Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are not listening, I KNOW in reality that there is something within me that bares witness to that which is God, and i am not talking about bible doctrine, but that which is Life. When i realized this the chains of fundamentalism fell off of me, i was able to see and hear at last.
So you claim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Which god is the correct god ?...
The correct God? The God that matters is love. I don't need a book to tell me that.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Go and read my post again then.
I've read your post, and apparently I don't understand either. Would you mind explaining what you meant by this?:

But yes, it is possible that in the spiritual sense, the human condition and position is akin to being in an insane asylum where no one but yourself is able to cure your insanity and part of that process involves ditching the dualistic tendency to view things as 'good' and 'evil' (and choosing which 'side' one will take) and adopting a more sane understanding of conscious experience apart from such thinking.

It sounds like you're saying we don't need to make a choice to do good rather than evil. I might use the terms 'loving' vs. 'non-loving' rather than good/evil, but I still think there is a choice to be made. What is the more "sane understanding" in your view?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The correct God? The God that matters is love. I don't need a book to tell me that.
So "God" is just another word for "love"?

We were perfectly fine calling love "love." Why do we need a new word for love?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
The egoic mind.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So "God" is just another word for "love"?

We were perfectly fine calling love "love." Why do we need a new word for love?
Don't ya know nowadays we can make words mean anything we want them to mean so no one understands anything...It's like the yellow traffic light, some think it means hurry through because the light is about to change to red and other think it mean slow down and prepare to stop because the light is going to turn red, however, who is it that sets the definition for the yellow traffic light?...

Old 07-14-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So "God" is just another word for "love"? We were perfectly fine calling love "love." Why do we need a new word for love?
No. God means God and love means love. But there are 2 different ways to understand the phrase "God is love" in my opinion. Only the first one is really relevant to the Christian forum:

God is a sentient being, the foundational nature of whom is love.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:15 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,133 times
Quote:
I've read your post, and apparently I don't understand either. Would you mind explaining what you meant by this?:

But yes, it is possible that in the spiritual sense, the human condition and position is akin to being in an insane asylum where no one but yourself is able to cure your insanity and part of that process involves ditching the dualistic tendency to view things as 'good' and 'evil' (and choosing which 'side' one will take) and adopting a more sane understanding of conscious experience apart from such thinking.

It sounds like you're saying we don't need to make a choice to do good rather than evil. I might use the terms 'loving' vs. 'non-loving' rather than good/evil, but I still think there is a choice to be made. What is the more "sane understanding" in your view?
Okay you need to tak the whole post in context as that will help you understand - it is a bit like what Rodger says here in this video...

What I am saying is that...well what I said already...

It is in the not knowing where all the problem of humanity can be sourced.

We think we know. We believe we know. We are told what we know.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Okay you need to tak the whole post in context as that will help you understand - it is a bit like what Rodger says here in this video...

What I am saying is that...well what I said already...

We think we know. We believe we know. We are told what we know.
So, the dualism of which you are speaking is thinking of yourself (and those like you) as good, and those individuals and/or groups that you designate as "the other" as bad?

I don't disagree with that. I guess it was your use of the word "things" that threw me off:

Quote:
Satan is a metaphor and so is God.

The idea might be for humans to desist with the eternal looped drive of thinking they 'know good and evil' when they so obviously do not.

Understanding how the dualism thinking process and and action propels the emotions 'this way and that' and examining the impacts of such behaviors could go a long way in healing the beast...

A bit like graduating, only more akin to healing - being cured of affliction.

The physical universe and earth = a place where insane spirits must go in order to have the opportunity to be cured of their insanity...or stay in that zone until they do.
I do believe there are good and evil (loving and non-loving) ways of thinking and being in any given situation. Learning what's what and making a choice to follow the loving path is, aisi, what cures our affliction.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:25 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,133 times
As I said: "God" and "Satan" are metaphors.

Quote:
So, the dualism of which you are speaking is thinking of yourself (and those like you) as good, and those individuals and/or groups that you designate as "the other" as bad?
Yes. The definition of 'good' and 'evil' is decided, not on what is actually known to be 'good' or 'evil' but on what is believed to be 'good' and 'evil'.

One could argue that anyone proclaiming what 'good' or 'evil' is who does not know but believes, is under the 'spirit' of evil (in this case choosing to remain ignorant for the sake of keeping belief = being evil)

Quote:
I don't disagree with that. I guess it was your use of the word "things" that threw me off:
I use the word 'things' to describe any thing which is a thing.

Quote:
I do believe there are good and evil (loving and non-loving) ways of thinking and being in any given situation.
Well, for example, [hypothetical] someone murders your family in cold blood, is caught and charged and eventually found guilty due to overwhelming evidence and given the death penalty.

You are devastated by the actions of the murderer. You have lost your loved ones to this act of evil.

On the day of the murderers execution, you get a front row seat and when the deed has been done, you feel good.

Q: Is your feeling good and act of evil?

If so (or if not) why?

Quote:
Learning what's what and making a choice to follow the loving path is, aisi, what cures our affliction.
The affliction cured means it is unnecessary to be reincarnated back into the physical universe as a human being on a planet.

As I said: "God" and "Satan" are metaphors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity