Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:28 PM

296 posts, read 571,022 times

Advertisements

I have went through a lot this past year in my life. I have bounced around from three jobs, each of which has been tougher than the last one. Both my daughters have moved out and my wife and I are empty nesters. I miss them terribly. I am a christian but hardly act like it at times. I have a drinking issue and curse constantly. I keep praying each and every day hoping that things will get better for me at work but they never do. I work over 14 hours a day and left the previous job due to the same issues. I honestly hate my current job. I do not know why in the course of a year I have faced a lay off after 20 years of service, found a job but was mistreated terribly and then started working for another corporation and hate it more than the second job I had this year. Can my life be miserable because of my sins? I ask God for forgiveness and nothing seems to get better. I am happily married which helps but I need some help here. Please give me some suggestions if you can....desperate for help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
I have went through a lot this past year in my life. I have bounced around from three jobs, each of which has been tougher than the last one. Both my daughters have moved out and my wife and I are empty nesters. I miss them terribly. I am a christian but hardly act like it at times. I have a drinking issue and curse constantly. I keep praying each and every day hoping that things will get better for me at work but they never do. I work over 14 hours a day and left the previous job due to the same issues. I honestly hate my current job. I do not know why in the course of a year I have faced a lay off after 20 years of service, found a job but was mistreated terribly and then started working for another corporation and hate it more than the second job I had this year. Can my life be miserable because of my sins? I ask God for forgiveness and nothing seems to get better. I am happily married which helps but I need some help here. Please give me some suggestions if you can....desperate for help
It's not SIN, that's your problem..It's basically circumstances...Like you, there is a whole host of folks just like you ( my BBF included) who can't seem to catch a break..Taking jobs out of necessity is only a temporary fix..nothing close to fulfilment of anyone's dream

Problem is..Far too many with education and skill sets just get forced into job's far below what their CV demonstrates....I feel bad for you and yours..and so glad you are with a supportive Spouse..It's not your fault..It's what the economy has actually altered how job markets are working today...Best of Luck and best Wishes..My BFF who is awesome and dynamic..but sounds like you...JUST can't connect nor be at the right place or right time...It's a B$tch!!

Old 10-20-2015, 06:40 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,881 times
You cannot ask for forgiveness and expect a change until you give up the sin. God is forgiving you, then you sin the same sin again, and it's just like you erased God's forgiveness and said, nevermind the temporary relief I get from my sin means more to me right now than my eternal happiness if I give up my sin. He will keep forgiving you over and over but you cannot fully enjoy the blessings of that forgiveness and grace until you completely forsake your sin and do it no more.

That's not necessarily even a Christian thing, it's just logic.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:
I have went through a lot this past year in my life. I have bounced around from three jobs, each of which has been tougher than the last one. Both my daughters have moved out and my wife and I are empty nesters. I miss them terribly. I am a christian but hardly act like it at times. I have a drinking issue and curse constantly.

These are issues YOU control.

Quote:
I keep praying each and every day hoping that things will get better for me at work but they never do.
I work over 14 hours a day and left the previous job due to the same issues. I honestly hate my current job. I do not know why in the course of a year I have faced a lay off after 20 years of service, found a job but was mistreated terribly and then started working for another corporation and hate it more than the second job I had this year. Can my life be miserable because of my sins? I ask God for forgiveness and nothing seems to get better. I am happily married which helps but I need some help here. Please give me some suggestions if you can....desperate for help
Control you drinking and cursing. I bet if you looked in the mirror, you KNOW that is why your having job problems. Talking to your self thinking some magic is going to happen (praying) is futile. YOU need to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and get your act together. YOU are the problem, not anything external.

Now put your poop in a pile, and take on the issues.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Go to AA and stop cursing. You have bounced between jobs, and you are still standing. It is quite an accomplishment to say you worked 20 years for the same employer.
You are an empty nester, and you and your spouse are finding what works for you now that the children are gone. It is an interesting part of a relationship.

Have you thought of re-training? Get a part time job, or two instead of being miserable. Something you are interested in. What are your hobbies? Can they be turned into a business? Working at a job you hate sucks the life out of you. No one should be miserable where they work.

Forget punishing yourself over past events. You cannot change the past, but you can decide to act differently and move forward. Wallowing in guilt, and self pity should be self limiting ,and short lived. It prevents you from seeing opportunities when they come to you.

Cut yourself some slack.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 PM

529 posts, read 369,790 times
Have you had "close calls"? Where you prayed and committed to quitting a particular sin, if He would see you through, only to have things turn back your way and over time slipped right back into those same sins?

I know that if you are a Christian and you have sin that the Holy Spirit has convicted you of, The Father will be very patient with you, but there will come a time when He will discipline you.

I don't know your particular details, but it sounds like that may be what is going on here.

Bad news is, the tighter you cling to that sin, the more it will hurt when He finally has to take it from you force-ably.
Better to come clean sooner rather than later.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,003 times
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it sounds like your misery is mostly being caused by your religion.

It sounds like your main problem is your job(s). This is a difficult economy, and many are having similar problems, so your situation is probably nothing unusual. It's likely not your fault (you say "same issues" but you don't mention the issues) - unless of course your drinking is carrying into work. So you privately keep on job-hunting, and hope for the best. Meanwhile think about what could improve you job and/or your attitude about it.

And then you need to confront the drinking. You don't tell us if this is a new problem or a long-term one, but obviously many people - especially if they're lucky in having a good marriage, as you do - deal successfully with it. So start seeking some help.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]
These are issues YOU control.

Control you drinking and cursing. I bet if you looked in the mirror, you KNOW that is why your having job problems. Talking to your self thinking some magic is going to happen (praying) is futile. YOU need to pick yourself up from your bootstraps and get your act together. YOU are the problem, not anything external.

Now put your poop in a pile, and take on the issues.
So someones curses and drinks..and all of a sudden they are sinners and should be condemned by GOD..Give me a break..God gave free will & thru Jesus can be redeemed...It's not the spoken prayer to seek forgiveness that get anyone there..It's actions that scream to God....Lip service so often gets esposed as some sort of venue of forgiveness..Bu$$Hockey..It's Actions..making a difference..Paying it forward that makes THAT difference...

Far too many Bibble thumpers believe by just uttering or asking forgiveness is enough..LAUGHABLE...That's the primary reason I always scoffed at the notion by Catholic Church suggesting by confessing to some Priest..and saying countless Hail Mary's would absolve THAT sin!! Silly.. notion for me...

The Path of Life and how you conducted it..how you were able to make some differences..how you were able to rise up despite obstacles and make a difference..Speaks LOUDLY!! It's been stated in scriptures ..and won't bother posting but well known.. Jesus said "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven,"..In other words..Rich folks can spew crap..confess later...and feel cleansed..BUT that notion is WRONG...Folks like Huckabee comes to mind!!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Take charge of your own life and make it happen...

Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
You cannot ask for forgiveness and expect a change until you give up the sin. God is forgiving you, then you sin the same sin again, and it's just like you erased God's forgiveness and said, nevermind the temporary relief I get from my sin means more to me right now than my eternal happiness if I give up my sin. He will keep forgiving you over and over but you cannot fully enjoy the blessings of that forgiveness and grace until you completely forsake your sin and do it no more.

That's not necessarily even a Christian thing, it's just logic.
Oh, stop the BS...Please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity