Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 05:56 PM

518 posts, read 470,123 times

Advertisements

Either some of you are the same people I have seen posting on almost every Christian froum I have been on in the past 15 years or you all use the same book. I sware I have read this exact thread at least 50 times in my life.

Nothing new under the Sun!

Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
Either some of you are the same people I have seen posting on almost every Christian froum I have been on in the past 15 years or you all use the same book. I sware I have read this exact thread at least 50 times in my life.

Nothing new under the Sun!
Bibliolatrists read from the same book.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:27 AM

518 posts, read 470,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Bibliolatrists read from the same book.
I suppose they all do read the bible.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:20 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post

What is a Scientific Theory?

A scientifictheory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the naturalworld that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2] As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge,scientific theories are inductive innature and aim for predictive power and explanatory force.[3][4]

The strength ofa scientific theory is related to the diversity of phenomena it can explain,and to its elegance and simplicity (Occam's razor).[citation needed] As additional scientific evidenceis gathered, a scientific theory may be rejected or modified if it does not fitthe new empirical findings- in such circumstances, a more accurate theory isthen desired. In certain cases, the less-accurate unmodified scientific theorycan still be treated as a theory if it is useful (due to its sheer simplicity)as an approximation under specific conditions (e.g. Newton's laws ofmotion as an approximation to special relativityat velocities which are small relative to the speed of light).[citation needed]

What is SCIENCE? ]1.a branch of knowledge or study dealing witha body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of generallaws.

Evolution is theory. Neither Evolution or Creationism can be proven. Get over it. Neither are true science.
Evolution is fact, the Theory of Evolution is an explanation of the fact of evolution. There is overwhelming evidence that supports the ToE.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

Creationism is religious mythology. There is no evidence supporting it.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:

Exactly what I have been trying to get across to them. It is called the Theory of Evolution for a reason. It is not pure proven science.
Quote:
I am having fun with you. I keep telling you that Evolution is a THEORY and not a proven science. You, for all your self-proclaimed intelligence apparently do not even know what the definition of a "theory" is. Yes, I am laughing at you.

A Scientific Theory is a "well-substantiated, well-supported, well-documented explanation for our observations. It ties together all the facts about something, providing an explanation that fits all the observations and can be used to make predictions."

The scientific Theory of Evolution is the best explanation for all the observable evidence from the fossil records, from comparative anatomy, and from DNA analysis. The ToE is also consistent with all other relevant fields of science. The ToE fits all the observations of genetic changes in populations and diversity of life on earth. It ties together all the facts, and it's predictions remain true.

As a scientific theory, the Theory of Evolution could be falsified by evidence that contradicts the Theory. So far, in more than 150 years, that has not happened.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Do you realise that's a Young Earth Creationist website?

Here. Check this out:

Here's a video that explains the basics of evolution so even a child could understand it.

How Evolution works

Once you have that under your belt, then you can try moving on to common descent and speciation. Each of the 6 videos is only about 10 minutes long.

Understanding Modern Evolution Facts - Part 1 of 6

Or go to any academic website like:

Evolution 101: Table of Contents

or

Richard Lenski | Home

or

Genetics | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

or

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~miller/tea...9/slides08.pdf

or

What is the evidence for evolution?

or

http://www.nature.com/nature/newspdf/evolutiongems.pdf

or

Genetics | The Smithsonian Institution's Human Origins Program

or

Evolution

Last edited by Ceist; 11-06-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:57 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Do you realise that's a Young Earth Creationist website?
Whilke I disagree with the Young Earth position, I always find it interesting that pro creation sites are ignored because they are ... pro creation, yet pro Evolution sites are deemed factual. Ain't true. I prefer to examine the Facts and avoid such silly denials of information by either side of the issue.

Interestingly a new book has been published that shreds an evolutionary fallacy, that is necessary to the theory. Uniquely Dawkins made a statement that people do not examine and shows the books position to be true.

Dawkins has said: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/bo...nted=all&_r=1&

"From Newfies to Yorkies, from Weimaraners to water spaniels, from Dalmatians to dachshunds, as I incredulously close this book I seem to hear mocking barks and deep, baying howls of derision from 500 breeds of dogs -- every one descended from a timber wolf within a time frame so short as to seem, by geological standards, instantaneous."

Dawkins calls the chapter on the dogs, in his own book: "The primrose path to macroevolution".

This is the definition of a primrose path:

"primrose path the pursuit of pleasure, especially when it is seen to bring disastrous consequences: "unaware of his doom, he continued down his primrose path." [with allusion to Shakespeare's Hamlet i. iii. 50][1] "A way of life of worldly ease or pleasure. A course of action that seems easy and appropriate but can actually end in calamity.
To be "led down the primrose path" is an idiom suggesting that one is being deceived or led astray, often by a hypocrite.

About the new book: The Dog Delusion - Evolution News & Views

Old 11-06-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Whilke I disagree with the Young Earth position, I always find it interesting that pro creation sites are ignored because they are ... pro creation, yet pro Evolution sites are deemed factual. Ain't true. I prefer to examine the Facts and avoid such silly denials of information by either side of the issue.

Interestingly a new book has been published that shreds an evolutionary fallacy, that is necessary to the theory. Uniquely Dawkins made a statement that people do not examine and shows the books position to be true.

Dawkins has said: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/bo...nted=all&_r=1&

"From Newfies to Yorkies, from Weimaraners to water spaniels, from Dalmatians to dachshunds, as I incredulously close this book I seem to hear mocking barks and deep, baying howls of derision from 500 breeds of dogs -- every one descended from a timber wolf within a time frame so short as to seem, by geological standards, instantaneous."

Dawkins calls the chapter on the dogs, in his own book: "The primrose path to macroevolution".

This is the definition of a primrose path:

"primrose path the pursuit of pleasure, especially when it is seen to bring disastrous consequences: "unaware of his doom, he continued down his primrose path." [with allusion to Shakespeare's Hamlet i. iii. 50][1] "A way of life of worldly ease or pleasure. A course of action that seems easy and appropriate but can actually end in calamity.
To be "led down the primrose path" is an idiom suggesting that one is being deceived or led astray, often by a hypocrite.

About the new book: The Dog Delusion - Evolution News & Views
You're actually being serious aren't you?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
In expatCA's recent post of what Dawkins said, Dawkins said this in the New York Times:
"Do his creationist fans know that Behe accepts as “trivial” the fact that we are African apes, cousins of monkeys, descended from fish?"

Now I have often said on these forums that evolutionists believe we descended from apes. And I was always told I didn't know what I was talking about. But Dawkins takes it even a step further by saying "WE ARE AFRICAN APES." Wow! Dawkins doesn't even know what evolutionists believe!

How could we even be descended from apes since mankind has only been on the earth since 6 or so thousand years ago. Is there enough time for evolution to work its magic (that's what it is by the way). And then we have the world-wide flood in which only 8 members of the human race survived around 3 thousand years ago. Yes, to all you DNA buffs out there, they discovered a bottleneck in our DNA around 3 or so thousand years ago.

Yes, the earth may be millions of years old but then it became chaos and vacant. It became sterile of all plant and animal life. Quite possibly, what the archeologist discovered was from before the earth became chaos and vacant.

Last edited by Eusebius; 11-06-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In expatCA's recent post of what Dawkins said, Dawkins said this in the New York Times:
"Do his creationist fans know that Behe accepts as “trivial” the fact that we are African apes, cousins of monkeys, descended from fish?"

Now I have often said on these forums that evolutionists believe we descended from apes. And I was always told I didn't know what I was talking about. But Dawkins takes it even a step further by saying "WE ARE AFRICAN APES." Wow! Dawkins doesn't even know what evolutionists believe!

How could we even be descended from apes since mankind has only been on the earth since 6 or so thousand years ago. Is there enough time for evolution to work its magic (that's what it is by the way). And then we have the world-wide flood in which only 6 members of the human race survived around 3 thousand years ago. Yes, to all you DNA buffs out there, they discovered a bottleneck in our DNA around 3 or so thousand years ago.

Yes, the earth may be millions of years old but then it became chaos and vacant. It became sterile of all plant and animal life. Quite possibly, what the archeologist discovered was from before the earth became chaos and vacant.
Hang in there, Eusie.

One day there may be a cure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity