Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
System continuously won't let me rep you, Miss Hepburn so I'll rep you here.
I agree. And I'm not calling Jesus out on everything he said in the sermon. Obviously some of it is pretty good. But you're right. Jesus stops half-way. Being God he knew that César Franck (1822-90) would set the beatitudes to music 1800 years later so he had to keep them short and sweet. That's about the best I can figure it.
Aw, you're a sweetheart. Public adulations are accepted!

Well, others have figured some things out.
There were no tape recorders! They only got part.
The other insight is, like reincarnation and such things...they eliminated Jesus' explanation of
how the veil is so thin to the Other Side...you can talk to your love ones...they are right here.
Couldn't have that, dontchano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Aw, you're a sweetheart. Public adulations are accepted!

Well, others have figured some things out.
There were no tape recorders! They only got part.
The other insight is, like reincarnation and such things...they eliminated Jesus' explanation of
how the veil is so thin to the Other Side...you can talk to your love ones...they are right here.
Couldn't have that, dontchano.

So true. It might get a certain pastor's panties in a bunch.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM

45,552 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Anyone who bothers to analyze some of the things attributed to Jesus saying have to stop and analyze how silly if not downright stupid they actually were. For example, Matthew 5:27-28

So Jesus is saying that a thought is as bad as the criminal act itself. So if I have a flashing hatred for my neighbor and a thought of killing him I've as good as actually killed him in God's eyes and am guilty of physically murdering him. Pretty silly, given the human nature God instilled in me.

One thing here is that God is trying to tell us how He regards things... which is different than how we regard things. Lusting after a woman in my own mind doesn't hurt anybody. No people see what I am thinking. However God sees it. With regards to God, how we think can be considered sin.

Here's the other thing that God knows - often what is sown in the heart will manifest itself out in the open.

So the seed of lust (that nobody could see) that started in David's heart when he saw Bathsheba, took root which ended up in adultery, pregnancy, and murder.

God designed us. He knows us. The best way to maintain a safe distance from sin is to keep our thought life clean.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
The Numero Uno silly sentence (not) uttered from Jesus ...

Abba, Abba, why have You forsaken me.

As, if...

Even John said in a message in 1914 ... We were so far back, we couldn't
have heard him anyway...
He did not say that ...

Old 12-08-2015, 01:21 PM

88,538 posts, read 84,719,546 times
I think Jesus said some of the things he said sardonically, but the humor doesn't come through in translation.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
This is what I mean about you, Vizio. You can't tell the difference between allegory fiction and reality. The story of Adam and Eve is obviously a Jewish fable to teach Jews about how God first interacted with men. Even Jewish scholars of the Bible recognize and teach this today. it is only Christian fundamentalists who have not graduated Sunday school mentality and still believe this all actually happened.
How do you know that?

Jesus seemed to think Adam was an actual historical being. Do you realize that?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
One thing here is that God is trying to tell us how He regards things... which is different than how we regard things. Lusting after a woman in my own mind doesn't hurt anybody. No people see what I am thinking. However God sees it. With regards to God, how we think can be considered sin.

Here's the other thing that God knows - often what is sown in the heart will manifest itself out in the open.

So the seed of lust (that nobody could see) that started in David's heart when he saw Bathsheba, took root which ended up in adultery, pregnancy, and murder.

God designed us. He knows us. The best way to maintain a safe distance from sin is to keep our thought life clean.

Some of what you say is right on, but it wasn't too wise of Jesus to leave it to us to figure out.

If a man carries lust to action it pretty apparent that's wrong.

Trying to keep our thoughts clean is also a good idea because it doesn't do a man's body any good biologically-wise to get worked up and not have a healthy release of hormone. Can you say "High blood pressure, stroke and heart attack"?

But simply having a passing lust because you're biologically created by God to have an arousal when a sexy female walks by is totally understandable and there's nothing sinful about that. I don't care about drawing distinctions between how God feels about it vs how man feels about it. That's not the issue. The issue is that God broke us. He's responsible for our parts going awry. Jesus should own up to that fact and state the problem and solution plainly instead of just throwing out willy-nilly "If you look at a girl and have some lust in your heart you're on your way to the flames of hell, baby!" That's utterly stupid and totally not realistic. That was the point of my OP.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,434,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Lusting after a woman in my own mind doesn't hurt anybody.

Does too.

LOL, wished it dint.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM

45,552 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Some of what you say is right on, but it wasn't too wise of Jesus to leave it to us to figure out.

If a man carries lust to action it pretty apparent that's wrong.

Trying to keep our thoughts clean is also a good idea because it doesn't do a man's body any good biologically-wise to get worked up and not have a healthy release of hormone. Can you say "High blood pressure, stroke and heart attack"?

But simply having a passing lust because you're biologically created by God to have an arousal when a sexy female walks by is totally understandable and there's nothing sinful about that. I don't care about drawing distinctions between how God feels about it vs how man feels about it. That's not the issue. The issue is that God broke us. He's responsible for our parts going awry. Jesus should own up to that fact and state the problem and solution plainly instead of just throwing out willy-nilly "If you look at a girl and have some lust in your heart you're on your way to the flames of hell, baby!" That's utterly stupid and totally not realistic. That was the point of my OP.
Regarding underline #1 - He doesn't necessarily want us to figure it out. He wants us to have faith in Him, and what He says.

Regarding the last paragraph - God says different about being aroused.

Also God did not break us. We broke us.

No one is destined for the flames specifically because they looked at a woman. The Bible does not say that.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:24 PM

88,538 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How do you know that?

Jesus seemed to think Adam was an actual historical being. Do you realize that?
Not necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity