Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 05:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,317,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Truth, coupled by a heart truly broken by Christ, is never offensive.
We know the scripture says speak the truth in love and we also know love is not offensive. Why anyone thinks truth(reality) is offensive is mind boggling unless of cause you are anti love, which is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Just like those who claim to "love/agape" others but neither truly understand it and show by their words they do not have love for those they disagree with.Truth to someone with a heart broken, as it were, by Christ is not offensive, but if your heart is not truly oriented on Jesus, truth is offensive.
Does "Hate the idea, love the thinker" seem reasonable to you?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Does "Hate the idea, love the thinker" seem reasonable to you?
Depends on the idea. I can hate a practice/ or act God hates, but still be willing to show love to the ones doing it.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:06 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Depends on the idea. I can hate a practice/ or act God hates, but still be willing to show love to the ones doing it.
Well, that's how we deal with people who have wrong ideas about God. We attack the IDEA.

I wonder if that idea will get through to at least one of these people who keep complaining about our loving warnings.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,415,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, that's how we deal with people who have wrong ideas about God. We attack the IDEA.

I wonder if that idea will get through to at least one of these people who keep complaining about our loving warnings.
Only if they can admit they are wrong.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 PM

63,853 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundamentalists consider anyone who rejects their dogma as evil and hostile, Pleroo. It is part of the package. It is sad, very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I don't think it's fair to paint millions of people with such a broad brush...perhaps this was meant to be facetious or sarcastic and not really meant to apply to all conservative Christians? Please advise. As per John 13:35, the world is supposed to know we are Christians by the way we love one another.
It is clearly about that subset of Christians who are fundamentalists. Not all Christians and followers of Christ are fundamentalists. Fundamentalists accept and follow very barbaric and primitive beliefs about God's motives based on our ancestors' ignorance and superstitions. That does NOT make them ignorant, or barbaric or superstitious, but it does make them wrong. They are part of the majority anti-Christ apostate church prophesied for these latter days.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-12-2016 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 10:38 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,850,287 times
Quote:
Truth is offensive to those who do not want to hear it or disagree with it.

KJV John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

An example is that many want to say this verses is really meaning less.KJV John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
In context he would not condemn her for her past sin of adultery. However she was to cease that sin or ... she would not be hearing him.

Many today want to say once you turn to Jesus and claim him as your lord and savior no sin you commit is an issue as to your salvation. But if you ignore what he says, you do not know him nor is he your Lord and Savior. Many just hear what they want to hear.

Just like those who claim to "love/agape" others but neither truly understand it and show by their words they do not have love for those they disagree with.Truth to someone with a heart broken, as it were, by Christ is not offensive, but if your heart is not truly oriented on Jesus, truth is offensive.

Have you ever thought about why he said that? "Go and sin no more"

It was really all he could say. He was God in the flesh. His standard is perfection, he could ask for nothing less. Did he expect her not to sin anymore? No, of course not. We can't not sin. We all fall short of his standard, perfection. Which is why Jesus came.

Go and sin no more, expat. Keep us posted on how that works out for you.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,850,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We know the scripture says speak the truth in love and we also know love is not offensive. Why anyone thinks truth(reality) is offensive is mind boggling unless of cause you are anti love, which is God.

I don't get that either. I love a quote from a comment on an article about why Christians should be LGBTQ affirming. It was in response to a poster who was convinced they were speaking the truth in love that Christian LGBTQ people that didn't repent and turn from their "homosexual lifestyle", weren't really Christian. Here is the quote:

When your truth degrades people, it’s not loving.

When your truth reduces relationships to sex acts, it’s not loving.

When your truth makes people want to hurt or kill themselves, it’s not loving.

When your truth incites people to bully, abuse and murder, it's not loving.

When your truth makes the gospel something that is only available to people who believe like you, it’s not loving.

When your truth pushes people away from Jesus instead of toward him, it is not loving.

And if your truth isn’t loving, is it really truth?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,368,605 times
Quote:
I don't get that either. I love a quote from a comment on an article about why Christians should be LGBTQ affirming. It was in response to a poster who was convinced they were speaking the truth in love that Christian LGBTQ people that didn't repent and turn from their "homosexual lifestyle", weren't really Christian. Here is the quote:

When your truth makes the gospel something that is only available to people who believe like you, it’s not loving.

When your truth pushes people away from Jesus instead of toward him, it is not loving.

I have thought about your question statements and I do think it's possible to speak the truth and still fulfill those question statements.

I don't personally think that God wants us to be "affirming" of anything that He has made clear is not acceptable for followers of Jesus. Do you agree? Because the rest of my post is kind of predicated on that, just as a fair warning to you.

Anyway, to continue. We cannot be affirming of sin, but certainly we need to be careful that we are not being more condemnatory of one type of sin than another, focusing on one sin -- say, sex outside of the covenant of marriage as defined Biblically (Mark 10, Matt 19) -- while giving short shrift to another -- say, drunkenness or gossip.

We do not want to be prejudicial -- we want to bring the Good News to everyone and make clear their worth in God's eyes and God's desire to see them repent of their sins and confess Him as their Lord and Savior, so that they might find a better life in Jesus Christ than they have ever known before.

We are called to stand on the truth, and that doesn't mean we are not loving; far from it, I think it is out of love that believers seek to share and spread the Good News across the earth. Certainly, the Bible compels us to do many things that may not be popular in the world, and warns us that the world will hate us because of who we are -- but that the world should also know we are by the way we love one another.

Everyone struggles with sin and everyone who comes to Christ comes from a place of sin and brokenness. They must come to Jesus with a repentant heart and confess Him as their Lord and Savior. Jesus saves, and Jesus heals, and Jesus changes lives in amazing and powerful ways.

Jesus's standards are incredibly high -- who here has never felt lust in their hearts? -- and we all fall short of them. So I believe most or all people can find a common ground in conversation if the topic of sexual immorality comes up because it is such a common struggle for so many people.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,404,184 times
Quote:

These are the conclusions I was coming to when I was still a Christian. And that is the question that changed my heart and mind about thinking that I was speaking in love when I opposed gay marriage or thought I was speaking for God when I called homosexuality an abomination.

Pcamps is correct ... If the truth is that God IS love, then the truth is not offensive, unless you are anti-love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity