Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Whatever. You can actually learn how to spell the name of the man who is responsible for the success of our space program ....or you can guess. Your choice.
Good. At least you are allowing me to make my own choice. That approach usually works for the better.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Religious beliefs affect everyone especially with regards to law. Some states even make it illegal (albeit against the constitution) for an Atheist to hold a position of power.

Atheists are considered one of the most distrusted and disliked groups and in some studies are even at the very bottom behind Muslims.

And it is your premise that this forum will somehow change the laws? LOL!!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:41 AM

322 posts, read 243,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
That is a very nice elaborated explanation. However, I can tell you that you are wrong in your belief. I do not miss a god in the least. At one time I did want to know what the truth was about what might be beyond, but I had to accept agnosticism - nobody really knew. I also became engaged in the debate about the validity of the Bible - which is actually nothing to do with a need for a god or feeling lonely without one. The evidence is that it is not believable.

The reason we do this is of course, because God -belief is being pushed in our faces all the time, and so we are pushing back. You have a point of course, that having come to that conclusion, I want to tell others. We all do. We don't care to be a minority, especially if the majority is giving us a hard time.

But that has absolutely no bearing on your (false) contention that I know there is a god and that is why I work so hard at being atheist. I do rather like the pats on the back It encourages us to continue doing the fine job we have done so far of showing up the claims of religion to be worthless, pretty much.
I understand you need to keep saying these things. I really do! It is a huge part of your faith now.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

322 posts, read 243,295 times
Quote:
Well, obviously your education didn't include the correct spelling of his name: Wernher von Braun.

If you're going to start claiming him as your own, the least you can do is get his name right. Thanks.
Alternative spelling: Werner von Braun. Both are used correctly.

von Braun was a very religions man and shared his faith with anyone who would listen.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:44 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
Whatever. You can actually learn how to spell the name of the man who is responsible for the success of our space program ....or you can guess. Your choice.
Luckily there are no pronunciation tests in forums. Most people blow that - first name and last.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. Even with all the other here to reassure me.

Nail on the head! It's the cross that offends so many just as foretold.
I don't believe it is , i believe the way it is declared is what is offensive coupled with the add ons of man made doctrines.

I have never in my entire life known anything to be perceived as being good news to be offensive.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
I am being serious when I ask this question: are you really a Christian?

I was raised Christian but my belief wavered as I got older and I've been agnostic for the past 10-12 years. Recently, I became interested in reading the Bible again because of problems that I've been facing in life. I've read a lot of good, wise words about forgiveness and issues.

One of the scriptures I've come across recently was Matthew 5:22 in which Jesus sat on the mountainside with his disciples and said: "But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell."

There are other scriptures I have read that are similar in which Jesus has made it clear that name-calling and derogatory language is not acceptable.

You've made a number of posts on this thread that have resorted to name-calling and were intended to be demeaning such as the post above. "Stupid questions", "Simple minded little old women" (which shows you do not respect women), "foolish gossip". These are only a few examples of the words you've typed.

So I'm curious as to how you claim to be a Christian but don't follow the advice of Jesus.

Please take this as an invitation to explain to me how whether I am a Christian or an atheist or an agnostic is exactly any of your business? I would really like to know how anything I believe is any of your concern at all. I don't care to know what you believe.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You mean like calling out homosexuals, calling folk sinners and telling them they need to repent or face the wrath of God(yes i know you believe in UR) ?. It seems to me that you want(and you have) the liberty to say what you want and not to expect a response unless it is agreeable to you. Jesus had to put up with folk resisting his message where ever he went(no prizes for guessing where it was coming from), then these same folk calling him Beelzebub, water off a ducks back to Jesus...

Offended because what you are saying is rejected? and your responses smack of it, you should study how Jesus handled it.
Apparently you are gay? I really don't care in the least but you keep bringing it up, no one else has. I'm heterosexual but I'm not constantly bringing that up. Why not simply live with your sexual preference and allow me to do the same?

Please post the threads where I did all this. I'm waiting.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:50 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
what the devil care about Christ? he had enough bad folks to play with- but for good to exist so must evil -- for now those are the rules of engagement

Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Sounds to me like personal problems most adults would readily handle themselves in privacy.
You don't know me and you don't know how I handle these things in their entirety in private. It was solely my choice to share it for the sake of making the point that [SOME] believers try to force, impose or expect others to believe as they do.

Outside of that, one of the reasons I USED to come to the Christian forum was to discuss the bible, but the mods, as well as some believers, were not always amused with my delivery so that discouraged me from really coming here. I prefer to discuss the bible as a book and RIGHTLY break it down WITHIN the context of the environment in which it was written as opposed to looking at it as a book of devotion. For the many fundamentalists we have here, this does not go over well because they prefer to force their New Testament minded biases on the older Jewish scriptures to neatly fit their Jesus into the equation. As a result, some go crying to the mods about folks hurting their feelings for discounting their beliefs.

I really don't get into the "Churches are filled with hypocrites" or visit this forum to fuss about what Christians do or not do. Personally, I could care less. I am more interested in WHAT they believe based on their understanding of the bible, well, at least those who take it literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity