Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:53 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

My wife and I tithe to our church, as we believe that failing to do so would be robbing God. Our kids attend a public elementary school, but we want to send them to a Christian middle school and a Christian high school -- the latter of which is operated by our church.

My question is, if we used the money that we put in the collection plate to instead pay the tuition, would that be robbing God by denying Him our tithe? Or would it "count" if the money goes to a Christian entity (namely, the schools), even though they are not churches? And would it matter any that the high school is a branch of our church?

We are adamant that we do not want to rob God, so if redirecting our tithe would have that effect, we will have to find some other way to pay for the Christian schools. But I have to admit, it would make our budgeting a whole lot easier if we did use the tithe to pay for the schools.

What are your thoughts? Please and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 06:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Give all you have and follow Christ..

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

LUKE 18-22

And if you are thinking how can I do this to my children and wife..

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matthew 10:37

Old 04-08-2016, 06:40 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
If everyone did that, how would the church fund it's ministries?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If this is a response to Zman's post.....Gee.... Obviously Jesus didn't think about that.

If this is a response to the OP.... most people have X amount of money. People make choices about what to do with that money. Is the OP supposed to keep his kids out of the school of his choice so he can help fund church ministries?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Don't worry about giving to the church if you want to give to God. You can give directly to God by giving to the poor. Because that is where God's spirit is truly found.

Jesus said that is how God would judge each person. The sheep from the goats.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If this is a response to Zman's post.....Gee.... Obviously Jesus didn't think about that.

If this is a response to the OP.... most people have X amount of money. People make choices about what to do with that money. Is the OP supposed to keep his kids out of the school of his choice so he can help fund church ministries?
Yes.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:26 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,553 times
Put your hard earned money toward your children's education. You might want to volunteer at the school to assure the school is in good shape and safe for the children. Time is a valuable gift. Tithe your time.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

We are adamant that we do not want to rob God, so if redirecting our tithe would have that effect, we will have to find some other way to pay for the Christian schools.
Do all you can to give your children the best education possible. A well-educated child is not robbing God.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
If Christ was not concerned, why are we? Obviously there are bigger fish to fry than building a mega church..

AND, who are we to question God?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,090 times
Eat the tithe!

And thou shalt eat before the Lord thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the Lord thy God always. 
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity