Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times

Advertisements

God called Job righteous and blameless. Since Jesus said the righteous would shine like the son in the kingdom of God then shouldn't we aspire to be like Job as well as Jesus? God said there was no one like him on the earth and that He was His servant.

Job :8 The Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil."

Job 42:7 NRS

After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
my guess is that Job was "blameless and upright" because he was indeed a "servant" (and a good one) of God---our goal as Christians is also to be good and faithful servants of God---of which Jesus is THE greatest sign and example of PERFECT obedience even unto death ( He whom "many prophets and righteous people longed to see"----Matt. 13:17).

any example of other saints and people of God (like Job for example) is simply another good and great example of those (Abraham is another) who in their way and time displayed love and obedience to God---again prefiguring in some ways for our edification that of Jesus who is their and our Lord and Savior .

Old 05-07-2015, 11:16 PM

709 posts, read 377,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
God called Job righteous and blameless. Since Jesus said the righteous would shine like the son in the kingdom of God then shouldn't we aspire to be like Job as well as Jesus? God said there was no one like him on the earth and that He was His servant.

Job :8 The Lord said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man who fears God and turns away from evil."

After the Lord had spoken these words to Job, the Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite: "My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.
It seems to me that you turn every rock that you may justify the way to serve the Lord only by words. You pic up few things in the Bible and forget rest, or do no not give value.

Is that the real way of righteousness?

12. All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matt 7:12)

Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
It seems to me that you turn every rock that you may justify the way to serve the Lord only by words. You pic up few things in the Bible and forget rest, or do no not give value.

Is that the real way of righteousness?

12. All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matt 7:12)
Notice the bolded and underlined in your post. Is He saying to do the Law and the prophet's? Some think yes.

Jesus said to abide and remain in His word, the word of God. If by your words one is justified then it is by the word of God that one is justified. Scripture says the servant of God is redeemed and has no guilt. So it is those who spread God's word and serve him that are justified and blameless.

It is written in the prophet's;

"My chosen ones shall inherit my holy mountain, my servant's shall dwell there."

"The Lord redeems the soul of His servants, no one who takes refuge in Him incurs guilt."

Old 05-08-2015, 11:59 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
There are many lessons that we can learn from Job.

Before The Law, Job's 'comforter's were miserable. They tried to led him into misery.

During The Law, King David was surrounded by counselors who attacked him at every turn [read Psalms].

Today we have 'The Comforter'. All of mens efforts to supplant Christ fail, only He can comfort us.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:

Of course we should "be like Job". He trusted and loved God. He wasn't righteous and blameless because he only did good -- but he was righteous because of his faith. For the same reason Abraham was righteous.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM

If only he had not allowed fear to creep in and rule his life, maybe the bad events would not have happened to him.

Fear cancels faith.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If only he had not allowed fear to creep in and rule his life, maybe the bad events would not have happened to him.

Fear cancels faith.
um....what?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:21 PM

We see that Job was upright.

We see that Job had began making sacrifices for his sons, not knowing if they were upright or not.

After the bad things all happened, Job says that all the things that he had feared happening have now happened to him.

Then begins that long dialog with the miserable comforters, which in the end is finally over-turned when Job ministers to them and he is rewarded.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course we should "be like Job". He trusted and loved God. He wasn't righteous and blameless because he only did good -- but he was righteous because of his faith. For the same reason Abraham was righteous.
Notice in the OP it says Job spoke of the Lord what is right. What do you think He means? Here are some verses that have some insight to what He means.

"I the Lord speak righteously, I say what is right."

"The words of the Lord are upright and all His works are truthful He loves justice and right."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity