Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Well that struck a nerve. How else may I offend you today?
p.s. It was actually more of an Abracadabra than Alacazam.
Offended? Fascinated would be a much better word.

I am offended by people saying Journey was the greatest rock band in history. Someone talking about mud and magic? Not even remotely offensive. Sorry to disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,571,617 times

Just for you, DDI

Old 10-28-2015, 09:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
YECs bring shame unto the entire Christian village.

They are an abomination to reason, intelligence and education.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Journey was to music what Fundamentalism is to rational thought.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,605,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
One of the factors is that fundamentalism does not allow death (of any species) before Adam and Eve sinned. Their sin cursed the entire planet from humans on down to microbes. If they accepted an old earth, they would have to accept that there was death before Adam and Eve sinned.
Although it may be true that all death entered the God-created world when A/E sinned,
it is also quite possible to be a YEC and Christian, and believe from the Genesis narrative
that plants and animals died before man was created. So I wouldn't be so rash to claim
what you're saying. The creation sequence plainly says man, made in the image of God,
who is not said to have been cursed with physical death until the Fall, was created
AFTER the beings of nature, and had dominion over them. Here is the sequence.
Thus, it can be maintained that non-human life died in cycles before man was even created.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
By the number of believers making repeated statements about the "lack of evidence " concerning evolution, there is obviously a lot of believers who have little or no understanding about evolution and the rigorous examination it has been and continues to be subjected to , without a single flaw being found in the theory. It requires about the same amount of faith as it does to believe in electricity or gravity, or that steel ships can float or steel planes can fly, which is to say very very little.

People are welcome to believe in a magical creation because they believe it is dictated to be such by the Bible , but please, leave it at that and quit making stupid remarks about evolution in attempted support of that belief. Those doing so show that they have not made their decision on anything resembling education, scientific understanding, or logic , but on blind belief in a sacred book coupled with a complete lack of understanding of what evolution actually is and how thoroughly it has been tested.
Actually the vast majority of those who believe in Evolution have no clue. They believe the "we suppose, it looks like, probably, it is possible" type of comments found through out their belief system is science. It is blind faith in a teaching of ... well those they want to believe.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And the magic happens where? There was a claim magic was involved. Should be easy enough to back up a claim of ....something.... coming from mud which was....somewhere....doing.... something.... because of PRESTO! Magic!!

Dirty water and mud are two different things. Was it dirty water or mud? I'm thinking someone's story isn't straight. I'm going to be real disappointed if we find out magic wasn't involved. As I said.... my hippie, leftist professors didn't mention magic. I'd have noticed. Trust me on that one. Is that a fundie thing?
Well read a book on Evolution if you want a detailed explanation. Wait it will not have scientific details that are based on evidence, just speculation. But the claim is that life evolved/originated out of primal water. Yes in the end it is the "magic" of macro Evolution, or in other words .. speculation.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You do understand the concept of hyperbole, right?
Maybe her problem is that life from mud/dirty water is a Fundie thing of those who believe in Evolution.

Or she thinks Hyperbole is speaking of someone who is ecstatic about bowling. You know Hyper to Bowl.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:55 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,243,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
I'm not to impressed with so-called Christians like yourself who use their own POV, however biased or flawed, to denigrate others that understand what God's word says, and except it in faith.

I have a name, and your condescending address shows nothing more than a spiritual snobbery based on a very limited understanding and acceptance of God's written word. Your vernacular does not impress me nor does it prove you have ANY humbleness at all. Your purported experience means nothing to me, except that you belong to a very divisive Baptist denomination that can't make up it's mind whether it is RT or not. I have been saved for over 4 decades now and in my experience, if it walks, quacks and waddles like a duck, it's a duck.

If you want real Christians to think you are one, then act like one. Your world view is so narrow that you have no idea how many true believers accept the YEC account clearly demonstrated in Genesis 1.

Non sequitur analogies don't work on me or most who KNOW, and deflecting from the actual issue is just that. I would suggest you learn about the so-called science and while your at it, tell me exactly how many people owned Fords back in 1930? If you can't get that right, how exactly can ANYONE actually KNOW how old the earth is, based on imperfect theories and systems not corroborated by anyone but the people trying to prove them?

Again, your ad hominems only show your penchant for insulting rather then inquiring, and I have no reason to believe you even know the God you claim to speak for or about. You remind me of a Governor of Texas back in the 20's that said if the King James version was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me. I don't really care what Ken Ham does or how he makes a living. I'm old enough to think and assess things for myself, and have been for quite some time. Your grasp of factual evidences are severely lacking IMO, but your verbal diarrhea is even more telling.

That may be how you respond to God, but not me or those who actually believe what His written word states. I don't presume to judge God or His motives, not do I presume that my onw human understand and rational can get anywhere close to understanding what creation entailed. I simply accept God's written account. This is the crux of the matter IMO....those who are full of their onw cognitive dissonance regarding their own lack of faith are the loudest tins cans that rail against people of real faith. YEC is NOT a pretense, unlike your condescending conservative one.
Wow. That kind of vitriol is usually reserved for the atheists. I have never witnessed such an attack from one Christian to another over a mere difference in belief. You are an example.

"Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord." (Leviticus 19: 17-18)

Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,989,474 times
The earth could be millions or even billions of years old:

Genesis 1:1-2 by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth.
(2) Yet the earth became a chaos and vacant, and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos.
Yet the spirit of the Elohim is vibrating over the surface of the water.

So the time frame between 1:1 to 1:2 could be millions or billions of years.
In 1:2 God is making the earth habitable again which occurred around 10,000 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity