Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:11 PM

908 posts, read 725,644 times

Advertisements

If Jesus was a liar, nothing matters.

If Jesus told the truth, everything matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 12:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post

I think you mean if the guys who wrote particular parts of the bible that said they were quoting Jesus were liars....

Old 12-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think you mean if the guys who wrote particular parts of the bible that said they were quoting Jesus were liars....
I'm fine with what I said.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
I'm fine with what I said.
Yeah, had a hunch you would be.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:14 PM

84 posts, read 100,216 times
I see the gospels as stories - fascinating and multi-layered stories, perhaps - but just stories nonetheless. Who or what you perceive Jesus to be, and what you take away from these stories, depends upon many different variables. If you were raised as a fundamentalist Christian, for example, you will likely believe without question that Jesus was both God incarnate and the son of God on this earth. If you were raised as a Muslim, you will probably believe that Jesus was a prophet, but nothing more. If you were raised as an atheist, you might believe that Jesus was a good man, or even that he never existed in the first place.

However, if you are a free and independent thinker who is not afraid to take the road less traveled, you might also read the bible and make the case that Jesus was actually the serpent in the Garden of Eden and the adversary of an evil god with evil plans for the world, and that his mission on earth was to destroy the Zionist state of Israel before it could even come to be because he knew the destruction that Israel would visit on Palestine and the entire world the moment it came into existence. There is no limit to how far you can go down that particular rabbit hole, if you so choose.

Like I said...the gospels are fascinating and multi-layered stories.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:29 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,469 times
Quote:

What Jesus said in a nutshell:

Matthew 19

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

I am not a Christian but I am cool with that.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:45 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
I see the gospels as stories - fascinating and multi-layered stories, perhaps - but just stories nonetheless.
Ever looked for evidence in reality?

Quote:
Who or what you perceive Jesus to be, and what you take away from these stories, depends upon many different variables. If you were raised as a fundamentalist Christian, for example, you will likely believe without question that Jesus was both God incarnate and the son of God on this earth. If you were raised as a Muslim, you will probably believe that Jesus was a prophet, but nothing more. If you were raised as an atheist, you might believe that Jesus was a good man, or even that he never existed in the first place.
Check out these extra biblical evidence to the existence of Jesus and some odd events surrounding Him.

Non-biblical accounts of New Testament events and/or people | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

No historian nor scientist can account for the unexplainable darkness at His crucifixion.

Matthew 27:45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. 34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Luke 23:44 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. 45 And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.

When the light of the world, our Creator, took our sins upon Himself, did that reflect back in creation for a short while?

John 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. 6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. 8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. 9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. 11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. 14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Did the Son of God taking our sins upon Himself revealed what sin did in our relationship with God as seen in the darkness in creation and His declaration that God the Father had seemingly abandoned Him?

2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Seems like the Bible is the only explaination for the darkness reported by secular historians at His crucifixion.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post

Matthew 19

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

You left out the end of the story.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anikalana View Post
I see the gospels as stories - fascinating and multi-layered stories, perhaps - but just stories nonetheless. Who or what you perceive Jesus to be, and what you take away from these stories, depends upon many different variables. If you were raised as a fundamentalist Christian, for example, you will likely believe without question that Jesus was both God incarnate and the son of God on this earth. If you were raised as a Muslim, you will probably believe that Jesus was a prophet, but nothing more. If you were raised as an atheist, you might believe that Jesus was a good man, or even that he never existed in the first place.

However, if you are a free and independent thinker who is not afraid to take the road less traveled, you might also read the bible and make the case that Jesus was actually the serpent in the Garden of Eden and the adversary of an evil god with evil plans for the world, and that his mission on earth was to destroy the Zionist state of Israel before it could even come to be because he knew the destruction that Israel would visit on Palestine and the entire world the moment it came into existence. There is no limit to how far you can go down that particular rabbit hole, if you so choose.

Like I said...the gospels are fascinating and multi-layered stories.
We are free to read into the Bible whatever we wish, but that still doesn't change its meaning.

I chuckle a tad at your "free and independent thinker" comment. I was brought up in a Christian family, but strayed [read: Agnostic and not Atheist] for many years due to what I now consider false premises. I returned to the church a couple of years ago and feel very comfortable there and believe that I have looked at all sides and have made a good decision.

I do believe that you have a vivid imagination. That can be an asset or a curse.

Old 12-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post

Matthew 19

Jesus taught far more than that.

One of the best ways to learn the Bible is to learn it with Christians who have studied it for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity