Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
And how do you test what is in the bible?

I do it by asking if what I read is who God could be. And if it is NOT, then what or why is this said...do I believe God is a JEALOUS, INSECURE, VENGEFUL GOD just waiting for an excuse to strike me with lightening, or do I believe God is a God of LOVE, MERCY and JUSTICE..

I suppose for me, it all comes down to congruity and how God has to be the same yesterday, today and forever as well as never being a respecter of person and giving preferential treatment to anyone. We are each judged on our OWN heart and no one is better than another.

I also firmly believe that the LAST will BE FIRST and the FIRST will be LAST--just God's way of saying KEEP IT HUMBLE.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

MICAH 6:8

Now when the evangelical fundies come along here and say this has to be in context and what it really means is all who do not love the bible, worship Paul and hate others who are not christian, are going to burn for all eternity--because that is their answer to all who think out side the tiny box they keep their god closed up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
OF Course it was . . .that is why we need to TEST the Spirit of everything in it against the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). When the verses are NOT tested . . . that is what causes the corruptions. Only when the verses are NOT TESTED against the Spirit of agape love. We do not need to be perfect because Christ IS. We just need to attain sanctification under His perfect agape love (Grace) by trying to love God and each other every day and repenting when we don't. That is how we attain the cover of His perfection for our imperfections.
Quote:
And how do you test what is in the bible?
I guess you just missed or skimmed over the bold. Christ unambiguously demonstrated with His life and body the TRUE NATURE of God in the most excruciating way possible. He smote no one despite horrendous scourging and crucifixion. He loved EVEN His torturers and murderers!! No words could possibly counter such a pure display of perfect agape love as the TRUE NATURE of God. For a Christian there should be no doubt that the nature of God IS agape love.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:15 PM

283 posts, read 327,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I do it by asking if what I read is who God could be. And if it is NOT, then what or why is this said...do I believe God is a JEALOUS, INSECURE, VENGEFUL GOD just waiting for an excuse to strike me with lightening, or do I believe God is a God of LOVE, MERCY and JUSTICE..

I suppose for me, it all comes down to congruity and how God has to be the same yesterday, today and forever as well as never being a respecter of person and giving preferential treatment to anyone. We are each judged on our OWN heart and no one is better than another.

I also firmly believe that the LAST will BE FIRST and the FIRST will be LAST--just God's way of saying KEEP IT HUMBLE.

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

MICAH 6:8

Now when the evangelical fundies come along here and say this has to be in context and what it really means is all who do not love the bible, worship Paul and hate others who are not christian, are going to burn for all eternity--because that is their answer to all who think out side the tiny box they keep their god closed up in.
Fundamentalists ruin Christianity for a lot of people.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
But they do not have to ruin it for you and others who are sincere about a relationship with a LOVING, MERCIFUL and JUST God...

Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Over on another thread you trashed the words of Jesus regarding "turn the other cheek," and "those who live by the sword die by the sword." Instead you recommend pistol packing pews to stop possible gunmen.
I trashed nothing. I presented you a problem with your understanding of the verse. Clearly you have misunderstood it.

Quote:
Whatever your beliefs may be, you haven't reached the point of total commitment to follow Christ.
How about we let Jesus be my judge

This is how you turn the other cheek. You keep judging me, and decline to retaliate in the same manner.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-24-2015 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 08:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I trashed nothing. I presented you a problem with your understanding of the verse. Clearly you have misunderstood it.

How about we let Jesus be my judge

This is how you turn the other cheek. You keep judging me, and decline to retaliate in the same manner.
I don't need to judge you, I just need to point out Pharisee interpretations--just as Jesus did. Consider it my way of walking in His footsteps. I think what you have is conviction by the Holy Spirit for refusing to see that Jesus asks you to pick up your cross and follow Him on this subject.

When threatened with death, Jesus refused to let His disciples draw weapons to defend Him. When one did, He healed the man injured.

How come YOU don't get it?

That's pretty much trashing Jesus' words. You've declared Him "null and void" when it doesn't meet a gun toting policy. If you don't want to be considered that way--change your views to fit scripture.

Until then, your posts certainly make you appear to be a less than committed disciple to His words. And it is quite hypocritical to state others don't believe the bible when you are refusing to accept the clear admonition of Jesus Christ.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I don't need to judge you.
Then why do it

Quote:
your posts certainly make you appear to be a less than committed disciple to His words................ you are refusing to accept the clear admonition of Jesus Christ ..................
Again?

Let Jesus be the judge.

It is quote ironic you spend your days pointing out faults in other peoples walk with Christ, while demonstrating you fall short yourself.

Read up about turning the other cheek, since you have not understood what it means.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-25-2015 at 05:03 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Why should someone else's views ruin anything for you? Your relationship with Jesus is between you and Him, so you should not need to blame others for it not being 100% perfect.

The never ending attacks against Christians by atheists and universalists only demonstrate their own insecurities. They think they build themselves up by tearing others down, but it never works that way.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:26 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I don't see attacks against Christians. I see what you would think is an attack when some Christians say certain things and others give their opinion. If you think only your way is the right way arguments will follow.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why should someone else's views ruin anything for you? Your relationship with Jesus is between you and Him, so you should not need to blame others for it not being 100% perfect.

The never ending attacks against Christians by atheists and universalists only demonstrate their own insecurities. They think they build themselves up by tearing others down, but it never works that way.
You seem to be learning an important concept grasshopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity