Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times

Advertisements

[quote=bigthirsty;2375865]Marks

valid questions Big,

Quote:
1. What if the "irresponsible young lady" was raped? Would the response from the Church still be valid?
To be honest, I thought about that. I would think not. But the OP did not say she had been raped so I commented according to the information at hand.

Quote:
2. Why do you say there is no biblical support for dedications when you posted Samuel 1:11,13 a couple sentences before?
Read the 1 Samuel passage that's real dedication, not what we see today.

I'm sure I'll be raked over the coals for my comments as usual, but I'm getting used to it.

Thanks Big!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:37 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
This incident is appalling; the damage done to that young lady's walk with the Lord is incalculable. It is not a question of whether "infant dedication" is biblical or not; the OP is "what to do" about it, now that it has happened. (I personally believe THERE IS some biblical support for this practice, IE: the dedication of Samuel to the Lord. There is nothing inherrantly WRONG with the practice...the Bible does'nt say "thou shalt not dedicate babies"). Right or wrong, the fact of the matter is this church HAS infant dedications, but they are being discriminatory about it.

But that is neither here nor there....here's the real issue: it appears that the pastor/elders are FAR more concerned with outward appearance to the public, than with the welfare of this young mother, and her awkward start on the road of Christianity. Now that she has been disgraced publicly...had her feelings hurt, the memory of this will stick with her FOREVER. I think they judged her not for who she is today, but for what she did in the recent past, totally disregarding her "newness" in the faith. How many young people turn away from following Jesus...because we judge them?
If you wrote a letter just to the pastor (instead of to the media), it would not be "going to law with a brother before unbelievers"...EVERYBODY concerned here is already a believer. Not only that, but it would be SCRIPTURAL....if you have a beef with a brother, you are to go to him PRIVATELY...and that is exactly what a letter to the pastor would do. (Actually, even a letter sent to the media would not be "going to the law"...because the media is not "the law"...they have no authority over anything...)
Anyway, I would go ahead and send the letter to the pastor.....and.....be looking for a new church. My $.02....

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 12-31-2007 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 11:48 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Now my church doesn't have a dedication service for babies, but if done in the right spirit, it might be a good idea! However, that's not really what the thread is about, IMO.

I think that the young mother should be commended for wanting to dedicate her child to the Lord. She's undoubtedly already "reaping" the consequences of wrong choices, and what better desire than wanting to bring up her child to love the Lord! It's too bad when we judge appearances or past mistakes and ignore the fact that God forgives... and it's even worse when we are a hindrance to someone in their desire to come closer to God.

I'm a sinner too, you know...

Edit: Good post, Bud! ^ (Looks like we have some of the same ideas.. saw yours after I posted mine!) I like your point about "speaking to our brother privately" rather than creating a media circus. Protesting something generally won't change people's hearts.. while an honest "reproof" has the potential to do much more.

Last edited by cg81; 12-31-2007 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: ha ha! made you look! :D

Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,019 times
I have to agree somewhat with marks..as much as I don`t want to..lol. We put too much trust and emphasis on men and the church. I understand she was a young christian and doesn`t know any better. Maybe this is a way for God to speak to her. Don`t put your faith and trust in a church or pastor or men. There is no need to go to a church for a dedication ceremony. Dedicate the baby to the Lord yourself. One does not need the approval of the church or pastor or anybody else. To dedicate a child in the church,to me,means you are seeking approval of the church. Men, pastors, and churches are fallible with fallible rules and ceremonies,rituals,etc. This is a perfect example when we seek approval from men and the church. She has become disallusioned,hurt,confused, let down. She is wondering why her and her baby were not accepted. It can cause her to feel angry with God. But she should know it isn`t God who is letting her down. It is the church,the mother of harlots...`come out of her my people`. Don`t put your faith in anything or anyone but God.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM

336 posts, read 844,887 times
She Does Not Need To Go To A Church To Have The Lord Put His Hand Upon Her Child.infact, It Looks Like It Would Be Best If She Did Not!looking Around For Churchs In Itself Says Something About What They Are Not.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Hi, I agree that the young lady can dedicate her baby to the Lord without having a ceremony at the congregation. There are no instructions concerning this as far a church practice but I wonder why the pastor's aid relayed the message. I would go directly to the pastor/elders/ or write a letter explaining your position. You never know, you may have an influence on them and it may be something that they may change in the future if it is brought directly to their attention. I'm sure that all members of the congregation do not feel the same way and maybe your voice could be an element of change. You never know unless you try in the right spirit. Just some thoughts. God bless.

Old 12-31-2007, 03:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Every church has the right to create its own rules (and dogma). The only recourse you have is to find another church.

You did not say what denomination the church is - that would give us a clue as to the core beliefs. If the congregation is associated w/ a larger governing body, then the beliefs they espouse are dictated by that body, i.e., Southern Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc.

Some churches are quite strict about such things as an unwed mother. Most are not.

As other posters have suggested - you need to find another church. These people sound way way too conservative for the 21st Century.

God loves everyone.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
All Christian churches have one common element - its made up with sinners, lead by sinners. Sometimes, as sinners, things are said, done that hurts when not intended. If something of that nature happens, I look to the scriptures.
1 We don't want to bring shame upon the name of Jesus, no matter how much we were wronged.
2 We need to remember the lesson Jesus taught about the King who forgave the large debt of his servant, but then that servant couldn't forgive the smaller debt of a fellow servant.
3 When we feel we are wronged, we should go to that person privately and tell him/her of it [in a loving tone and manner]. Let them have the chance to explain.
4 If the person(s) are not repentant or is still not in keeping with scripture, on the basis of scripture take a second person [in a loving tone and manner] and show the error.
5 If still unrepentant, then look for a different Christian church.
Of course, these are general guide lines in a non-life threating situation. You don't go back to a rapist, or a pedophile and confront them.
Be aware of those who pose as Christian when they are not. Use only the Bible as your guide line to determine who are true and not. As Jesus said, " Beware, when you think you are strong, thats when your weak". Don't soley rely on what you think is right, but search the scriptures. Look for a church that preaches "by grace alone, by faith alone" Please e-mail if you need anything else. Lord be with you.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:18 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,525,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
The aid said they had to act according to the Bible. I don't know of any specific scripture that says children who are born to one parent cannot be dedicated to GOD
There is no scripture that is worded in the manner you describe; however, many claim the sins of the father’s are visited on the children. Here’s a website that talks about this topic.

http://www.carm.org/diff/Deut5_9.htm

For me, it is clear that the sins of the fathers will be visited upon the children, ONLY if the children hate God, or in other words, continue in the incorrect behavior of their parents, which they learned from their parents. This is also an admonishment to be careful in how a parent raises his or her child, so the child does not suffer from the same problems as the parent, such as drug addiction, spousal abuse, etc.

The refusal to publicly dedicate the child in this post is strictly for appearances, unless the minister is basing his refusal on a literal interpretation of the sins of the fathers being visited on the children. I do not believe the minister is using a literal approach, in that he will privately dedicate the child.

I can only tell you all children are blessed and placed on the records of our church, regardless of the circumstances surrounding the child’s birth. Children are sinless.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:38 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
sun queen
To expand on "By grace alone, faith alone." As the Apostle Paul wrote (by inspiration)
Galations 1:8-9 "If we [the Apostles] or even an angel from heaven [like the one who appeared to Joseph Smith] should preach a gospel other than the one we preached [past tense] to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching [present tense]to you a gospel other than what you have accepted, let him be eternally condemned!"
And what did Apostle Paul preach?
1 Corinthians 1:23 "but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"
And what does the Apostle Paul say about this gospel?
Galations 1:11-12 "I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel that I preached [past tense] is not something man [human] made up. I did not recieve it, nor was I taught it; rather, I recieved it by revelation from Jesus Christ."
By grace alone, faith alone, Christ crucified alone! Advice that comes from a church that doesn't preach this gospel, is not from Heavenly Father;
"a wolf in sheeps clothing" Jesus warned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity