Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM

322 posts, read 243,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
However, I am 100% sure there is no Satan.
Based on what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think he's confused because he's new to this forum and doesn't know that you are a cultural Catholic but not a religious, "I believe in God" Catholic.
Exactly! I am a Catholic. Whether God is real or not is moot. How can I know that?

And ALL RELIGIONS are equally valid (including the Sola Scriptura folks).

Thanks for your observation.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
Based on what?
Because Satan created nothing palpable. OTOH, according to Aquinas perhaps God is the creator of the universe and that is HUGE.

Tell me anything that you can attribute to Satan. As far as I can tell Satan is just a symbol, nothing else.

Last edited by Julian658; 01-19-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I am telling what the Catholic religion says about the pope. Otherwise, I really do not know.

I don't think you know what is a Straw Man.

My religion is Catholicism and in the Catholic religion the pope is the Vicar of Christ. Whether that is true or not is a moot point because religion is religion and in religion anything is permissible.

I do not believe anything about God because I do not know what God is.

Are you trying to apply logic to religion? By now you should know that is impossible. There is no logic to religion.
Of course I know what a straw man is and that's why I don't think you do.

I am simply taking what you actually say adding it to your church's position and asking you how it can be.

You say you reject or don't know if your church is correct about there being a god. They you support something that is based on the son of that god you don't know if exist and I am simply asking how you can logically work that out.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Because Stan created nothing palpable. OTOH, according to Aquinas perhaps God is the creator of the universe and that is HUGE.

Tell me anything that you can attribute to Satan. As far as I can tell Satan is just a symbol, nothing else.
Who is Stan?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,443 times
MT 23:5 "But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

MT 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

MT 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

MT 23:8 But be not called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all you are brethren.

MT 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in Heaven.

MT 23:10 Neither be called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ."

Old 01-19-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
MT 23:5 "But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,

MT 23:6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,

MT 23:7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

MT 23:8 But be not called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all you are brethren.

MT 23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in Heaven.

MT 23:10 Neither be called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ."
You forgot the first five verses:

Matthew 23 New Living Translation (NLT)

Jesus Criticizes the Religious Leaders

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,

2 “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses.[a]

3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach.

4 They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.

5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels.[b]

This applies to ALL religious leaders.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:47 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
I posted many links to various articles.
Here is what you said.

Quote:
Here is another case where the Roman church filed bankruptcy to prevent it's victims from being able to hold them accountable for their sin.

Catholic diocese to file for bankruptcy protection
I was not able to find a post of yours with links to other articles but there are so many replies on this thread that I may have missed it. But the article in question says no such thing. It says that $15 million dollars is being given to the known victims plus another $2.5 million set aside for anyone else who may turn up.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
So you admit it is a lie to say the pope is the leader of all of Christendom?
I do not have to admit anything since I never made any prior claim. Just providing numbers. I believe it was Julian who made a claim like that.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Here is what you said.

I was not able to find a post of yours with links to other articles but there are so many replies on this thread that I may have missed it. But the article in question says no such thing. It says that $15 million dollars is being given to the known victims plus another $2.5 million set aside for anyone else who may turn up.
That was not the first post with a link in I posted and it was not the last. They seem to have been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity