Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM

802 posts, read 454,093 times

Advertisements

Do you believe the Bible was authored by God or man? What is your evidence?

Do you believe that everything written in the Bible really happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
God is responsible for the content. He worked through the authors to write its content. Yes I believe it all happened.

Evidence - no first hand evidence. God directly testifies to me and He does not lie. In other words, I choose to believe all of what's in the Bible.

Well - I take that back on the first hand evidence. Israel is a real country. Rainbows happened after it rains which is a sign of God's covenant with Noah. Everyone dies and returns to the ground per the penalty administered in Genesis 3, along with childbirth being painful. There's general stuff like that.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:02 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
/snipped/
Rainbows happened after it rains which is a sign of God's covenant with Noah. Everyone dies and returns to the ground per the penalty administered in Genesis 3, along with childbirth being painful. There's general stuff like that.
Etiological myths.

Last edited by Pleroo; 02-21-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 08:44 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

I believe some of the Bible. I also believe much of what is written has nothing to do with God.

Jesus, the man, an upstart radical man had to become mythic. NT is all men and those men seem to spend a lot of time thinking about bad women. Not one woman represented.

If the bible was truly inspired by God. women would be well represented rather than used as fodder for gossip in the letters. The only apostle represented is James. Every one else is an apostle once or twice removed.

Paul never met Jesus and tortured his believers. Saul to Paul did nothing to change the fact he was all about control. Paul was not about to be the fifth Beatle. He wanted power and control. He fought with the Fab 12, because they realized he was all about Paul.

I do believe the bible, as organized, was a tool of control The State and the Church found a common calling. The State declares one religion, and allows Christian priest to do their dirty work.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
The reason I don't believe it anymore is because of the general attitudes of Bible believers. They seem to be the most deluded people I've ever met.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
God directly testifies to me and He does not lie. In other words, I choose to believe all of what's in the Bible.
There goes that direct testimony, right out the window of perception.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:14 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
God is responsible for the content. He worked through the authors to write its content. Yes I believe it all happened.
Evidence - no first hand evidence. God directly testifies to me and He does not lie. In other words, I choose to believe all of what's in the Bible.
Well - I take that back on the first hand evidence. Israel is a real country. Rainbows happened after it rains which is a sign of God's covenant with Noah. Everyone dies and returns to the ground per the penalty administered in Genesis 3, along with childbirth being painful. There's general stuff like that.
No matter how you fool yourself into believing that what is in the Bible comes directly from God . . . it is simply not true. Even a cursory effort at Bible scholarship would disabuse you of such a silly idea. Does the Bible CONTAIN inspirations from God? I believe it does . . . but is it the Word of God . . . No. Jesus is the Living Word of God . . . not the bible..

Old 02-22-2015, 11:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:

Evidence - no first hand evidence. God directly testifies to me and He does not lie. In other words, I choose to believe all of what's in the Bible. A Mormon pillar of belief..

Then where is the book of Jasher and other books mentioned in the bible? Why weren't the writings of the Apocryphal included?

Who decided what books were included while others were excluded?

Kind of difficult to write an accurate book hundreds of years after the fact--ask Joseph Smith.

So, basically evidence is not required and I am just as right as anyone...

Old 02-22-2015, 11:31 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,230,000 times
Quote:

Amen!

Looking at the promises made to God's children and to Israel being fulfilled is proof for me. The middle east is in turmoil while Israel remains peaceful within it's borders and that's a huge testimony to me.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post

By God, through his chosen penmen.

Evidence exists for a great deal of it. Not everything, as we were not there when a lot of it happened and a lot of things just don't exist now. Enough evidence exists to give reliability to it, except to those who do not want it to be so. No amount of evidence will change their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity