Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
This thread contains a lot of talk, opinions, gossip and sarcasm. Nobody is backing up what they say with the scriptures. Is this thread about what we think or about what God thinks? What you or I think about Joel Osteen (or false teachers in general) means nothing. What matters is what God says in His Word about false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing.

If the point of this thread is to warn people about false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing, and if you claim to be a Christian, then warn people through the authority of Jesus' words, not personal opinions. And not with articles written by other people.

If the point of this thread is just to talk about Joel Osteen, vilifying him, then it's just idle gossip, Pharisaical, unscriptural, unfruitful and unChristlike.

Motives matter to God.

Colossians 3:17, "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Proverbs 16:2, "All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, but the Lord weighs the motives."
Correct the Lord knows his motive you don't. . What exactly is it that he is saying that makes you say he is a false teacher ?. Hopefully you do not have to google it to tell me why if you already have him down as a false teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Correct the Lord knows his motive you don't. . What exactly is it that he is saying that makes you say he is a false teacher ?. Hopefully you do not have to google it to tell me why if you already have him down as a false teacher.
First, we don't know Joel Osteen's motives. God does. But, we do see his fruit and we are told to recognize a tree by it's fruit. (Luke 6:44 and Matthew 7:16.)

Secondly, I've already explained in this post why Joel is a false teacher.

EDITED TO ADD:

Quote:
Joel is recognized by his fruit. God will judge his motives.

But, the motives I was talking about in my post weren't Joel's, but the people discussing this here.
Quote:
This thread contains a lot of talk, opinions, gossip and sarcasm. Nobody is backing up what they say with the scriptures. Is this thread about what we think or about what God thinks? What you or I think about Joel Osteen (or false teachers in general) means nothing. What matters is what God says in His Word about false teachers and wolves in sheep's clothing.
What's their motive? Joel Osteen may be a false teacher, but we all have sin to contend with. That's not to say that Joel shouldn't be exposed as a false teacher just because none of us are perfect, but the manner, the reason, the motive in which we do it DOES matter.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,249,336 times
Flipping through the channels I tend to stop if he's on and watch for awhile because if I were to be honest, I can say it does make me feel happy when I listen to him. When I want the truth, though, I turn back to the Bible.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
First, we don't know Joel Osteen's motives. God does. But, we do see his fruit and we are told to recognize a tree by it's fruit. (Luke 6:44 and Matthew 7:16.)

Secondly, I've already explained in this post why Joel is a false teacher.
Which is it ?......By this shall all men know that you are my disciples that you all believe the bible, or you follow(for that is what disciples do) his teachings..... Which is...... By this shall all men know that you are my disciples that you have love one for another. I hope Joel never gives in to what fundamentalist christians want to hear him say, let them stay focused on faulting him there, because if he gives in they will only find fault somewhere else. He does this that and the other are just echoes from the past of another group of fundamentalists.

You are deceiving yourself if you believe, believing and saying the right things are fruit.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
This would offend Born-Again Christians, which is ultimately only a tiny fraction of Christianity world-wide. The greater majority of Christians actually do believe that works do in fact matter.

/BEGINSARCASM Oh the horror!!! How could he do such a thing!!! We've now descended to an all-time low!!! Christianity is DOOOOOMMMED!!! /ENDSARCASM

Mormons are in fact Christians. Jehovah's Witnesses are in fact Christians. Seventh Day Adventists are in fact Christians. This is precisely why "Fundamentalist Christian" has turned into an insult. They treat Christianity like an exclusive members-only club. Thinking for yourself is heresy. Receiving your own inspiration is heresy. The really bizarre part is that the standards for what qualifies you for the title "Real Christian" are largely based on extra-Biblical Eccumenical Councils of the early Catholic Church. By insisting that all "real Christians" must believe in the highly formalized Trinity as postulated by those councils you are divorcing devout believers in Christ from Christ in your own minds. By insisting that they must believe in a closed canon of scripture, you're doing the same thing. And in both instances, you are accepting the Catholic Church's authority to make decisions on behalf of God based upon their own extra-Biblical whims and theories. By trying to enforce Catholicism's standards for exclusion, you are accepting the validity of Catholicism's claim to be the one and only true Church.

It's pretty simple Vizio. A Christian is one who believes in Jesus Christ and focuses his or her life on following Christ's teachings.

Give me a few hours and I can make the case that anybody claiming to be a Christian is not a "real Christian." I don't do that because that is for God to judge and not me. There are countless doctrines and ideologies I passionately disagree with. Calling believers I disagree with "heretics" or "fake Christians" is an infantile vestige of Medieval Inquisition mentality. It does not honor God. It only degrades all of humanity. It eventually only leads to inquisitions, jihads, crusades, massacres, holocausts and genocides.
Actually you just made the case for the Catholic faith. Wonder why the Church is hated in modern times? They follow what Christ said and are not changing it to be happy, clappy. Most Christian religions now want to follow what man says and not what Christ said. They want to say what Christ said is old fashioned and does not work in our modern world. The Church says we can't change what Christ said and are hated for it.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Flipping through the channels I tend to stop if he's on and watch for awhile because if I were to be honest, I can say it does make me feel happy when I listen to him. When I want the truth, though, I turn back to the Bible.
And the bible makes you miserable, if not what does it do for you ? Let me have a quick guess, inspires you to believe that God is with you, in you and because of this, you feel good, which inspires faith in him that he is more than enough for every single area of your WHOLE Being, and your confession goes from one that sounds worse than the negative folk of the world to one where the communication of your faith becomes effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you which is in Christ. In other words all the abundant life of God is in Christ who is in you and having this as a good confession causes that river of living abundant life to meet you in all your need. You see you do believe in feeling good and being prosperous.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,660,199 times
Quote:
Which is it ?......By this shall all men know that you are my disciples that you all believe the bible, or you follow(for that is what disciples do) his teachings..... Which is...... By this shall all men know that you are my disciples that you have love one for another. I hope Joel never gives in to what fundamentalist christians want to hear him say, let them stay focused on faulting him there, because if he gives in they will only find fault somewhere else. He does this that and the other are just echoes from the past of another group of fundamentalists.

You are deceiving yourself if you believe, believing and saying the right things are fruit.
I didn't say anything about Joel Osteen not having love. (My question is, who does he love?) I said that Joel's message goes against the scriptures, therefore being false teaching.

Matthew 7:15-16, "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?""

Luke 6:44, "For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush."

When you look at what Joel says and compare it to the scriptures, he's a thorn bush (a ravenous wolf) pretending to have grapes.

Joel Osteen is a false teacher and God's judgment on those who flock to him.

2 Timothy 2:4, "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths."

Old 09-05-2014, 03:46 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,156 times
Joel is a good motivational speaker and that is all. Too bad he also preaches the gospel and makes his talks in a church setting. He probably figured out a long time ago that would bring in more money.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about Joel Osteen not having love. (My question is, who does he love?) I said that Joel's message goes against the scriptures, therefore being false teaching.

Matthew 7:15-16, "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?""

Luke 6:44, "For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush."

When you look at what Joel says and compare it to the scriptures, he's a thorn bush (a ravenous wolf) pretending to have grapes.

Joel Osteen is a false teacher and God's judgment on those who flock to him.

2 Timothy 2:4, "I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths."
I will ask you again.. What did he SAY not what he did he NOT say that is unscriptural to you ?. I have no idea what he says when he does it at the start of their meeting, but he holds the bible up like a good old fashioned bible believer and announces what he believes the bible to be.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,612,570 times
The message these prosperity preachers give is a LIE straight from the pit of Hell. Just tell me one thing. Who was the most perfect man who ever lived? Perfect in all of his ways. Perfect in faith, love and obedience to God's will. Well of course we know that man is the Lord Jesus Christ. Now, for all of His perfection, what was God's will for His life? A big house, lots of money, in fact, worldly success in any respect??????????????? NO, it pleased God to crush him utterly, hung on a tree and to have the sins of the entire world put on to His back.

Osteen's theology is diametrically opposed to anything Christian. It's nothing but pure heathen secularism dressed up with a few pious words. It's far worse than a few ear tickling words on a Sunday morning. It's Satanic in it's nature and it's source. It keeps folks from hearing the good news of what we have in Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity