Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
From previous closed down thread:

Chic-Fil-A is 'honoring' the wrong day because they are ignorant to the very book they claim to uphold ...the Bible. The 'day of rest' AS PER THE BIBLE is Saturday ...NOT Sunday!

So, what is the point to their closing Sunday??

Anyone?
Everyone knows that G-d changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, thilly!....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
So, teaching children from an early age that, if they don't believe in God, they will be tormented forever and ever in hell is not crazy?
Huge numbers of people would say that Christianity in general is "crazy." I'm just not comfortable labeling people the way you seem to be.

Quote:
Would you be more comfortable with ...insane?
No.

Quote:
I was most impressed with the wealth of knowledge that SDAs have with regard to the Bible, with history and its link to the Bible, etc. etc. These folks have really done their homework and I appreciate that.
When it comes to knowledge of the Bible, Mormons score higher than any other Christians.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Everyone knows that G-d changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, thilly!....
Obviously, you're joshing ...?

Old 10-26-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
So, teaching children from an early age that, if they don't believe in God, they will be tormented forever and ever in hell is not crazy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur
Huge numbers of people would say that Christianity in general is "crazy." I'm just not comfortable labeling people the way you seem to be.
Quote:
Would you be more comfortable with ...insane?
Quote:
No.
No, I didn't think that would sit with you too well either.

However, surely there HAS to be an appropriate term given to teaching the concept of a loving God to people and then applying the punchline that if you don't believe in this loving God He will condemn you to eternal torment in the fires of hell . . .? Crazy or insane sounds about right to me.

Quote:
I was most impressed with the wealth of knowledge that SDAs have with regard to the Bible, with history and its link to the Bible, etc. etc. These folks have really done their homework and I appreciate that.
Quote:
When it comes to knowledge of the Bible, Mormons score higher than any other Christians.
Well, how DOES one accurately determine a level of scoring for 'biblical knowledge' in the first place?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Sorry Richard ...I must have had a mental block. I only just now figured out the "thilly" part of your post.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
You can take Sabbath any time you want, or don't take it at all.

"do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"

Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
No, I didn't think that would sit with you too well either.

However, surely there HAS to be an appropriate term given to teaching the concept of a loving God to people and then applying the punchline that if you don't believe in this loving God He will condemn you to eternal torment in the fires of hell . . .? Crazy or insane sounds about right to me.

Well, how DOES one accurately determine a level of scoring for 'biblical knowledge' in the first place?
Bible Bowl

Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
So, teaching children from an early age that, if they don't believe in God, they will be tormented forever and ever in hell is not crazy? Would you be more comfortable with ...insane?

Yes, I did say 'probably'. I studied with the SDAs back in the mid 1980s and actually joined the church in 1988. Since then, however, I've pretty much given up on organized religion in general. I attend no church at present. I was most impressed with the wealth of knowledge that SDAs have with regard to the Bible, with history and its link to the Bible, etc. etc. These folks have really done their homework and I appreciate that.
That's interesting. I know two SDA people--great people too, both of them--but in the conversation I had with one, he was pretty unfamiliar with the Bible and didn't seem to be much into its study. Understand, I'm not making a judgment here, just saying i'm surprised at your statement because from that conversation with that ONE Sabbath-keeper, I got a different impression. Might be just him.

Both the SDA members I know are vegetarians, they wear little if any jewellry, and they said their house of worship is very plain, with not even a cross.

But again, both these people walk the walk. Loving and kind and peaceful. The man, a coworker, is a black man who came up out of the ghetto, and he does prison ministry.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:08 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"Crazy" is subjective. Even though my denomination does not teach eternal torment, I'm very uncomfortable labeling any Christian denomination as "crazy."
When I got married to my ex, she was a lapsed SDA. However, after a year, her friends convinced her to get involved again. I really didn't much care, as I didn't see the harm.

Wrong.

First there was the Saturday service of course. Followed by lunch at the church, and often friends would come over afterwards. I sat quietly listening to the discussion of woo, and woo in so many ways. "Soul sleep", which as far as I am aware is only a SDA believe, discussion of whether or not one had to be a vegetarian, and if it was sinful not to be, at least it was frowned upon by Ellen White, the founder.

Oh yes, Ellen White. The prophet. And a denial that she really started out as a Millerite. So much discussion centered around White.

They are more fundamentalist than the fundamentalists. If anything contradicted their belief, such as fossils, then it was "put there by satan, usually called The Enemy". I recall once in the mountains and describing to her the fossils that I saw up at the 9000 foot level on a climb, and I was told not only that The Enemy put them there to test people's faith, but that the mountains were the backbone of earth, and always had been there.

Then there was the activities. Monday bible classes, Tuesday women's group, Wednesday small group, Thursday mission to the inner city. Friday was off.

Oh, and that Thursday mission to the inner city? That was to 'help the mentally ill'? How? To have them saved by Christ.

Not only that, she then started taking exorcism classes put on by the church. Her goal was to open a spiritual counselling office, and then she could 'drive the devil out of the mentally ill' and save them. She was as serious as a heart attack that mental illness was caused only by satan.

It was at that point that I told her that her and my respective futures were best served apart, and we got a divorce. An amicable one, but we never kept in contact after that.

Goofy as heck that religion. Exorcisms? Really? We are in the 21st century. Why not chop the head off a chicken, toss the blood around, chant some incantations, and then read the entrails.

Both make about as much sense as the other.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
......When it comes to knowledge of the Bible, Mormons score higher than any other Christians.
Yeah, Mormons score almost as high as atheists. Which score higher than any of the Christian adherents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity