Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 PM

283 posts, read 327,957 times

Advertisements

How exactly am I supposed to trust a book that has notoriously been tampered with several times throughout history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
This is a question that many many people struggle to find the answer to every moment of every day.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:09 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
How exactly am I supposed to trust a book that has notoriously been tampered with several times throughout history?
Listen if you will to what New Testament scholar Dr. Daniel Wallace has to say with regard to that issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEmch2OAhs
'Published on Jul 28, 2013

If you encounter someone who questions or doubts the accuracy and reliability of our New Testament, such as a Mormon, the information Dr. Daniel Wallace provides in this presentation at Heights Baptist Church in 2013 will address those issues directly.

Mormon apologists must admit that the staggering majority of the textual variants are merely minor in nature. Dr. R. L. Anderson, a Mormon scholar and authority in the LDS Church on Biblical manuscripts, recognizes that the variations in the New Testament manuscripts are essentially insignificant. Dr. Anderson notes the overwhelming agreement between the thousands of manuscripts; he explains that "...all manuscripts agree on the essential correctness of 99% of the verses in the New Testament." R.L. Anderson, Fourteenth Annual Symposium of the Archaeology of the Scriptures, Brigham Young University, 1963, 52-59

Dr. Daniel B. Wallace has been Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Seminary for over 25 years and is an internationally known Greek New Testament scholar. He has been a consultant for five Bible translations and founded the Center for the study of New Testament Manuscripts.

In the Appendix of the paperback edition of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus, Ehrman quoting Ehrman actually admits...

"Essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."

This is the skeptic on whose works Muslims, Mormons, other cultists & atheists are basing their wild & whacky claims.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWGloVfMF0
'Published on Aug 5, 2014

August 03, 2014 - Best Sermon Ever Series - Mars Hill Church
Dr. Daniel Wallace is one of the foremost New Testament scholars in the world today. In his Best Sermon Ever, he shares with Mars Hill important teaching on the origin of the New Testament and whether or not what we read in our Bible translations today is the same as what was written in the original manuscripts. If you or a friend have ever had doubts or questions about the validity of the New Testament, or the Bible in general, this is the sermon to watch.'

Old 06-20-2015, 11:10 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does not answer any questions and is the opinion of the speaker.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
You can't trust just mere words in a book.. Think this way.. Do you take your math book with you when you go grocery shopping? No you learn to use math while shopping and you don't need the math book anymore. Same with the bible. You learn the principles of love in the bible then you put them to use in real life.

The rest of the bible is just filler.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Listen if you will to what New Testament scholar Dr. Daniel Wallace has to say with regard to that issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lEmch2OAhs
'Published on Jul 28, 2013

If you encounter someone who questions or doubts the accuracy and reliability of our New Testament, such as a Mormon, the information Dr. Daniel Wallace provides in this presentation at Heights Baptist Church in 2013 will address those issues directly.

Mormon apologists must admit that the staggering majority of the textual variants are merely minor in nature. Dr. R. L. Anderson, a Mormon scholar and authority in the LDS Church on Biblical manuscripts, recognizes that the variations in the New Testament manuscripts are essentially insignificant. Dr. Anderson notes the overwhelming agreement between the thousands of manuscripts; he explains that "...all manuscripts agree on the essential correctness of 99% of the verses in the New Testament." R.L. Anderson, Fourteenth Annual Symposium of the Archaeology of the Scriptures, Brigham Young University, 1963, 52-59

Dr. Daniel B. Wallace has been Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Seminary for over 25 years and is an internationally known Greek New Testament scholar. He has been a consultant for five Bible translations and founded the Center for the study of New Testament Manuscripts.

In the Appendix of the paperback edition of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus, Ehrman quoting Ehrman actually admits...

"Essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."

This is the skeptic on whose works Muslims, Mormons, other cultists & atheists are basing their wild & whacky claims.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWGloVfMF0
'Published on Aug 5, 2014

August 03, 2014 - Best Sermon Ever Series - Mars Hill Church
Dr. Daniel Wallace is one of the foremost New Testament scholars in the world today. In his Best Sermon Ever, he shares with Mars Hill important teaching on the origin of the New Testament and whether or not what we read in our Bible translations today is the same as what was written in the original manuscripts. If you or a friend have ever had doubts or questions about the validity of the New Testament, or the Bible in general, this is the sermon to watch.'
Mars Hill Church. Seriously? The ones that have kids protesting with signs that say gays must go to hell? This is the best example of a church that has no tolerance and does not have any of the traits of Jesus. God is Love... so Mars Hill Church is the opposite of that... Mike I thought you were a fundie but this is over the top!

Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Mars Hill Church. Seriously? The ones that have kids protesting with signs that say gays must go to hell? This is the best example of a church that has no tolerance and does not have any of the traits of Jesus. God is Love... so Mars Hill Church is the opposite of that... Mike I thought you were a fundie but this is over the top!
Dr. Wallace simply gave a lecture at that particular church about the reliability of the New Testament just as he has given lectures at many other churches. The issue is Dr. Wallace's lecture concerning the reliability of the New Testament manuscripts. The issue is not Mars Hill Church. Nor am I the issue.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Does not answer any questions and is the opinion of the speaker.
You posted this reply one minute after I posted the videos. You did not listen to either of them. I posted the videos for anyone who is serious about the issue of the reliability of the New Testament manuscripts. Those of you who aren't serious, I'll not waste my time or breath on you.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Dr. Wallace's lecture is about the accuracy of the extant New Testament manuscripts compared to the original New Testament autographs. He is not addressing the issue of infallibility. Nor am I going to bother to debate the issue of infallibility.

And I am not going to address your other off topic comments. I posted the videos for the benefit of the OP and anyone else who is interested in the issue.
The topic is that there is skepticism in the bible.. Therefore I can say that there are scholars that say some passages or verses were either added or modified. The bible is not infallible nor inerrant.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,718,300 times
A few of the controversies that Dr. Wallace comes down on the opposite side of Mike555 are first, the Johanneum Comma, a faulty translation of verses I John 5:7-8 which, in the KJV translation speak of the "Father, Word, and the Holy Spirit."

Except the latter verses don't reflect the best scholarship which states "there are three that testify, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and these three are in agreement. It is a long way from being a testimony to the idea of the Trinity.

Now to preface the following report by Dr. Wallace, he states, even in this article (without providing any evidence) that one can still reach the idea of the Trinity through an "exegetical basis." But many scholars disagree with that view, including Dr. Bruce Metzgar, another scholar whom Mike555 likes to quote in his attempt to make the New Testament appear without problems.

I'll point out in a later post how Dr. Metzgar would not fit Mike555's definition of "understanding the Word of God."

But for now, here is what Wallace states, re: the Johanneum Comma, some of which is heavy into Greek:
Quote:
On 74 recto is 1 John 5.7–8. The page begins in the middle of 1 John 5.4. Verses 7–8 read, οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες, το πνευμα, και το υδωρ, και το αιμα· και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν (‘For there are three that testify, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood; and the three are in agreement’). This is unremarkable as it is. But there is a marginal note, written above the text in the upper margin. The note is written in a much later hand—at least second half of the sixteenth century as can be seen by the introduction which specifies ‘v. 7.’ Verse numbers were not invented until 1551, in Stephanus’ fourth edition of his Greek New Testament. Hence, this cannot be any earlier than that date. The hand, however, looks to be much later. I would judge it to be 17th–18th century.

In the same hand that lists the verse number is the following Greek text: οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν ουρανω: πατηρ, λογος, και πνευμα αγιον, και οι τρεις εις το εν εισιν (‘There are three who testify in heaven: The Father, Word, and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one’). Significantly, none of the divine names are written as nomina sacra. Since I am away from my library, I cannot easily verify whether this wording is identical to codex 61. But my recollection is that the lack of the articles before πατηρ, λογος, and πνευμα (which also allows for αγιον to be after the noun), is what is read in that famous manuscript. (Codex 61 is a manuscript that was apparently made to order by one Roy or Froy at Oxford in 1520; when Erasmus learned of it, he put the comma Johanneum in the third edition of his New Testament. Yet Erasmus changed the wording to be better Greek, adding the articles to a text that, if woodenly translated from the Latin, would be the reason for their lack. His argument that he did not have this wording in his earlier editions because he could not find it in any Greek manuscripts thus was a bit ironic, because the form of the text that he put in his third edition still had no Greek witnesses!)

Although the manuscript basis for this Trinitarian formula is rather paltry, it has infected the history of the English Bible in a huge way, functioning as a rally point for King James Only advocates.
The <i>Comma Johanneum</i> in an Overlooked Manuscript - CSNTM

The one verse on which the doctrine of the Trinity most heavily relied---just ain't so. That Dr. Wallace proscribes to make argument for the Trinity based on a circuitous route of "historical" exegesis, points out that one of the most conservative seminaries in the world is paying his salary.

Dr. Wallace's own written comments indicate he does believe there have been additions and changes to scripture--more to come re: Dan Wallace. The Johanneum Comma is a significant basis for the doctrine of the Trinity--and it was tampered with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity