation. They simply cannot be reconciled, what you end up doing is favoring you doctrinal understanding of certain scriptures over scripture that plainly says God is the saviour of the WORLD or ALL MEN.

Go ahead and try to reconcile them.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:58 AM

To get a clear picture of who the people are who God says I never knew you we need to look at both set of scriptures concerning this point.

Matthew 7:13-23
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Luke 13:23-30
23 Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them, 24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. 25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity. 28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

So who are these people that God says I never knew you to? And what two gates are being spoken of?

Let's look at who these people are first, then the gate that is being spoken of.

What do these scriptures tell us about the people God says I never knew you to?
Do not the scriptures tell us that these people SEEK to enter in? Do not these scriptures tell us that they have eaten in His presence and that God has taught in their streets. Do not these scriptures tell us that they have prophesied in His name, cast out devils in His name and done many wonderful works in His name?

So who are these people? Those who believe in eternal torment or annihilation would have us believe that these people are people that never knew God. However can this be correct? Can one who has not known God SEEK to enter in, can one who knows not God cast out devils and do many wonderful works in His name? Look at what happened to the sons of Sceva when they tried to cast out devil in Jesus name. Is it not obvious that those who know not Jesus CANNOT cast out devils.

So again I ask who are these people.

These people are Christians, for only Christians SEEK to enter in, only Christians can cast out devils and do many wonderful works in His name.

Read Revelation chapter 2 and 3 and you will see just who these Christians are.
They are those who have not overcome and must therefore have their part in the second death.

Now I know those who believe in eternal torment and annihilation say that what these Revelation scriptures are saying is that their are some people in the churches that are not really believers in Jesus and these scriptures are talking about them. However who are these scriptures addressed to? Are they not addressed to the ANGEL/MESSENGER of each church? And unless these messengers of the churches overcome they to will have their part in the second death.

So we can see that the people God said I never knew you are referring to Christians who have not overcome.

So why would God say to Christians that I never knew you?

To understand why God would say I never knew you to Christians one need to understand who the overcomers are. Those who overcome are the many membered body of Christ. I am not going to go into detail about this many membered body of Christ here, but for those interested read this link (below) where I do go into some detail about this body.

//www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/2179308-many-membered-body-christ.html

So let's look at some more scripture as to why God would say to Christians that have not overcome I never knew you.

Isaiah 42:5-8
5 Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein: 6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; 7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. 8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.

Now most people use this scripture to back up the belief in the trinity, but there is no trinity being spoken of here. What these scriptures are pointing out is that God will not give His glory to any other then the one who is a light to the gentiles, the one who opens blind eyes, and brings prisoners out of the prison houses.

What these scriptures point out to us is that God will not give His glory unto any other then Christ, and Christ is a many membered body, an overcoming body.

So why does God say to Christians who have not overcome I never knew you?
Because God will not give His glory to any other but to Christ alone. God cannot recognise anyone other then Christ. God cannot recognise anyone whose old man is still alive and active. So unless Christians wake up and become a member of the body of Christ/overcome you will hear God say to you, sorry I never knew you.

Also of note is that God promised Abraham that his seed would be as the stars of heaven and as the sand of the sea shore. So unless God has revoked this promise to Abraham how is it that only a few are saved?

So now let's look at the two gates.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I don't think anyone would argue the point that these scriptures are talking about the kingdom of heaven so let's put that into the scripture for clarification.

Enter ye into the kingdom of heaven at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which enter into the kingdom of heaven thereat.

Now look again what it says in Revelation.

Revelation 22:14
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Who is it that is without the gates of the city?
Who is it that has right to the tree of life?

15 For withoutare dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Now remember what the scripture says, that only those who do the will of the Father can enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Read Revelation 22:14 again

Revelation 22:14
14Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Once those who are without the gate learn to do His commandments or the will of the Father they have right to the tree of life and can enter in through the gates into the city.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Jesus taught--- As in the days of Noah( 99%) the world took no note.This is speaking about the last days and the passing of Daniel-Rev prophecys before the worlds eyes, but Few see it happening.( with truth involved)

The history of mankind
1) Noahs day--8 humans knew God--99% mislead, 99% false religions
2) Israelite kings apostocised many times( most followers as well)= 99% mislead--99% false religions
3) Jesus, apostles, Christians all murdered--99% mislead--99% false religions
4) These last days---care to guess--Jesus said--FEW. On the other hand, said, many.
I already showed you that Jesus said that FEW were FINDING (Present tense). Now if you want to continue to use that verse as if it says FUTURE Tense then your doing so against what was is understood in the language. I have found no analysis that says it should say Future tense.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I already showed you that Jesus said that FEW were FINDING (Present tense). Now if you want to continue to use that verse as if it says FUTURE Tense then your doing so against what was is understood in the language. I have found no analysis that says it should say Future tense.
Jesus said many on the broad and spacious path--Jesus said many at Matt 7:21-23( final judgement)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity