Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,805 times

Advertisements

The clear answer in the age of grace is no......there is no water in the baptism mentioned in Pauls writings.

Col_2:12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:01 PM

33,256 posts, read 26,470,212 times
No. You don't need water baptism to be eternally saved. Eternal salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ Jesus alone. Water baptism is simply a teaching aid which illustrates what occurs at the moment of salvation when the believer is placed into union with Jesus by means of the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,787,277 times
One must drink the water of the son of man to possess eternal life.

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty the water I give him shall be like a well inside him springing up to provide eternal life.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:39 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,054,369 times
when once the long-suffering of God did wait, in days of Noah -- an ark being preparing -- in which few, that is, eight souls, were preserved through water;
The antitype of which (ie. a spiritual ark) also now saves us -- immersing not flesh yet putting away filth.
Granting a clear conscience unto God through the rising again of Jesus Christ.

In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying,
If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water (amrita).
But this spake he of that spirit which they that believe on him were about to receive (at that feast)
(This has to be a reference to spiritual water not to the Holy Spirit)
for the Holy Spirit was not yet given; because that Jesus (more than one Jesus?) was not yet glorified.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160428022544

Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Jesus said ``Very Truly , I say to you , unless one is born of water and the Spirit , he cannot enter the kingdom of God ``.... John 3:5-6 ....See born of water is water baptism by repentance and love ......................Jesus said ... `Very truly I say to you that the tax collectors and the harlots will enter the kingdom of God before you ...For John the Baptist came to you in the way of righteousness , and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and harlots believed him , and when you saw , you did not afterward repent and believe him ``....Matthew 21:31-33....................In Acts 8 :26-40 ...Then Philip the Evangelist opened his mouth and beginning at the scripture , preached Jesus to him .....Now as they went down the road , they came to some water. and the eunuch said `See here is water , What hinders me from being baptized ? ...............Then Philip said ..``If you with all your heart you may ``.......and he answered ...............``I believe that Jesus is the Son of God `` ..............And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water , and he baptized him , and he went on his way rejoicing ....................See here is believers being water baptized after the cross of Christ and after Pentecost, and during the age of grace

Old 05-08-2016, 04:13 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The clear answer in the age of grace is no......there is no water in the baptism mentioned in Pauls writings.

Col_2:12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.
That is correct. The nations, under grace, do not need water baptism. However, the Jews, under Peter were required to repent, be baptized and believe on the Lord Jesus.

The nations are given faith to be believing God that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day and upon believing are sealed with the spirit of promise for the day of deliverance. Such a one is immediately justified, saved, righteous. Water can't do that.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus said ``Very Truly , I say to you , unless one is born of water and the Spirit , he cannot enter the kingdom of God ``.... John 3:5-6 ....See born of water is water baptism by repentance and love ......................Jesus said ... `Very truly I say to you that the tax collectors and the harlots will enter the kingdom of God before you ...For John the Baptist came to you in the way of righteousness , and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and harlots believed him , and when you saw , you did not afterward repent and believe him ``....Matthew 21:31-33....................In Acts 8 :26-40 ...Then Philip the Evangelist opened his mouth and beginning at the scripture , preached Jesus to him .....Now as they went down the road , they came to some water. and the eunuch said `See here is water , What hinders me from being baptized ? ...............Then Philip said ..``If you with all your heart you may ``.......and he answered ...............``I believe that Jesus is the Son of God `` ..............And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water , and he baptized him , and he went on his way rejoicing ....................See here is believers being water baptized after the cross of Christ and after Pentecost, and during the age of grace
Those were Israelites and those who were Judaized to the Israelite religion. See 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and see if you can spot the world "baptism" or "baptized" or "Baptize" in there. Look really really hard.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,787,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Being born of water and spirit is not water baptism.

What did Jesus say spirit is ?

The word spirit after the word water in the verse about being born of water and spirit is simply defining the water. When you know what spirit is then you know what the water is.

"Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty the water I give him shall be like a well inside him springing up to provide eternal life."

Those who walk in the light and do what is right possess eternal water and everlasting life.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:

To me, it gets down to what you mean by the word "saved." You don't need water baptism or anything else to avoid some kind of a fiery eternal punishment. So, if you're willing to settle for "justification," the answer is "no." If you are looking for more -- i.e. "sanctification" -- the answer would be "yes."

Regardless of what Paul may have said, Jesus Christ said water baptism is necessary.

Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:5)

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. (Acts 1:5)

There is no logical reason for anyone to argue that water baptism is required, perhaps not for "salvation/justification" but for "sanctification/exaltation." Baptism of the Spirit/Holy Ghost does not replace water baptism. It never has and never will.

Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM

910 posts, read 1,338,870 times
Quote:

OP,

It seems to me that like some posters here, you are confused over the Pauline gospels. In case of any doubt, simply go to the synoptic gospels to clear your doubt.

If Baptism by water was not necessary, why did Christ himself do it? You think he lined up for baptism for fun? Why did Paul get baptized?

Mark 16:16, he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved.

Do you believe Christ? If you do, know that baptism is the most important thing you need to do to inherit life eternal or to be saved.

Significance of water Baptism

When you are dipped in water, you die with Him. When you are raised from water, you have resurrected with him. As such, the second death cannot have a hold on you. You must reincarnate to new life. Christ was not held down by the second death after his baptism.

However, there is a caveat. The person doing the baptism on you must have the Holy spirit, so that when you are out of the water, he can pray the Father to also give you the gift of the Holy Spirit. Most folks have not been truly baptized. They were just dipped in water.

If you do baptism the right way, the person baptized will note immediate difference in their life, especially with the gift of the Holy Spirit. Note that the Holy Spirit is a silent operator, not noisy like the spirits of the air abounding plentifully in the churches.

Peace of God, the Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity