Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
We are all deserving of hell pcamps.. and yes, the Bible is offensive in that way.. truth is offensive! But that doesn't justify hostility in any way, the only way to be saved is the truth, and the truth is though we are deserving of hell, God wants to save us because He loves us and wants to give you His grace if only you'd believe in Jesus Christ. That is the Gospel that's offensive and you hate so much, Jesus Christ came to seek and save the lost out of love.
No we are not. No the bible is not offensive and neither is truth offensive to anyone but those whose heart and minds are closed. In Jesus' day not one person considered a sinner by the fundamentalists was offended by Jesus and his teachings, but the those whose hearts and minds were closed were offended by everything he taught ? Why because he set folk free and freed from them the burdens those fundies had laid upon them(in other words they could no longer control them by fear).

You tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but you yourselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Easy and light is not offensive(hope that does not offend you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundamentalists consider anyone who rejects their dogma as evil and hostile, Pleroo. It is part of the package. It is sad, very sad.
Without fail and cry persecution along with it, which is a disgrace in itself when you consider the real persecution and suffering have gone through.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,371,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Fundamentalists consider anyone who rejects their dogma as evil and hostile, Pleroo. It is part of the package. It is sad, very sad.
I don't think it's fair to paint millions of people with such a broad brush...perhaps this was meant to be facetious or sarcastic and not really meant to apply to all conservative Christians? Please advise. As per John 13:35, the world is supposed to know we are Christians by the way we love one another.

Quote:
We are all deserving of hell pcamps.. and yes, the Bible is offensive in that way.. truth is offensive! But that doesn't justify hostility in any way, the only way to be saved is the truth, and the truth is though we are deserving of hell, God wants to save us because He loves us and wants to give you His grace if only you'd believe in Jesus Christ.
Amen. John 14:6.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:37 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,051,523 times
Quote:
No we are not. No the bible is not offensive and neither is truth offensive to anyone but those whose heart and minds are closed. In Jesus' day not one person considered a sinner by the fundamentalists was offended by Jesus and his teachings, but the those whose hearts and minds were closed were offended by everything he taught ? Why because he set folk free and freed from them the burdens those fundies had laid upon them.

You tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people's shoulders, but you yourselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.

My yoke is easy and my burden is light. Easy and light is not offensive(hope that does not offend you)

Yes you want an easy and light Gospel, one that says 'Peace, peace'.. and lulls people asleep with dreams of love and unity, though heading for judgment. Such a Gospel doesn't exist in the Bible.

Matthew 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

These aren't the times of Jesus pcamps, for instance people then pretty much all believed in a God or 'gods', also John the Baptist made clear the way of the Lord with his baptism of repentance. And still many that followed Him left Him, and didn't they all scream for His crucifixion when Pilate wanted to let Him go? Mind you, this was a Man that had done nothing but good to them, healing, miracles, creating food etc. And they scream for His crucifixion?!

They killed the Prophets, they killed Christ, and they killed the apostles. You think Gods Word might be offensive? It's only not offensive if you are a false prophet, like the pope, and don't tell people to turn from sin and fear God, then all people love you.

Jeremiah 23:16-22 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD. They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you. For who hath stood in the counsel of the LORD, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it? Behold, a whirlwind of the LORD is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked. The anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly. I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied. But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

Luke 6:26 Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
We are all deserving of hell pcamps.. and yes, the Bible is offensive in that way.. truth is offensive! But that doesn't justify hostility in any way, the only way to be saved is the truth, and the truth is though we are deserving of hell, God wants to save us because He loves us and wants to give you His grace if only you'd believe in Jesus Christ. That is the Gospel that's offensive and you hate so much, Jesus Christ came to seek and save the lost out of love.
I believe Jesus Christ and most if not all of the ministry of bible fundamentalism is not what Jesus taught. How can anyone other than a fundamentalist hate the one who opened the eyes of the blind, heals the broken hearted, set the captives free and preached good news to the poor.......... Hey you poor folk you are not the dirty rotten insignificant worms deserving of hell that the fundies would have you believe, I have always loved you and always will, I have never left you and never will, so peace to you, fear not and have faith in your Heavenly Father..... Now that is good news( hope that does not offend you).

Ps, it was your forefathers that killed the prophets and crucified Jesus Christ.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:44 PM

45,706 posts, read 27,317,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe Jesus Christ...
You believe in His death for your sins and His physical resurrection? That would be a change in position for you...

Old 07-12-2016, 02:22 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You believe in His death for your sins and His physical resurrection? That would be a change in position for you...
I could have sworn he said "I believe Jesus Christ," not "I believe doctrines about Jesus Christ."

Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,856,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You shouldn't base your observations on internet forums. If we come off really negative it's often because anti-fundamental crowd constantly puts us on the defensive, insults, bullies and gangs up. Let's see, the "miserable" people at my church recently enjoyed a church wide picnic with a homemade ice cream contest.

Also, the youth group put on a date night for married couples. Candlelight tables, played music for them and snack food. Does that sound like miserable people to you?

No one controls your responses but you. If you live in a spirit of love, if your heart is sufficiently broken, there is nothing to defend against, you are essentially unoffendable. Christ was beat on, spat upon, and called all kinds of names on his way to his crucifixion. Mirror his response.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:57 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,856,237 times
Quote:

Truth, coupled by a heart truly broken by Christ, is never offensive.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Truth, coupled by a heart truly broken by Christ, is never offensive.
Truth is offensive to those who do not want to hear it or disagree with it.

KJV John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

An example is that many want to say this verses is really meaning less.KJV John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
In context he would not condemn her for her past sin of adultery. However she was to cease that sin or ... she would not be hearing him.

Many today want to say once you turn to Jesus and claim him as your lord and savior no sin you commit is an issue as to your salvation. But if you ignore what he says, you do not know him nor is he your Lord and Savior. Many just hear what they want to hear.

Just like those who claim to "love/agape" others but neither truly understand it and show by their words they do not have love for those they disagree with.Truth to someone with a heart broken, as it were, by Christ is not offensive, but if your heart is not truly oriented on Jesus, truth is offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity