Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think God talks back to you when we pray?
Yes. God talks to me all of the time. 13 61.90%
No. God doesnt not speak to me in my prayers. 2 9.52%
No. God speaks to me through His Word or real life situations. 4 19.05%
God has spoken to me in an audible voice. 1 4.76%
Dont Know/Not Sure 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Our thoughts help us to grow, if we do not remain stagnant.
But some prefer the
unpleasant smell of a confined space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 AM

1,146 posts, read 649,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
"Judge not that you be not judged."
- Jesus

You cannot possibly know the experience of every person who claims that they have heard from God. To do so would require a man to have omniscient powers and you simply don't have such a thing. The Bible says that only God sees the thoughts of every man's heart. Your statement is invalid and untrue.

Despite your senior status you are remarkably uninformed - or perhaps you are disparaging the testimony of others because of personal bias or because of mental incapacity. I can't know your inner mind and can only use your own words as a gauge. Consequently, I suspect a deliberate lie from you....judging you by your own words as you yourself have judged others and using your own words to do it.

I have heard the audible words of God and I am not lying.

For those who are curious about the experience, let me refer once again to the Bible. All such experiences are to be judged according to the precepts of the Bible. If they do not match the general theme presented in the Word of God, then the words one hears cannot be from the throne of heaven. They may come from the imagination. Worse yet, they may come from the kingdom of the opposer - that spirit which is called a liar and a thief and a murderer. All such experiences must be severely tested using the Bible as a measure as well as the opinion of godly men and women.

Those who do not know God usually deny the possibility because they foolishly assume that unless they have not experienced it themselves it cannot exist.

Beware the assumptions of fools, for therein lies the path to destruction.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by june 7th; 04-18-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 04-18-2016, 08:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I can't take the Poll of course, but I'm curious about the result.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:43 PM

741 posts, read 444,701 times
I have seen time and time again God answer prayers not in audible words but in action. I have have had the right information cross my path exactly when I needed or sometime before I knew I needed it. Many times it the perfect scripture told to me by a friend. Or an article pointing to a Bible account. I have been the one giving someone the perfect answer at the perfect time and didn't even know it. When this happens I have been asked times if God sent me. I answer 'maybe' because I don't really know but in my heart I feel that it's probably true that He did. If it was just preparation met with opportunity or on purpose through God's will, I still thank Him for allowing me to play some tiny part in a person's life to encourage that person. I also thank Him for any encouragement and answers I get no matter how I get it.

I also ask Him over and over for things. I always ask for more wisdom and faith in just about every prayer. I know that these are keys understanding Him and as Jesus said, “This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.” (John 17:3) This is not going to come to me like some bolt from Heaven. I will have to search for the answers but I am 100% certain that the ease of which all this knowledge has come to me is His doing.

He keeps me from tiring out. Just when I don't think I can take one more negative news story or want to give up on people completely, somehow, be it through study, a kind friend's advice or information at a meeting. I find myself strengthened somehow to keep learning and keep doing good for everyone I meet. I know for a fact I couldn't do this on my own, it must be His Holy Spirit that has lifted me up. I completely rely on Him. These things are not given, they must be asked for.

The Bible actually reminds us "Do not be anxious over anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God; and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:6, 7

Pray for what? Which prayers get answered?

There are those that might have prayed once for something and then asked 'Ok God, where are you?' Consider the following scriptures.

“No matter what we ask according to his will, he hears us.” - 1 John5:14

"Therefore, if you, although being wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!” - Luke 11:13

"So if any one of you is lacking in wisdom, let him keep asking God, for he gives generously to all and without reproaching, and it will be given him." - James 1:5

"So Peter was being kept in the prison, but the congregation was intensely praying to God for him." - Acts 12:5

If what we ask in our prayers are according to His will, we need power to do good, need wisdom and ask for others in trouble to be helped. All of these things are acceptable. We can even pray for our refuge from any thing. "Trust in him at all times, O people. Pour out your hearts before him. God is a refuge for us." (Ps 62:8) "Trust in Jehovah forever, For Jah Jehovah is the eternal Rock." (Isaiah 26:4)

It must be noted that there are some prayers that God doesn't listen to. There are some who's prayers are actually counted as a sin to Him. Consider Psalms 109:7, 8, Isaiah 1:15 and Micah 3:4.

The choice I wanted was not on the poll so I picked the one closest to what I have seen.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Prayer conveys your thoughts, nothing more.
Hmm. In the practice of Centering Prayer, the whole idea is to let thoughts go. It's based on the idea that "the first language of God is silence".

Old 04-19-2016, 05:41 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
What's the point of praying to an all knowing god? It already know what you'll be begging for.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hmm. In the practice of Centering Prayer, the whole idea is to let thoughts go. It's based on the idea that "the first language of God is silence".

Old 04-23-2016, 10:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Prayer conveys your thoughts, nothing more.
Quote:
Hmm. In the practice of Centering Prayer, the whole idea is to let thoughts go.
It's based on the idea that "the first language of God is silence".
Silence has great value.
When, it brings peace.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:05 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
What's the point of praying to an all knowing god? It already know what you'll be begging for.
Do you view prayer as "begging" or asking for something?

Old 04-27-2016, 04:39 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Quote:
Do you view prayer as "begging" or asking for something?
When believers are laying on their death bed, do they ask or beg to not die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity