Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:22 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever heard of Jentzen Franklin, the Pastor of Free Chapel in Gainesville GA? Every year he and his church fast and pray for 21 days beginning in January. He also invites many other churches and the world to fast with him. This is not a rigid or strict fast. It is left up to the individual to set the standard, type and level of fast. U can fast anything from your morning coffee to a meal or three. It is up to u as the Spirit leads u. This will be my third year participating. It is a powerful time of agreement for the Body of Christ collectively and individually. The fast began on Jan. 06 and will continue through Jan. 26. The central focus this year is Release (Is. 58:6); Restoration (Joel 2:25); and Reward (2Chron.7:14). U can get all the details at jentzenfranklin.org and post your personal prayer request too. I encourage anyone who is willing to participate on any level u think is appropriate. I hope I will be fasting and praying with some of my brothers and sisters from CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
I try to fast every Tuesday. (That's today)! However my flesh is so strong sometimes I need to eat. , which is the whole point of fasting... to let us know how weak we are. When fasting, it should be a private event, so no one see's you as a pious person.

Praying just seems to be amplified when fasting... but it works!

Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,835 times
Just don't take Tylenol while fasting.. could mess you up.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,300 times
Jentzen Franklin? Faith and prosperity bum. Jesus said, "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." (Matthew 6:16-18)

Old 01-09-2008, 06:25 AM

364 posts, read 765,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I try to fast every Tuesday. (That's today)! However my flesh is so strong sometimes I need to eat. , which is the whole point of fasting... to let us know how weak we are. When fasting, it should be a private event, so no one see's you as a pious person.

Praying just seems to be amplified when fasting... but it works!

your not the only one that haves a hard time rejecting food :P

Old 01-09-2008, 08:11 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
your not the only one that haves a hard time rejecting food :P
I got by yesterday with nuts ( not me, the food) and a glass of wine in the evening, kinda like a communion. Some days I'll have just something in the morning and sometimes I can get by with nothing... but it's a good reminder to know how weak we are.

Went to sleep thinking about break-fast.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM

292 posts, read 933,845 times
Default Sun Queen...Bless you for posting this!

Yesterday I was on this forum and read this post. The only thoughts I had were...hmmmm...I bet not alot will post on THIS one! And I also noticed I myself did not post either.
But I feel now, that this post was a seed for me as other ones came following. I happened to turn on TBN last night and there was the man Sun Queen was speaking about, AND he was there speaking about the 21 day fast they have begun and inviting others to join in! I turned the channel and right after that a friend called telling me she could not talk long as she was watching it! So...ahem....do you think the Lord was trying to tell me something? I turned it back and suddenly I was all eyes and ears listening to every word that was spoken. I KNEW the Lord was calling myself...and others...to join in on this public fast.
With a private fast you do not talk about it but with a public one you do is what was shared.
And I don't feel the man of God is a quack at all but a very anointed and obediant to the Lord man of God.
I started my fast today and I pray anyone out there hearing these words will also join in.
It's time.
God bless!
Jean Jones

Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Jentzen Franklin? Faith and prosperity bum. Jesus said, "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." (Matthew 6:16-18)
I will not judge this man...I don't presume to know enough to do that, but I do know to be careful in judging another man's servant. U must remember the context of the scripture u have quoted. Jesus was speaking about a specific group of people who were not fasting to seek the face of GOD or to intercede on behalf of the nation. He was speaking of people who wanted to appear to men as righteous on the outside. They wanted men to admire them and think them superior, so with that type of attitude- they had their reward. Jesus did not mean no one can know if u r fasting. Think about all the public fasts in the OT. Moses was on the mountain fasting 40 days and the nation knew it. Ester fasted and called for others to fast. The King of Ninevah put the whole nation on a fast even the animals and infant children too. People were also aware that Jesus fasted especially those that followed HIM. They knew when and where HE fasted and maybe how long too. GOD looks at the heart not outward apperances. HE will know what your motivation is for fasting and HE will judge. Maybe GOD is using Jentzen Franklin to reminding the body of Christ to fast. What is wrong with that? There is no sin in fasting or calling a fast. In fact it is Biblical. I know a lot of Christians who do not fast, but they need too. Fasting is not a top secrete ritual that should only be done without anyone elses knowledge. It is a time to humble yourself before GOD and seek HIS face. I don't believe it is wrong to call a public or collective fast in the Church. I think it is a powerful form of agreement.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
Yesterday I was on this forum and read this post. The only thoughts I had were...hmmmm...I bet not alot will post on THIS one! And I also noticed I myself did not post either.
But I feel now, that this post was a seed for me as other ones came following. I happened to turn on TBN last night and there was the man Sun Queen was speaking about, AND he was there speaking about the 21 day fast they have begun and inviting others to join in! I turned the channel and right after that a friend called telling me she could not talk long as she was watching it! So...ahem....do you think the Lord was trying to tell me something? I turned it back and suddenly I was all eyes and ears listening to every word that was spoken. I KNEW the Lord was calling myself...and others...to join in on this public fast.
With a private fast you do not talk about it but with a public one you do is what was shared.
And I don't feel the man of God is a quack at all but a very anointed and obediant to the Lord man of God.
I started my fast today and I pray anyone out there hearing these words will also join in.
It's time.
God bless!
Jean Jones
Thank u so much for posting and sharing your testimony. I watched that progam too. I know I feel lead of the Spirit to fast and I am elated u r joining in. I don't know if fasting is very popular any more, but maybe if it people hear about it, they will be inspired to practice it and things in the Church and the nation will change for the better. GOD bless during this time of fasting- u r not alone, there is a lot of us who have joined the fasting movement.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
I think fasting and prayer are often neglected.

I think fasting in particular is conveniently avoided. I actually had a Sunday School teacher tell me one time that since Jesus died on the cross, fasting isn't necessary.

It made me think of the chapter in the gospels where Jesus was running down the "Now when you pray....Now when you give....Now when you fast" and I asked the guy "Since Jesus died, does that mean we don't give or pray?" to which he replied "No" and I said "Hmmm....cuz fasting's right there with those too."

I think it's sad how the church is failing to equip believers. We should pray for our churches and their leadership (or lack thereof).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity