Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:40 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times

Advertisements

I came across these verses a few days ago, and they really spoke to me. The children of Israel were human just like us... often failing, and falling into captivity many times. Yet the Lord's mercy is everlasting.. and they were blessed when they turned to Him again.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the LORD; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.
As we enter a new year, isn't it comforting to know that the Lord's thoughts towards us, towards mankind, are of peace, not of evil? God gets blasphemed, reviled, blamed, and His name gets dragged through the mud, yet His mercy is everlasting. Everyone is searching for and longing for happiness and fulfillment, and it is God's desire to give us this "expected end", the fruit of our desires... to turn away our captivity, whatever it may be.

He will! He did for me.

Why do I keep forgetting?

These verses spoke to me in a personal way... it seems like my old nature wants to hold me captive many times. Old desires, attitudes of self want to take control. But God has promised to give amazing victory in the year ahead, if I will search and want ALL of Jesus.

Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! (Ps. 34:8)

Praise His Holy Name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,742,037 times
My old nature still rears its ugly head and then, sometimes more than others, and I rebel against doing the thing I know I should do, usually I do this when something has upset my little "sandbox" Ive tried to create and forget that my "sandbox" is only an illusion built in my own mind and that God is really in control, whether I like it or not.
Why wouldnt I like it? cause sometimes that old nasty pride wants to say...look at me..look what Ive done, and then of course its not long till Im forced to go back to my knees and give up control to God, and Im happy to do it, cause i make alot of messes..

This Year my resolution to to worry less, depend on God more.

Last edited by arguy1973; 01-07-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 30,732 times
So wonderful to hear the Lord God in your post!
Every year God gives me a scripture to hold onto for the year. And through the year the scripture He gives me becomes living many times and such a reality of His protection, provision, guidance, and hope in my life. It helps me to keep going no matter whatever the year brings forth, God is always there!!
What is really cool is this year God gave Jeremiah 29:11-14, to hold on too through the year of 2008. He has so confirm this today in my life and to trust His promises in this scripture!
Thank you for sharing! It just became even more of a reality to see it posted here. It is like He is saying to me, here "I Am"! I will keep you under the shadow of my wing....
A pastor one time said to me, if you hear it three times, listen up God is speaking!!!
God bless and thank you for being a part of Gods love to all.....

Old 01-07-2008, 11:27 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latte'lady View Post
So wonderful to hear the Lord God in your post!
Every year God gives me a scripture to hold onto for the year. And through the year the scripture He gives me becomes living many times and such a reality of His protection, provision, guidance, and hope in my life. It helps me to keep going no matter whatever the year brings forth, God is always there!!
What is really cool is this year God gave Jeremiah 29:11-14, to hold on too through the year of 2008. He has so confirm this today in my life and to trust His promises in this scripture!
Thank you for sharing! It just became even more of a reality to see it posted here. It is like He is saying to me, here "I Am"! I will keep you under the shadow of my wing....
A pastor one time said to me, if you hear it three times, listen up God is speaking!!!
God bless and thank you for being a part of Gods love to all.....
Wow! Thank you for sharing. God truly does want us to get the message, doesn't He? I like your idea of having "theme verses" through the year.. I know that these verses will be, and are, a comfort and help to me... I need God's Word! May God bless you in the coming year!

And arguy, I can feel right along with what you're saying... pride causes alot of problems for me. It's hard to let God take over sometimes.

Last edited by cg81; 01-07-2008 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 30,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
My old nature still rears its ugly head and then, sometimes more than others, and I rebel against doing the thing I know I should do, usually I do this when something has upset my little "sandbox" Ive tried to create and forget that my "sandbox" is only an illusion built in my own mind and that God is really in control, whether I like it or not.
Why wouldnt I like it? cause sometimes that old nasty pride wants to say...look at me..look what Ive done, and then of course its not long till Im forced to go back to my knees and give up control to God, and Im happy to do it, cause i make alot of messes..

You know a heart that believes and belongs to Jesus just can't get away with it, can it? When that old nature wants back on the throne , the Holy Spirit says, No way dude I Am on this throne .
That's why I believe the word when it says, "sin shall not have dominion over us!" It just can not keep us captive like cg81 says. Because Jesus sent us His Holy Spirit our Helper to remind us what He spoke to us. And if He is on the throne of the heart, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness! Because there are times when we are weak....But He is strong!!! And I did invest in a pair of knee pads for those occasions !
Amen and God Bless!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:19 PM

479 posts, read 1,141,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

Through Paul, The Word describes in Romans exactly what you're going through.

Romans 7:14-8:1
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Now imagine the fight that Jesus had on his hands, having to go through this. And then experience the full brunt of God's wrath, after not having sinned in his actions, or his thoughts, or his heart. How on earth could anyone go through this without being angry, resentful, or the slightest bit bitter? Truly God conquered the World - and we truly worship a wonderful God, who has overcome all evil so that those who believe and call upon his name can partake in the glory of his goodness.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,269,337 times
Default Just have to thank you...

Cg81-

I have to thank you for this thread. Looked up the passages that you quoted. Found this one, in particular, to be quite beautiful:

"When you search for me, you will find me; when you search wholeheartedly for me, I shall let you find me."

Old 01-08-2008, 10:19 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,274,012 times
I appreciate all of your words they makes me happy
After a busy Christmas it is so nice to spend the day w/ my Lord and to know other Christains are as well.

This year will be amazing and I am so excited!
Sometimes the Lord must bring the rain so we praise Him more and then He gives us perfect days for getting through our storms w/ Him. The process amazes me and makes me so grateful that I have a Savior to place all my days before.
I told my husband I am so excited about this year because it's one more year Closer to meeting my Lord!

I am reading from a list of passages that hit ever verse in the bible over a year and connect to each other one way or the other. At the moment I am working through Genesis,psalms,proverbs and Matthew. It's pretty neat.

Our prayers are will all of you that you find, love peace and friendship in Him.

Many Blessings!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I came across these verses a few days ago, and they really spoke to me. The children of Israel were human just like us... often failing, and falling into captivity many times. Yet the Lord's mercy is everlasting.. and they were blessed when they turned to Him again.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.
12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity, and I will gather you from all the nations, and from all the places whither I have driven you, saith the LORD; and I will bring you again into the place whence I caused you to be carried away captive.
As we enter a new year, isn't it comforting to know that the Lord's thoughts towards us, towards mankind, are of peace, not of evil? God gets blasphemed, reviled, blamed, and His name gets dragged through the mud, yet His mercy is everlasting. Everyone is searching for and longing for happiness and fulfillment, and it is God's desire to give us this "expected end", the fruit of our desires... to turn away our captivity, whatever it may be.

He will! He did for me.

Why do I keep forgetting?

These verses spoke to me in a personal way... it seems like my old nature wants to hold me captive many times. Old desires, attitudes of self want to take control. But God has promised to give amazing victory in the year ahead, if I will search and want ALL of Jesus.

Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! (Ps. 34:8)

Praise His Holy Name!
I meditate this passage often. Especially in times where my peace is challenged or I don't understand HIS plan. Another scripture that brings me confidence is Psalms 121:8 "The Lord shall preserve thy giong out, and thy coming in, from this time forth, and even for evermore." GOD has a plan for us and HE will preserve us to bring it to pass. Thank u for the pointing out the peace that only the Word of GOD can bring.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 AM

479 posts, read 1,141,880 times
The Devil may have got me down..but he never has taken these two things away from my heart --

My love for God.
My love for my fellow man.

Why do you think the Word says the Greatest thing is Love? How can anyone take Love away from you? People can beat you, torment you, ridicule you whatever - but when you have the Love of God within your heart, there's nothing in the World that can stop you from doing what you've been called to do for him.

Blessings to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity