Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:52 PM

37,348 posts, read 28,463,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Not quite...

He quoted the Old Testament 78 times, the Pentateuch alone 26 times. He quoted from Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Amos, Jonah, Micah, and Malachi. He referred to the Old Testament as “The Scriptures,” “the word of God,” and “the wisdom of God.”

Jesus knew the Old Testament by heart and could teach in the Temples and argue with the religious scholars of His day.
Can you prove this? 78 times in 3 years is nota lot, i ain't no fundamentalist and i quote it more than that in a week. Actually, i am sure i have read it was 33 times that he quoted them, which to me sounds right
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 12:56 PM

20,499 posts, read 12,901,826 times
Quote:
Not quite...

He quoted the Old Testament 78 times, the Pentateuch alone 26 times. He quoted from Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Amos, Jonah, Micah, and Malachi. He referred to the Old Testament as “The Scriptures,” “the word of God,” and “the wisdom of God.”

Jesus knew the Old Testament by heart and could teach in the Temples and argue with the religious scholars of His day.
Good stuff, JJ_Maxx!

Old 05-23-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Good stuff, JJ Maxx!
Hang on jimmie, let him at least prove this first, and even if he does, do you think those numbers are significant in comparison to how bible fundamentalists quote them daily. Like i said i think the number of times he quoted them is 33 times, which in a 3 year ministry means 11 times a year, not even once a month. Give me a while to verify this, i am off out in a short while.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hang on jimmie, let him at least prove this first, and even if he does, do you think those numbers are significant in comparison to how bible fundamentalists quote them daily. Like i said i think the number of times he quoted them is 33 times, which in a 3 year ministry means 11 times a year, not even once a month. Give me a while to verify this, i am off out in a short while.
You didn't prove your number, but you're requiring him/her to? Actually, the number doesn't matter. We don't know everything Jesus did. Scripture was valid to Christ and should be to us.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You didn't prove your number, but you're requiring him/her to? Actually, the number doesn't matter. We don't know everything Jesus did. Scripture was valid to Christ and should be to us.
I never said my number is valid, but you still do not see 78 times if it is correct is not very many times over a 3 year ministry, i have absolutely no doubt in my mind, any minister quoting scripture only 78 times over a 3 year period would get nailed by bible fundamentalist today. Like i have already stated, i quote it more than that in a week and i ain't no fundy.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I never said my number is valid, but you still do not see 78 times if it is correct is not very many times over a 3 year ministry, i have absolutely no doubt in my mind, any minister quoting scripture only 78 times over a 3 year period would get nailed by bible fundamentalist today. Like i have already stated, i quote it more than that in a week and i ain't no fundy.
Where did you get your number from? Did you make it up or do you have a source?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:25 PM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
The Old Testament and the New Testament are all connected, with the progression of God's work on Earth seen throughout. The Old Testament is important because it helps us see the nature of God.
No the OT does not help us to understand the nature of God. It helps us to see the progression of human understanding of God that is finalized by the revelations and demonstrations of Christ. If you worship the OT God . . . you worship a barbaric and savage being who is more like Satan than God. The ONLY true God is the God revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Christ, period. You have to choose because the nature of God revealed by Christ is NOT remotely the same as the nature of God described under the veil of ignorance over the OT. They are NOT compatible. It takes enormous ignorance and a twisted rationale to pretend to merge the descriptions and believe they describe the same nature of God.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No the OT does not help us to understand the nature of God. It helps us to see the progression of human understanding of God that is finalized by the revelations and demonstrations of Christ. If you worship the OT God . . . you worship a barbaric and savage being who is more like Satan than God. The ONLY true God is the God revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Christ, period. You have to choose because the nature of God revealed by Christ is NOT remotely the same as the nature of God described under the veil of ignorance over the OT. They are NOT compatible. It takes enormous ignorance and a twisted rationale to pretend to merge the descriptions and believe they describe the same nature of God.
No. :::sigh::: Jesus did NOT bring this ^^^ message. I guess this is why you dismiss half of what Jesus said.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,290,796 times
Quote:
He quoted the OT, a little over 30 times in 3 years, that is hardly teaching 100% from the OT. Your bible actually tells us, he taught what the Father taught him, and i have a sneaking feeling that his Father never taught him from the bible.
Since he's God...he inspired the OT. He actually made appearances in the OT.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:47 PM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
No. :::sigh::: Jesus did NOT bring this ^^^ message. I guess this is why you dismiss half of what Jesus said.
You simply refuse to understand what veil Christ came to lift over reading the OT. The "blind minds" MEANS ignorance. It was the veil of ignorance over reading the OT that twisted the understanding of God's nature resulting in the absurd and evil anti-Christ "precepts and doctrines of men." It surprises me that you do not see how anti-Christ those "precepts and doctrines" ARE, jimmie. You obviously see a very different Christ from the one I see. I remain amazed that any 21st century mind could EVER accept that our God would EVER require barbaric blood sacrifices of innocents to appease Him. In what twisted universe does that even make any sense whatsoever????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity