Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,760,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Those who use the name Christian Church are generally one in the same as the Disciples of Christ. They are known as The First Christian Church or Disciples of Christ.

It is not a case of parting ways, just different ways of naming them.

Also the UCC is not very liberal in every part of the country. They tend to match the community norms with their theology. In PA, OH etc., you will find very conservative UCC's, while in other parts of the country, they are very progressive.

Signed,
Rev. Randy
UCC Minister
Thank you for your insight on the UCC. My understanding is that the UCC as a denomination is theoretically accomodating, more so than most, to a wide spectrum of beliefs. The current social climate being what it is, though, conservatives would be the most likely to feel unwelcome or expected to keep their opinions to themselves in the case of a progressive denomination if there is such an issue.
Officially, Disciples of Christ' name is: Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Some congregations have kept their original signage saying things like "First Christian Church", but there will be a Discples chalice logo somewhere on it if they are affiliated.
Otherwise, if the "Disciples of Christ" phrase is not in parentheses or has no chalice logo, it is probably not affiliated with that denomination and will have little to no fellowship with them.
Much like the Churches of Christ, conservative Christian churches are extremely congregational and go to great lengths to not look like they're a part of any denomination (even though they kind of are) by not having any central governing body or headquarters of any kind. It can be be difficult to get an accurate count of these.
Disciples of Christ make no bones about their denominational status: they have been one in an official sense ever since 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Really? Where did The Father or Jesus ever promise a book to be our guide? What DID Jesus promise according to the book you claim to follow and why do you seek to supplant that?

2Timothy 3:16

Old 03-07-2019, 02:08 PM

421 posts, read 153,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The original Protestant church in New England was the Congregational Church aka United Church of Christ today.

It's changed dramatically over the centuries. Thank goodness it changed from killing women for supposed witchcraft but lately it's gone too far to the left politically for me. When I was growing up, the sermons tended to be a little bit scary, that God would punish you for your sins, you were evil, etc., but then it turned into more of a welcoming church that was about love.

Until a few years ago the services were Bible readings and stories, the congregation singing hymns with the choir, prayers. There was baptism by the minister with water on your forehead and there was confirmation when you were in your teens, usually. Music was organ music and the congregation stood to sing. I think it was in the 1970s or 1980s that they started allowing women to become ministers. Women seem to have been treated more or less equally to men for as long as I can remember--none of this stuff about women being inferior or needing to stay home and cook. We are all children of God, all equal.

They never told us to hate any other religion--there is one God. In fact our Christian fellowship group back in high school days visited a synagogue and a Catholic church for services and we were never told that they were "bad."

It just seems in the last few years that they have become extremely leftist politically. They never used to really talk about politics at all. It was the Bible, what Jesus said, being a good person--that sort of thing. They did collect money that would go to help people, often it was for children in Africa, but they would also collect money around Christmas and buy gifts for poor kids in town of any religion. They did a lot of good. The ministers were humble, church members participated voluntarily in the service, and it was all very inclusive.

Now they shelter illegal immigrants in the church. I'm totally in favor of LEGAL immigrants but cannot go to a church that helps law breakers who are also undermining our political system by taking when they have never paid into the system, didn't come here with a sponsor to make sure they didn't end up on welfare, etc.

We have both a United Church of Christ and a Congregational Church in my current town. Maybe the one that still calls itself Congregational is more traditional and doesn't support the crazy ideas, I'm not sure-just moved here and need to check out the churches. I would still attend a candlelight Christmas service at United Church of Christ but I don't want to support illegals and some of the other things they now support so I don't think I could actually join and become a regular member. They need to get back to basics and either stay out of politics or become more middle of the road, imho. It used to be a very nice, loving church. (The Methodists around here seem to have gone the same way.)
The Congregational Christian and the Evangelical & Reformed churches merged in 1957 to form the United Church of Christ. My family was from the German Reformed side of the Evangelical and Reformed church. My great grandparents left Germany during WW2 to escape the Nazi persecution of the German Reformed church. They went to Ohio.

I was raised in the United Church of Christ. The leadership is very liberal, but the churches are locally autonomous, and the groups that were from the German Reformed churches were conservative. When I was growing up in Ohio, the United Church of Christ there was around 50/50 split conservative/liberal. I don't know how the UCC is now. I haven't been involved with them since the early 90's. My dad was a pastor, but he is retired. The conservatives and liberals were always butting heads when I was growing up. My dad has always been a peacemaker, but, in my opinion, he was treated rather poorly by the liberals in the leadership of the Ohio conference. My parents are conservative, but they are also very accepting of others who believe differently.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Really? Where did The Father or Jesus ever promise a book to be our guide? What DID Jesus promise according to the book you claim to follow and why do you seek to supplant that?

The bible teaches it is inspired by God. Trinity translations are erred. The only translating that remained, when the protestants translated was the religion that came out of Rome, translating. They could easily see some error when they were allowed to read the bible for themselves. They had no clue of the translating errors to fit false council teachings, translated in. By that time. Over 1000 years after the councils were held.
Jesus promised the earth to the great multitude at Matthew 5:5-- Only the little flock( Luke 12:32) Rev 14:3- are promised heaven.
Jesus calls the Father( one who sent him-John 5:30) THE ONLY TRUE GOD.verse 3) at Matthew 17:1-6,26

verse 6= YHVH(Jehovah) 26= YHVH(Jehovah) --Hallowed be thy name= YHVH(Jehovah)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity