Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 07:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately calling something "common knowledge" does not make it true. I can only point out to you that so far I am unaware of anything I believe "on faith", nor have you shown me anything I believe on faith. So your "everyone" thing simply does not appear to apply to me. More than this I can not say I am afraid.

I do, as you say, have a bias however. I am biased towards claims that are substantiated. Always have been. That is the only bias I am aware of having however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:14 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Unfortunately calling something "common knowledge" does not make it true. I can only point out to you that so far I am unaware of anything I believe "on faith", nor have you shown me anything I believe on faith. So your "everyone" thing simply does not appear to apply to me. More than this I can not say I am afraid.

I do, as you say, have a bias however. I am biased towards claims that are substantiated. Always have been. That is the only bias I am aware of having however.
That's the thing. Scientists say we are unable to see our own biases and ideologies. Even scientists who study such things say they are unable to see their own biases. This has been substantiated over and over again in studies.

You ask me the find examples of you doing it, and that's just silly since I haven't really come across your posts before. It's like asking me to prove that the large snowflake in your hand is different than one in mine. Even though I cannot see you or your hand, I can tell you that they are not identical.

It's called deductive reasoning, my friend.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
That's the thing. Scientists say we are unable to see our own biases and ideologies.
That is simply not so at all. We are very much aware of what human biases are and the scientific method is specifically designed to combat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
You ask me the find examples of you doing it, and that's just silly since I haven't really come across your posts before.
Exactly my point! You throw out this "everyone" statement, demanding that it apply to everyone, yet you simply do not know a single thing about me at all, let alone "everyone". So your "everyone" simply fails to apply here. It's called deductive reasoning, my friend.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:00 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
There was an empty tomb but also hundreds saw Jesus walking around with the holes in his hands and feet and the wound in His side.

Remember doubting Thomas the apostle? He would not believe until he actually saw Jesus. The apostles and His followers ran away until they saw Jesus's resurrected body and then they became strong in their faith with the help of the Holy Spirit and started preaching the gospel.

If it was all a lie the whole thing would have died out soon enough. Lies do not last very long.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There was an empty tomb
I strongly repeat what I said earlier however, which is that this is not at all relevant, or at all evidence.

Quote:
but also hundreds saw Jesus walking around with the holes in his hands and feet and the wound in His side.
Did they? What evidence have we for this exactly? The claim is in the Bible, and it appears you are using the Bible as evidence for the claim. One can not use the contents of X as evidence for the truth of the contents of X. You enter into a full circular argument of the most egregious degree if you go down that path.

Quote:
If it was all a lie the whole thing would have died out soon enough. Lies do not last very long.
That is hard to say at all. Some lies or errors in reasoning really do permeate for a long long time. Even when they are blatantly and conclusively shown to be false. And one can only do THAT with claims that are, from the outset, falsifiable. Your claims about Jesus are not, which makes it even harder again.

But look at myths like "Vitamin C can help cure the common cold" or "Humans only use 10% of their brain". Despite several conclusive and objective attempts to show the world these claims are simply false, erroneous and errored..... belief in them still permeates most of our culture.

Many many people still claim to have witnessed the Indian rope trick being performed despite the whole thing being a con. No one ever saw it done, yet many claim to have.

And that is all before we realize that people are not generally strongly emotionally invested in the lie of "Vitamin C" or "10% Brain use". With religious claims, even when entirely and blatant lies, people can be so emotionally invested in belief of the lie that nothing will ever divest them of it.

So no, I simply do not buy the "If it was a lie, it would die out" line of reasoning at all. For several reasons.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
No one died to prove anything about vitamin C.

I guess you need to read the bible for your answers. If you think the bible is all false than you won't believe anything about Christ.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
No one died to prove anything about vitamin C.
This is bordering on circular argument again however. The thread is about the historicity of Jesus. His death therefore is part of what is being established. You can not use his death as evidence for his death. You have to establish that he DID die in the context of this thread.....

Quote:
I guess you need to read the bible for your answers.
I am not convinced you just read my post despite replying to it. The point I made directly relates to this statement from you. The thread is about establishing the truth of a claim of the Bible. That Jesus as a person actually existed. You can not use the Bible to prove the Bible. That is just circular and a chasm of tautology yawns wide before you if you choose that path.

Quote:
If you think the bible is all false than you won't believe anything about Christ.
It is not that I think it is false, it is that I see no reason at this time to think it is true. Subtle but important distinction there.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,000,976 times
Nozzferrahhtoo, thank you for making such salient points and for highlighting the dangerous circular arguments being made.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:47 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
There was an empty tomb but also hundreds saw Jesus walking around with the holes in his hands and feet and the wound in His side.

Remember doubting Thomas the apostle? He would not believe until he actually saw Jesus. The apostles and His followers ran away until they saw Jesus's resurrected body and then they became strong in their faith with the help of the Holy Spirit and started preaching the gospel.

The bible also says hundreds of zombies got out of their graves and were "seen by many" wandering around Jerusalem.

That is a much greater event than one person's supposed resurrection.

How come there is nowhere in recorded history other than the bible this stupendous, never seen before, event?

How come?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The bible also says hundreds of zombies got out of their graves and were "seen by many" wandering around Jerusalem.

That is a much greater event than one person's supposed resurrection.

How come there is nowhere in recorded history other than the bible this stupendous, never seen before, event?

How come?
I've yet to see any Christian address that one. It's a no-go zone.

And yet the answer is simple: Like many other purported events depicted in the bible, it never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity