Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
For so long the church has been deciding upon what is right, and what is wrong by silencing the opinions of others. The moral majority has deemed abortion, same-sex marriage, and the right to bear arms to be the sole focus of morality, but the information age is revealing the moral-majority 1) isn’t “moral” 2) neither are they the majority. “Fox News,” TBN, and the 700 Club are no longer the only platforms Christians can speak and be heard from. It’s now in the hands of others to decide what the ethical and moral focus will be.

How the Internet is Killing American Christianity
Seriously? That hasn't been the case for centuries. Ever heard of the Enlightenment? The Reformation? The Renaissance?

Once of these days, you're going to have to put aside your blind hostility to religious faith long enough to put together a coherent argument. Your pat little thesis suffers from several flaws, namely the following:

-- There is no such thing as a monolithic Christianity. Ever heard an Episcopalian and a Fundamentalist have a discussion?
-- As such, the large majority of Christians do not tune into Fox News, and we certainly wouldn't watch TBN or the 700 Club, which is pretty much run by charlatans.
-- Christianity simply does not control the levers of power, much as you'd like to think so.
-- Abortion is an absolutely legitimate ethical discussion outside the realm of religious faith, since it entails the snuffing out of a human life.

In short, you make a lazy argument based on stereotypes rather than any evident experience with the faith. I so wish people like you would actually talk to Christians who aren't fire-breathing Fundamentalists. They may be louder, but they aren't more numerous.

I mean, the printing press created a titanic shift in human understanding through the wide dissemination of the written word, the creation of independent voices, and the spreading of literacy. If Christianity wasn't ultimately harmed by Gutenberg, then why would it be harmed by Google?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously? That hasn't been the case for centuries. Ever heard of the Enlightenment? The Reformation? The Renaissance?

Once of these days, you're going to have to put aside your blind hostility to religious faith long enough to put together a coherent argument. Your pat little thesis suffers from several flaws, namely the following:

-- There is no such thing as a monolithic Christianity. Ever heard an Episcopalian and a Fundamentalist have a discussion?
-- As such, the large majority of Christians do not tune into Fox News, and we certainly wouldn't watch TBN or the 700 Club, which is pretty much run by charlatans.
-- Christianity simply does not control the levers of power, much as you'd like to think so.
-- Abortion is an absolutely legitimate ethical discussion outside the realm of religious faith, since it entails the snuffing out of a human life.

In short, you make a lazy argument based on stereotypes rather than any evident experience with the faith. I so wish people like you would actually talk to Christians who aren't fire-breathing Fundamentalists. They may be louder, but they aren't more numerous.

I mean, the printing press created a titanic shift in human understanding through the wide dissemination of the written word, the creation of independent voices, and the spreading of literacy. If Christianity wasn't ultimately harmed by Gutenberg, then why would it be harmed by Google?
And how do you see me in the spectrum of "religion?" Using your best judgment, who am I??

So the fact that fire-breathing Fundamentalists are the IMAGE present most often in the media and in 80% of organized churches, where might one expect to find Christians who aren't fire-breathing Fundamentalists

Old 01-07-2016, 12:34 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
And how do you see me in the spectrum of "religion?" Using your best judgment, who am I??

So the fact that fire-breathing Fundamentalists are the IMAGE present most often in the media and in 80% of organized churches, where might one expect to find Christians who aren't fire-breathing Fundamentalists
Let's see the stats on that.

As far as whatever religious tradition you cling to, I'm guessing it's one that favors wild-eyed unfounded rants. Westboro Baptist perhaps?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:49 PM

88,592 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

I agree it's the image presented in the media. It makes for far more exciting and controversial video than a bunch of Christians visiting a Reform synagogue because one of their members has a Jewish life partner who is speaking that night.

Or a predominantly African-American Episcopal congregation that runs a food pantry, soup kitchen, clthing-distribution center and helps locals find jobs and go on interviews. They've been doing that for 28 years. Never see them on the news.

But 80% fundy in organized churches? Don't think so in the NYC metro area. Maybe wherever you are.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-07-2016 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 12:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
The Internet was critical in helping me to lose Christianity. Prior to the Internet I would never have known that

1. There is no secular evidence that Jesus of Nazareth ever existed.
2. That the gospels were written by ordinary men, not the apostles 50-100 years after Jesus' crucifixion
3. That Christianity was a fringe religion in disarray with about 1000 different sects until Constantine unified it all in 325 AD
4. That the Jesus legend is based off of numerous earlier dying/rising gods sharing the same story
5. That roughly 5,000 contradictions in scriptures have been catalogued
6. That Paul contradicts what Jesus taught at nearly every step of the way
7. Dozens and dozens more

Yes, the Internet has definitely killed Christianity for me.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:41 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The Internet was critical in helping me to lose Christianity. Prior to the Internet I would never have known that

2. That the gospels were written by ordinary men, not the apostles 50-100 years after Jesus' crucifixion
3. That Christianity was a fringe religion in disarray with about 1000 different sects until Constantine unified it all in 325 AD
4. That the Jesus legend is based off of numerous earlier dying/rising gods sharing the same story
5. That roughly 5,000 contradictions in scriptures have been catalogued
6. That Paul contradicts what Jesus taught at nearly every step of the way
7. Dozens and dozens more

Yes, the Internet has definitely killed Christianity for me.
Dont worry according to some on here with the OSAS doctrine, you can be saved and give a testimony like yours, how you willfully walked away from Christ and still be all good with Christ in the end.

Thank God for Once Saved Always Saved.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
For so long the church has been deciding upon what is right,
What "church"? Depending on who you talk to, there are 32,000 different churches.
Quote:

and what is wrong by silencing the opinions of others. The moral majority has deemed abortion, same-sex marriage,
God has said those things are wrong. It's not just a bunch of holier-than-thous.
Quote:
and the right to bear arms to be the sole focus of morality, but the information age is revealing the moral-majority 1) isn’t “moral” 2) neither are they the majority. “Fox News,” TBN, and the 700 Club are no longer the only platforms Christians can speak and be heard from. It’s now in the hands of others to decide what the ethical and moral focus will be.
I don't watch any of those 3. Never really have.

The church has faced tougher challenges than the internet. God has promised it won't be defeated.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Dont worry according to someon here with the OSAS doctrine, you can be saved and give a testimony like yours, how you willfully walked away from Christ and still be all good with Christ in the end.

Thank God for Once Saved Always Saved.

Well, let's hope Jesus recognizes OSAS at the judgment.

Fundamentalists might have a problem with OSAS. And that's the problem, isn't it, one of the big ones that led me to doubt Jesus was the messiah and think he was just an ordinary man gone badly wrong and ended up crucified and end of story? If Jesus were truly God he would have known all the problems that would emerge with his story centuries later--all the ones I described---and made provisions to ensure such conflicts never arose and that his existence and testimony would be so well-documented that no one, not even the most hardened atheists could contest it.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
Quote:

Fundamentalists might have a problem with OSAS. And that's the problem, isn't it, one of the big ones that led me to doubt Jesus was the messiah and think he was just an ordinary man gone badly wrong and ended up crucified and end of story? If Jesus were truly God he would have known all the problems that would emerge with his story centuries later--all the ones I described---and made provisions to ensure such conflicts never arose and that his existence and testimony would be so well-documented that no one, not even the most hardened atheists could contest it.
-Doesn't need to be, the bible says the just shall live by faith

"2. That the gospels were written by ordinary men, not the apostles 50-100 years after Jesus' crucifixion"
-Havent found proof for or agaisnt this yet, but this would have to go back to faith as far as believing Scriptures are the inspired word of God through men that was protected and passed down.

"3. That Christianity was a fringe religion in disarray with about 1000 different sects until Constantine unified it all in 325 AD"
-Christians with all their anti Judaism back then have themselves to blame on that and allowing the RCC to have the final say

"4. That the Jesus legend is based off of numerous earlier dying/rising gods sharing the same story"
-Jesus can easily be foretold from the OT and all the things he fulfilled made it obvious he was the Messiah

"5. That roughly 5,000 contradictions in scriptures have been catalogued"

-Ive seen alot of them, but most are by the person who are writing that website that dont understand scripture themselves so they just claim contradictions rather than looking at context, but most issues are probably more with the constant translations and transliteration of the bible over time"

"6. That Paul contradicts what Jesus taught at nearly every step of the way"
-Its many Christians who twist scriptures out of context that lead to that, as Paul and Jesus taught the same exact thing

Old 01-07-2016, 02:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:

Well...Jesus did say that all that come to him are kept in him...so there's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity