Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:19 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am astounded that you and so many others do NOT think it is barbaric. In what way could the slaughter of innocents EVER appease a God who Jesus tells us IS agape love??? For what reason would it EVER be seen as a necessary practice to be forgiven by a God who IS love??? What insane logic is there in slaughtering an innocent animal (or human being) to appease a God who IS love??? In what sane universe would this EVER NOT be barbaric???
I'll be honest... I would not take to it because I wasn't exposed to it. Some people are exposed to it and it's not a big deal. What's barbaric to you may not be barbaric to someone else. And apparently to God, He doesn't have a problem with it.

Romans 6:23a - For the wages of sin is death

That's God's value system. Death is required to pay for sin.

You are not the only one to have a problem with God and His ways...

John 6:53-61
53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever." 59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?

How did the people who claimed to believe, but really did not, respond?

John 6:66 - As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

How did true believers respond?

John 6:67-69 - So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" 68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."

People who have faith in God and Jesus Christ understand that His ways may not be our ways - yet we trust in Him. This has been my whole point in this thread. It is about faith in God and Jesus Christ.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-12-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
PRIDE: before the fal
I'm hoping an inteligent and introspective poster will get off the high horse before any falls.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
and you insert the words 'agape love' in there somewhere as it those words were somehow compatible with what you say. They are not.
Why not? If you are in the path of a train should anyone who sees it not warn you? Have I not heard that before? What if a wake-up call is needed?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'll be honest... I would not take to it because I wasn't exposed to it. Some people are exposed to it and it's not a big deal. What's barbaric to you may not be barbaric to someone else. And apparently to God, He doesn't have a problem with it.

53 So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves. 54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 "For My flesh is true food, and My blood is true drink. 56 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. 57 "As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also will live because of Me. 58 "This is the bread which came down out of heaven; not as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live forever." 59 These things He said in the synagogue as He taught in Capernaum.

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this said, "This is a difficult statement; who can listen to it?" 61 But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?

John 6:66 - As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

John 6:67-69 - So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" 68 Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. 69 "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God."

People who have faith in God and Jesus Christ understand that His ways may not be our ways - yet we trust in Him. This has been my whole point in this thread. It is about faith in God and Jesus Christ.
A good exposition, DRob4JC, but there are two things you should consider: "the wages of sin" are not a punishment meted out by an angry God, but the consequences of selfish, thoughtless actions that are bad for the person in the long run, and Jesus spoke in a metaphor that was shocking to his audience, quite possibly expecting a lot to reject the surface meaning without giving thought to the spiritual or metaphoric meaning. Agreed that the disciples who stayed didn't understand either, but He was not actually requiring a barbaric practice. Let's hope that our requirements are understand able and not barbaric whether God's ways are hidden at times or not.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why not? If you are in the path of a train should anyone who sees it not warn you? Have I not heard that before? What if a wake-up call is needed?
If the train is agape love, why would you need to warn anyone?

As for me, I already heard the call, and answered it. I am on the palm of God's hand, and I am staying despite of all your efforts to tell its a bad place to be.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:

Amen !
Your last paragraph is so true, amen !

"yet we trust in Him," "It is about faith in God and Jesus Christ " Amen, and because of that faith we know it will always be better to be hated for telling the truth then loved for telling a lie.

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. Col. 2:8

And that is exactly what is being presented, "human tradition and basic principles of this world rather than on Christ," amen !

Putting our trust in God and depending on his intrinsic goodness frees us from the need to find explanations for everything. (Retief, Frank)

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen !
Your last paragraph is so true, amen !

"yet we trust in Him," "It is about faith in God and Jesus Christ " Amen, and because of that faith we know it will always be better to be hated for telling the truth then loved for telling a lie.

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. Col. 2:8

And that is exactly what is being presented, "human tradition and basic principles of this world rather than on Christ," amen !

Putting our trust in God and depending on his intrinsic goodness frees us from the need to find explanations for everything. (Retief, Frank)
Thanks - you are a blessing.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
As I questioned in the other thread, why is this perceived as only possible through the Christian God. Do not other individuals in other religions and non-religions treat others with love and decency?

You mean like the religion of peace?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A good exposition, DRob4JC, but there are two things you should consider: "the wages of sin" are not a punishment meted out by an angry God, but the consequences of selfish, thoughtless actions that are bad for the person in the long run, and Jesus spoke in a metaphor that was shocking to his audience, quite possibly expecting a lot to reject the surface meaning without giving thought to the spiritual or metaphoric meaning. Agreed that the disciples who stayed didn't understand either, but He was not actually requiring a barbaric practice. Let's hope that our requirements are understand able and not barbaric whether God's ways are hidden at times or not.
Wages are not usually given as punishment, but what is due. Not sure emotion of anger is always involved here. Consequences are also part of the deal.

Jesus spoke symbolically. He was performing the "practice" Himself. We take communion to symbolize His death... we are partaking (eating) of His body and blood on the cross. Those are His terms.

Matthew 26:26-28 - While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." 27 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 - For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; 24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 25 In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Jesus spoke symbolically. He was performing the "practice" Himself. We take communion to symbolize His death... we are partaking (eating) of His body and blood on the cross. Those are His terms.
That is just a ceremony. IMO Jesus was talking about the idea that He embodies "The Way" and participating in that Way is symbolized in His statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity