Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:31 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If Christ was not concerned, why are we? Obviously there are bigger fish to fry than building a mega church..

AND, who are we to question God?
No so fast.

Luke 21

21 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury, 2 and He saw also a certain poor widow putting in two mites. 3 So He said, “Truly I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all; 4 for all these out of their abundance have put in offerings for God, but she out of her poverty put in all the livelihood that she had.

It is my opinion that if God wants the OP to send his kids to a private school, He will bless them with enough money to do so. The local church performs many good deeds for the community. The members must remain faithful for that to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,894,870 times
Plus, the fact that you need the money for your family is proof that you are using it wisely. The churches are the most bloated, money loving institutions ever created by men. For example, there are many Christians who own more than one vehicle, usually one being for recreational use. They spend money on expensive hobbies and worldly things, even though they know there are people in their own communities who are starving and begging. Why would you ever go to these people for spiritual advice?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Plus, the fact that you need the money for your family is proof that you are using it wisely. The churches are the most bloated, money loving institutions ever created by men. For example, there are many Christians who own more than one vehicle, usually one being for recreational use. They spend money on expensive hobbies and worldly things, even though they know there are people in their own communities who are starving and begging. Why would you ever go to these people for spiritual advice?
What about you? Have you taken a vow of poverty? Are there starving people in your community? What are you doing to feed them? Are you qualified to give spiritual advice?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:50 PM

My point is that if one really intends to give to God he should go straight to the source: the poor. Avoid the fat and bloated churches like the plague.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
My point is that if one really intends to give to God he should go straight to the source: the poor. Avoid the fat and bloated churches like the plague.
There's more to Christianity than charity. See 2 Tim. 2:15, Mark 14:7, etc.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:09 PM

I don't care to read them, but I imagine you are talking about preaching and making new converts. There are whole unexplored areas of the world with so much money-making potential. Peter (or Paul) in Acts had a vision of these unexplored peoples like animals prepared for a banquet. God's gift descending like a sheet down from heaven.

That's all that these peoples in the foreign nations are to Christians. Just new income sources. It's truly a gift from their "god".

Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 AM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
Give to God the best that you can as the widow gave more than her best and Jesus said she gave to most , and never paid the tithe ...............Robbing God by not paying the tithes is a legalistic doctrine of your church and leaders like to confess that to all ....... see Christians are not under the law of God , but under the spirit who lead them to the truth , but Jesus still commands the Christians pay the tithe if the money is there , and you could give to other charity like your children education instead of directly paying the tithe give to that , and God will still bless you ...............Some governments will never support the children to go to religious schools , so look to give the tuition for your children Christians education as a charity equal to the tithe

Old 04-09-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I don't care to read them, but I imagine you are talking about preaching and making new converts. There are whole unexplored areas of the world with so much money-making potential. Peter (or Paul) in Acts had a vision of these unexplored peoples like animals prepared for a banquet. God's gift descending like a sheet down from heaven.

That's all that these peoples in the foreign nations are to Christians. Just new income sources. It's truly a gift from their "god".
I'm talking about corporate worship, Bible study, sharing the gospel and Christian fellowship. There's more to the local church than just charity.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I'm talking about corporate worship, Bible study, sharing the gospel and Christian fellowship. There's more to the local church than just charity.
In other words, paying a significant portion of your income to maintain a social club, and to attract new members with irrational fear. I have already tried that. It's a form of hell on earth. And that is not honoring to God in any way.

The least I can do for myself is avoid people like that. Those who are living in darkness. And I know that God has honored that decision.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
In other words, paying a significant portion of your income to maintain a social club, and to attract new members with irrational fear. I have already tried that. It's a form of hell on earth. And that is not honoring to God in any way.

The least I can do for myself is avoid people like that. Those who are living in darkness. And I know that God has honored that decision.
You are not the subject at hand. The OP obviously loves God and their local church. The church needs money to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity