Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 01:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know what's interesting? Science will study and study these things, but never attribute a Creator to what has been created.

The sun is a certain distance from the earth, and supplies the earth with the exact amount of heat to sustain life. The earth moves about the sun year after year consistently in the same path. The moon and stars likewise behave in a predictable pattern. The movement of the planets is predictable. There are no design flaws. There are no errors. Who is responsible? You can't do something of this magnitude with this accuracy without a Creator.

Why not?

There have been hundreds of exoplanets found, many of which would be in the same 'just right' area that Earth is. Do they have life? Who knows? If so, how advanced is it? Less than ours, more or extinct?

Science will determine that at some point. Whether we will be around to find the answer, who knows?\

But... no "creator" or magical, invisible and unprovable entity required. Science is not woo.. religion is.

Quote:
You keep wanting me to acknowledge what man has done in figuring out the age of the earth. Why don't you acknowledge what God has done and give Him (or someone) credit - which is infinitely greater than anything man has done or studied?
Because there is no evidence of any god. Just because there are gaps in humans knowledge does not mean that some magical entity exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:07 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

Why not?

There have been hundreds of exoplanets found, many of which would be in the same 'just right' area that Earth is. Do they have life? Who knows? If so, how advanced is it? Less than ours, more or extinct?

Science will determine that at some point. Whether we will be around to find the answer, who knows?\

But... no "creator" or magical, invisible and unprovable entity required. Science is not woo.. religion is.

Because there is no evidence of any god. Just because there are gaps in humans knowledge does not mean that some magical entity exists.
This isn't even a religious discussion. What - just because God is involved inherently means it's religious?

This is about a universal system in place of massive size and scope that operates without fault with incredible accuracy - and you are telling me no one is responsible. You wouldn't look at a piece of machinery on the earth and say no one created or designed it. Yet, for an infinitely larger system that has functioned flawlessly for "billions and billions" of years - no one is responsible. You may want to ponder that...

Old 10-28-2015, 02:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Some Christians believe the creation story in the Bible to be factual, but not all literalists believe in the young earth idea. Out of interest how many on this forum believe that the earth is no more than 10,000 years old at most? I just find it totally amazing that anyone can think the earth is so young, when the evidence pointing to it being very old indeed is so credible

When I was a young teenager in the early 60s, I asked the YEC pastor of the Pentecostal church, I was unfortunate enough to attend, where dinosaurs fitted into his young earth belief. The man said that the deity had put them there as a test of faith! My faith took a serious nose dive after that ludicrous statement!
I believe the earth to be roughly 6,000-10,000 years old. I do believe the literal Genesis account. I believe Christianity depends on a literal Adam and Eve.

Having said that, I wouldn't have issue with the idea of it being 100,000 years old. Perhaps the writers in the OT left out some generations that were not of importance.

Honestly though....I really don't care about arguing it. It's not an important thing to my faith.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:31 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This isn't even a religious discussion. What - just because God is involved inherently means it's religious?

This is about a universal system in place of massive size and scope that operates without fault with incredible accuracy - and you are telling me no one is responsible. You wouldn't look at a piece of machinery on the earth and say no one created or designed it. Yet, for an infinitely larger system that has functioned flawlessly for "billions and billions" of years - no one is responsible. You may want to ponder that...
I have.

No imaginary friends required.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,590,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
When the word 'Dinosaur' was coined is completely irrevelent to the issue at hand. And the claim that human footprints were found beside dinosaur tracks seems to have been discounted.
For many years claims were made by strict, "young-earth" creationists that human footprints or "giant man tracks" occur alongside fossilized dinosaur tracks in the limestone beds of the Paluxy River, near Glen Rose Texas. If true, such a finding would dramatically contradict the conventional geologic timetable, which holds that humans did not appear on earth until over 60 million years after the dinosaurs became extinct. However, the "man track" claims have not stood up to close scientific scrutiny, and in recent years have been abandoned even by most creationists. [Bolding mine]

Read more: Paluxy Dinosaur/"Man Track" controversy
regardless, there are man tracks next to dinosaur tracks.
it's even more convincing that talk of these great beasts is not only in
the Bible and virtually all legendary literature, suggesting an oral history,
but also in actual artifacts. Perfectly portrayed dinosaurs are depicted
in ancient artifacts.
These were made many centuries before anyone
dug up their bones and attempted to re-construct them scientifically.
Archaeology and History say that dinosaurs and man lived together.
Evolution does not, because it doesn't fit inside their pinhole of lies.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
Either one believes unproven scientific theory, which in itself requires faith, or one who believes the literal creation story in Gen 1. I accept the latter based on my faith in God's word being true and inerrant.
The literal reading does not support YEC.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:55 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
in ancient artifacts.
There are also artifacts with dragons and krakens and all sorts of other beasts. So what? You say they were, "made many centuries before anyone dug up their bones and attempted to re-construct them scientifically," but the fact is, you don't know that. They could have dug up bones themselves, and reconstructed them. Finding something to support a belief you already hold is called confirmation bias.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The living God through Jesus Christ has blessed here and gives a word of clarity almost every day , and I do not believe in the seven solar day creation of the literal interpretation of the Bible or .....................even the flood of Noah which was on the whole earth ..................., but I do believe that God had an interaction with man about the 6,000 years ago and when he chose man to be His children and not the other animals of the earth ,........ which is the root of all the evil in the earth as the devil and demons spirits hate man because of this choice ................... Then the flood if it happened then it would be centered in the Black sea and the Caspian sea and the Mediterranean sea and not the entire earth ................... See I believe something NOT like the 6000 years earth , and God through Jesus does not condemn me , as long as I keep the peace on the history of the bible in the spirit

Old 10-28-2015, 03:34 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
in ancient artifacts.
Not everyone agrees that the Bible refers to what we call dinosaurs.

The information below is from godandscience.org. Read the whole article rather than just the excerpt below.
Dinosaurs FAQ

Did dinosaurs and humans coexist?

No. All remaining dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago by a huge asteroid that impacted near the Yucatan Peninsula. The impact was so devastating that if wiped out 30%-80% of other land-dwelling species, as well as over 50% of plant species.7 A press release entitled "Dinosaurs Died Within Hours After Asteroid Hit Earth 65 Million Years Ago" described the results of a collision of the large asteroid with the earth:

"The six-mile-in-diameter asteroid is thought to have hit Chicxulub in the Yucatan, striking with the energy of 100 million megatons of TNT, said chief author and Researcher Doug Robertson of the department of geological sciences and the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences. The 'heat pulse' caused by re-entering ejected matter would have reached around the globe, igniting fires and burning up all terrestrial organisms not sheltered in burrows or in water, he said."8

What about dinosaur along side human footprints?

Carl Baugh made famous the idea that there exist human footprints along side dinosaur ones at the Paluxy Riverbed near Glen Rose, Texas. However, the "human" prints are huge at about 2 feet long. In addition, they are highly filled in so that the prints are not clear at all. However, some of the prints show three separate areas, suggestive that they come from a three-toed dinosaur. We don't see any biblical evidence of three-toed people, so we are guessing that the "human" prints are really just the prints of smaller dinosaurs. In fact, ICR president John Morris admitted in 1986 that the Paluxy footprints are probably not human but are eroded dinosaur footprints (ICR Impact #151).

What about cave drawings showing dinosaurs?

We haven't seen any caveman drawings that suggest they saw dinosaurs. Some of the better drawings allow us to identify now extinct large mammals. However, when one is trying to interpret caveman scribbles, they could be just about anything, including aliens, rockets or Twinkies.

Dinosaurs in the Bible: Why Aren't They Mentioned?

To my knowledge, no human remains or artifacts have ever been found below the K-T boundary. The K-T boundary is a thin strata of iridium which is found worldwide. Iridium is rare on Earth but is common in asteroids and meteorites. The K-T boundary layer is thought to have been formed some 65 or 65.5 million years ago when the Chicxulub peninsula in Mexico was impacted by a six mile in diameter asteroid. This event is thought to have been largely responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs, although volcanic activity and disease may also have been factors. Some have suggested that the dinosaurs may have already been headed for extinction even before the Chicxulub event.

I do believe that man was specially created and placed in the garden by the way. As stated, I hold to the ruin/restoration view of creation with an undefined period of time between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Here in the Bible Belt, young earth creationism is widespread.

One of the factors is that fundamentalism does not allow death (of any species) before Adam and Eve sinned. Their sin cursed the entire planet from humans on down to microbes. If they accepted an old earth, they would have to accept that there was death before Adam and Eve sinned.

Fundamentalism also required the Bible to be without error, which includes the genealogies in the Old Testament, hence the believe that the earth is just over 6,000 years old. It does not allow for a gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2 and it does not allow "day" to mean anything other than a literal 24-hour day.

People like Ken Ham who cherry pick and re-interpret scientific evidence to try to build a case for a young earth are to science what David Barton is to American History. Both of them do far more to drive people away from Christianity than bring people into the fold. If you want to believe in a young earth you have to do it on faith alone because all of the scientific evidence we have point to an old earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity