Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And by the way, the way that you're attempting to limit possible answers and make it a no-win is sort of like the old "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" question.

If Jesus wasn't a liar, and he didn't say all the things the Gospel said, then the question is defunct...and yes, that IS a possibility. OTOH, there's no reason to assume that he told the truth, either...no matter what he said. We really can't know. The above makes a good bumper sticker but not a great basis for a theological argument, IMO.
We know what he said. Several people have told us and they were witnesses to his life and teachings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
One of the best ways to learn the Bible is to learn it with Christians who have studied it for years.
...one should study to show themselves approved, but not so they can disapprove of others.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:

Do you not find it interesting that nearly 700 years before Jesus was born, his birth and many other details of his life were prophesized?
No, I find that it makes perfect sense, actually. The Jews got tired of waiting for their messiah, a time period came when various prophets popped up in response to that as well as to the yoke of Roman rule (apparently Jewish prophets were not rare in the first century), various were "followed" at least for a time, all failed (including Jesus, who was killed), a mythology was created around him that managed to "fulfill" various OT scriptures retroactively (by fitting and re-fitting the story...you can see the evolution of this in the Gospels), at least if they were interpreted in just the right way; and spiritually rather than tangibly, making it impossible to categorically refute (nobody having actually seen heaven).

People didn't want to wait any more. They NEEDED (or felt they needed) a messiah, in the face of Roman occupation. When an actual Biblical messiah - one that would actually save them from tangible tyranny - never came, the OT "scripture" was all re-read as being spiritual rather than literal, and people felt relief in the idea of a world to come, an invisible one that nobody could confirm, but indeed, could not categorically deny either, giving it that benefit of a doubt.

In that way I don't find it odd at all. It fits in perfectly with human wants and needs, as well as the political climate of the time. However, if by "interesting" you mean from a human psychology POV, I do find it interesting.

Merry Christmas to you too. I love Christmas. Egg nog, singing, gift-giving, children believing in Santa Claus, reindeer, snowmen, twinkling lights, Christmas trees...I think it's fantastic! Have always loved this holiday.

Last edited by JerZ; 12-07-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
...one should study to show themselves approved, but not so they can disapprove of others.
Still one of the best ways to study the Bible is to study with a small group of Christians who have a knowledge of the scriptures.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, I find that it makes perfect sense, actually. The Jews got tired of waiting for their messiah, a time period came when various prophets popped up in response to that as well as to the yoke of Roman rule (apparently Jewish prophets were not rare in the first century), various were "followed" at least for a time, all failed (including Jesus, who was killed), a mythology was created around him that managed to "fulfill" various OT scriptures retroactively (by fitting and re-fitting the story...you can see the evolution of this in the Gospels), at least if they were interpreted in just the right way; and spiritually rather than tangibly, making it impossible to categorically refute (nobody having actually seen heaven).

People didn't want to wait any more. They NEEDED (or felt they needed) a messiah, in the face of Roman occupation. When an actual Biblical messiah - one that would actually save them from tangible tyranny - never came, the OT "scripture" was all re-read as being spiritual rather than literal, and people felt relief in the idea of a world to come, an invisible one that nobody could confirm, but indeed, could not categorically deny either, giving it that benefit of a doubt.

In that way I don't find it odd at all. It fits in perfectly with human wants and needs, as well as the political climate of the time. However, if by "interesting" you mean from a human psychology POV, I do find it interesting.

Merry Christmas to you too. I love Christmas. Egg nog, singing, gift-giving, children believing in Santa Claus, reindeer, snowmen, twinkling lights, Christmas trees...I think it's fantastic! Have always loved this holiday.
So Jesus failed? Wow! And, here I am some 2100 years later appreciating his failure. Wow! Think about what it would be like if He had succeeded. I guess you would be a Christian then. Or not.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:07 AM

84 posts, read 100,225 times
Quote:
I do believe that you have a vivid imagination.
Not really. I just read and think about the words that are actually there, as opposed to the ones I imagine are there. Christians like to imagine that Jesus claimed to be God, for example, though I can't find a single place where he is recorded to actually have said such a thing.

I, on the other hand, read where Jesus told his disciples that he had an entirely different message for those who had ears to hear (Matthew 13). So when I read about a story that makes absolutely no sense on the surface of it, such as the story of the destruction of the fig tree, for example, I start digging to find the deeper meaning. I'm not saying my interpretation is necessarily the correct one, but I do consider it to be a more, uh, interesting alternative to the utterly unsatisfying explanations that seem to hold Christians in thrall.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
If Jesus was a liar, nothing matters.

If Jesus told the truth, everything matters.
of course he had to lie. if you don't know why you shouldn't offer comments. Well you can offer comments I guess, like my 5yr old did about his veggies. Then we need to explore why everyhting has to "all matter" or "nothing matters" world view. I kinda think jesus meant use your head, but thats just me.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Still one of the best ways to study the Bible is to study with a small group of Christians who have a knowledge of the scriptures.
Why?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
If Jesus was a liar, nothing matters.

If Jesus told the truth, everything matters.
What do you mean, "nothing" matters? Why?

Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
of course he had to lie. if you don't know why you shouldn't offer comments. Well you can offer comments I guess, like my 5yr old did about his veggies. Then we need to explore why everyhting has to "all matter" or "nothing matters" world view. I kinda think jesus meant use your head, but thats just me.
Thank you for the negative personal comments. They are very much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity