Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,425,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not doing anything., except telling you that you are barking at the wrong tree Your beef is with the Bible, not me. You unwittingly proved my point by implying that you'll accuse anyone of self-righteousness if they quote the Bible.

That ol' book is really tormenting you, isn't it?
It's misrepresentation by fundamentalists as left its toll on multitudes worldwide over the years. Yes the bible in the wrong hands has been used to torment folk, I believe you're a victim of it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 06:54 PM

64,097 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Finn, it is not a matter of where the information comes from. The people who are accused are familiar with and able to read the Bible. It is a matter of the motivation for saying it to them.
Now, I will grant that we need to find a less confrontational means of providing or demonstrating the information we are trying to express, but it is frustrating. That's my fault, and I will try to do better, but it really does proceed from a desire to show that the perceptions you express are not compatible with what Jesus revealed about the nature of God.
They do not engage in the kind of introspection that would enable them to see what we are trying to communicate, nate. That is why our efforts are largely targeted toward the lurkers with open minds. They do NOT see that telling anyone that they are an abomination is beyond hurtful and not remotely loving no matter why they THINK it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yes, it does matter where the information comes from . And the motivation that is expressed in what they post exposes the true heart of that individual.
I know you will NOT see how this applies to YOU, Cyber, but there is no loving way to tell someone they are an abomination, period!!! So when you do it, you are NOT being loving.
Quote:
And that is what the Holy Spirit does in the life of the ppl of God, exposing truth from error giving the gift of discernment that they may know who is really living and coming in the name of God with His will and truth.
And when you have a ppl who are constantly fault finding, name calling, blaming, making vicious accusations, bearing false witness about and toward the Church and the Christian or even their neigbor is lacking what they claim, love and it proves that the presence of the Holy Spirit is not there within their lives !
You can NOT discern what the Holy Spirit of agape love is revealing if you do NOT know what the characteristics of the Spirit ARE. We have asked many times for a description of the characteristics of the Spirit you claim to be following and none of you seem capable of describing it, so HOW can you possibly be following it?

Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They do not engage in the kind of introspection that would enable them to see what we are trying to communicate, nate. That is why our efforts are largely targeted toward the lurkers with open minds. They do NOT see that telling anyone that they are an abomination is beyond hurtful and not remotely loving no matter why they THINK it.
I know you will NOT see how this applies to YOU, Cyber, but there is no loving way to tell someone they are an abomination, period!!! So when you do it, you are NOT being loving. You can NOT discern what the Holy Spirit of agape love is revealing if you do NOT know what the characteristics of the Spirit ARE. We have asked many times for a description of the characteristics of the Spirit you claim to be following and none of you seem capable of describing it, so HOW can you possibly be following it?
If they did according to scripture, they would have to give up the characteristics of God they've been taught by those who who don't know too.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 PM

20,474 posts, read 12,870,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If they did according to scripture, they would have to give up the characteristics of God they've been taught by those who who don't know too.
Can't you just feel the agape love?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 PM

64,097 posts, read 40,395,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not doing anything., except telling you that you are barking at the wrong tree Your beef is with the Bible, not me. You unwittingly proved my point by implying that you'll accuse anyone of self-righteousness if they quote the Bible.
That ol' book is really tormenting you, isn't it? And it is not being USED to torment you, it's mere existence torments you. After all, you brought up a verse to complain about. No one threw it at you, you presented it.
The beef is not with the Bible, Finn. It is with the blind, unthinking acceptance of everything in it without testing the Spirit that is a problem. It corrupts the understanding of God under the veil of ignorance over reading the OT. So, no, the book is not bothering anyone, those who blindly and unthinkingly accept everything in it are the real problem in the world.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Can't you just feel the agape love?
Jimmie, what are the characteristics of God according to the scriptures ?. Why are you and all other bible fundamentalists unwilling to answer this ? Because you know what the scriptures says does not support your beliefs. This is what Jesus meant when he said men love darkness over light.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:55 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,335,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But that does not change what is clearly written. That is known.

Some may interpret it to judge, insult, etc another, but that is their problem. Those who ignore scripture, clear scripture, about not hating, judging etc, do not represent what the Bible says, but many use them to ignore clear scripture and ... the two are not connected.

ANY sex outside a Biblical marriage is wrong. Simple. Not judging an individual, no insulting an individual, just seeing what God has said to man. Some don't like that, but so what?
It does not change what is written? Interpretation is EVERYTHING--

How does the evangelical interpret this passage--

Numbers 5:11-31

New International Version (NIV)

The Test for an Unfaithful Wife
11 Then the Lord said to Moses,
12 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him
13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act),
14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure—
15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah[a] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.

16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord.
17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water.
18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse.
19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you.
20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”—
21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse[b] among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.
22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

“‘Then the woman is to say, “Amen. So be it.”

Is this not a recipe for performing an abortion?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:28 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,724,945 times
Quote:
How do you know just what and how a Christian may witness to those who live a life of homosexuality ? You are so wrong in falsely accusing ppl how you think they would share truth, it certainly wouldn't be like you in what they say to another, Mystic .
That is your projection of what you would do by calling them a abomination cause your constantly saying it and calling them that already .

Quote:
I know you will NOT see how this applies to YOU, Cyber, but there is no loving way to tell someone they are an abomination, period!!! So when you do it, you are NOT being loving.
Oh, but you are so wrong in how to witness to someone who needs to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ . You are so stuck on the word abomination it's pathetic . Get over it ! There are many ways to share God's truth with ppl without being so unloving, not caring about their emotional well-being. Yet by reading your post and how awful you speak to ppl you wouldn't understand that, period !

Ain't no love in your words

It doesn't matter what kind of life ppl are living if they're living a life of sin and unbelief by rejecting the gospel of Jesus Christ they will die in their sins and be eternally separated from God, period !

Quote:
You can NOT discern what the Holy Spirit of agape love is revealing if you do NOT know what the characteristics of the Spirit ARE. We have asked many times for a description of the characteristics of the Spirit you claim to be following and none of you seem capable of describing it, so HOW can you possibly be following it?
First of all, lets get this out of the way, the Holy Spirit is not a "it" He is a person !

And because of Him I can discern and am very capable in describing Him as I know Him very well . But I wouldn't share with you anything of my relationship with Him and especially how He reveals things to me .

Lets put it this way, Jesus said not to cast our pearls, so that you can turn and tear us to pieces . And that is so true cause it happens all the time ! And we know just exactly what kind of responds we receive from you and other's .
Besides if you really knew Him you would not be asking us or me such a question .

Been here in this forum way to long that many of us have you and the rest figured out in how you are and that is why no one well tell any of you about our experience with the Holy Spirit . Besides you wouldn't agree with any thing we say as that is the way it always happens . So why go there in the first place

Maybe, possibly one day if you repent you'll know what we know and are talking about

Old 08-12-2016, 07:49 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,079,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
How do you know just what and how a Christian may witness to those who live a life of homosexuality ? You are so wrong in falsely accusing ppl how you think they would share truth, it certainly wouldn't be like you in what they say to another, Mystic .
That is your projection of what you would do by calling them a abomination cause your constantly saying it and calling them that already .

Oh, but you are so wrong in how to witness to someone who needs to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ . You are so stuck on the word abomination it's pathetic . Get over it ! There are many ways to share God's truth with ppl without being so unloving, not caring about their emotional well-being. Yet by reading your post and how awful you speak to ppl you wouldn't understand that, period !

Ain't no love in your words

It doesn't matter what kind of life ppl are living if they're living a life of sin and unbelief by rejecting the gospel of Jesus Christ they will die in their sins and be eternally separated from God, period !

First of all, lets get this out of the way, the Holy Spirit is not a "it" He is a person !

And because of Him I can discern and am very capable in describing Him as I know Him very well . But I wouldn't share with you anything of my relationship with Him and especially how He reveals things to me .

Lets put it this way, Jesus said not to cast our pearls, so that you can turn and tear us to pieces . And that is so true cause it happens all the time ! And we know just exactly what kind of responds we receive from you and other's .
Besides if you really knew Him you would not be asking us or me such a question .

Been here in this forum way to long that many of us have you and the rest figured out in how you are and that is why no one well tell any of you about our experience with the Holy Spirit . Besides you wouldn't agree with any thing we say as that is the way it always happens . So why go there in the first place

Maybe, possibly one day if you repent you'll know what we know and are talking about

Too soon, ect......Peace

Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,538,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Jimmie, what are the characteristics of God according to the scriptures ?. Why are you and all other bible fundamentalists unwilling to answer this ? Because you know what the scriptures says does not support your beliefs. This is what Jesus meant when he said men love darkness over light.
Maybe it has nothing to do what your misguided narrative ending results....
Because you know what the scriptures says does not support your beliefs.
... or more than likely it has more to do with this characteristic of God when Jesus said: "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity