Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your meaning is plain, and I have read hundreds of other posts from you describing Christian beliefs in the sacrifice of Jesus as barbaric (or insane), and you keep parroting about ignorant and superstitious authors of the Bible.

If the authors of the Bible were indeed ignorant and superstitious, then the text itself would also be such, and so would anyone who believes it. Don't play the game where you say things, and then pretend you didn't say it.

All you ever talk about is the the barbaric / insane beliefs of Christians and ignorant authors of the Bible, and you insert the words 'agape love' in there somewhere as it those words were somehow compatible with what you say. They are not.
Here's a couple good ones for ya, Finn ! These kind of statements are all over this forum . You really don't have to look very hard to find them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen!! The exclusive club believers are truly tiresome and annoyingly ignorant of the TRUE NATURE of God as revealed by Jesus.It is sad, very, very sad.
Quote:
A Christian who owns up to the OT is NOT following Christ. Christ came BECAUSE the OT verses you talk about failed and were wrongly interpreted and misunderstood. They blasphemed God with their barbaric and savage misunderstandings. Christ came to reveal the TRUE NATURE of God, NOT reinforce or validate the OT ignorance, barbarity, and superstitions about God in the OT.
Quote:
They consider faith to be their belief in specific things ABOUT God and Jesus, Jer. This is the easy believism doctrine. They completely miss the point that they are supposed to have faith that Jesus DID what He said He DID and actually saved the world from eternal separation from God. They think they need to do something to be saved and they think that something is to believe the right things ABOUT God and Jesus. It is sad and would be harmless if it wasn't so dangerous to their spiritual development and maturity in agape love. They put the ACTUAL instructions of Jesus to His disciples to love God and each other on the back burner as if they are something it would be nice to happen but not critical like their beliefs about God and Jesus.
Falsely accusing, bearing false witness, and especially the constant belittling other's faith, character, etc., well now, that surely is not a loving thing to do especially coming from someone who says they follow and depend upon God's agape love !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Here's a couple good ones for ya, Finn ! These kind of statements are all over this forum . You really don't have to look very hard to find them !

Falsely accusing, bearing false witness, and especially the constant belittling other's faith, character, etc., well now, that surely is not a loving thing to do especially coming from someone who says they follow and depend upon God's agape love !
He has flooded the forum with such comments for years, so its strange he'd deny it. Well, not strange since he has a long history of saying something, and then pretending he never said it.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He has flooded the forum with such comments for years, so its strange he'd deny it. Well, not strange since he has a long history of saying something, and then pretending he never said it.
After I posted that I started thinking about his age and how it may have a lot to do with his forgetting. Forgetting, short memory, lost of memory and even some other dreadful, horrible things happens to our minds as we grow much older !

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but it does happen too a lot of us seniors as time goes on our mind begins to fail us greatly !

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
After I posted that I started thinking about his age and how it may have a lot to do with his forgetting. Forgetting, short memory, lost of memory and even some other dreadful, horrible things happens to our minds as we grow much older !

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but it does happen too a lot of us seniors as time goes on our mind begins to fail us greatly !
True. It could be age-related.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:47 PM

595 posts, read 331,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Would you sacrifice your virgin (innocent) daughter on top of a volcano to keep it from erupting?
No, but clearly some people in the past have done this or something similar. I would not do this any more than I would do a LOT of the things people have done in human history.

However, there seems to be some disagreement about what a God of love would do about these things.
1. Sit on his high horse in judgment and have nothing to do with such people.
2. Meet them halfway by asking them to reform their practices to something halfway decent.
The self-righteous cannot imagine a God who would take the practical approach of compromise and incremental improvement. Indeed for them everything is so black and white, either you agree with them completely or they lump you with everyone else who is barbaric and ignorant. Frankly I find THIS attitude to be barbaric and ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I tried.
It is amazing how people don't even get off their high horse and they call that trying.

I do not say that you have never made any effort. There have indeed been times when you have. But not this time.

I demonstrated my understanding of the "libbies" perspective by defending their position. I am the opposite of hostile. But they demonstrate that they are unable to look at things any way outside of their narrow agenda to appreciate a wider spectrum of Christian thought and experience. And when I respond to their hostility in kind they reveal the hypocrisy which the other Christians here have already been complaining about. Now I have to agree with them.

But am I on their side? The suggestion is laughable. But the self-righteous tend to make a wide kill zone between themselves and others in their habitual battle mentality.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM

595 posts, read 331,755 times
Quote:
One way of summing up the gospel of Jesus Christ is to say that all the religions which promise, that if you do the right things then you will be on the side of God and He will take care of you, are all a lie and a cheat. What really matters is changing who you are in your very heart and soul to embrace love and decency to your fellow human beings. And while this is generally impossible for us to do by ourselves, God can if we seek His help.
"Do the right things" INCLUDE saying "God is love" all day long, denying God could ever be terrifying or give reason to anyone to fear him, and ridiculing the vast majority of the Bible and Christianity as nothing but ignorant and barbaric.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:14 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
"Do the right things" INCLUDE saying "God is love" all day long, denying God could ever be terrifying or give reason to anyone to fear him, and ridiculing the vast majority of the Bible and Christianity as nothing but ignorant and barbaric.
Did ANY of us say "anyone?" or were we saying that someone who comes into a loving relationship with God has nothing to fear? What were YOU saying about that?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
You can only relate God to your own experience. If your God is one that should be greatly feared, fair enough carry on, but if God is to you all that is love,life, peace,beauty and harmony(which the bible depicts him to be) then I'd have no problem opening up myself to that latter because none of those things can harm me, but only cause the communication of my faith to be effective as I acknowledge them.

Philemon 1:6 let the communication of your faith become effective by every good thing which is in which is in Christ Jeus.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:55 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You can only relate God to your own experience. If your God is one that should be greatly feared, fair enough carry on, but if God is to you all that is love,life, peace,beauty and harmony(which the bible depicts him to be) then I'd have no problem opening up myself to that latter because none of those things can harm me, but only cause the communication of my faith to be effective as I acknowledge them.
Well - you have one problem. The entirety of your post is false. Well maybe 90%.

Maybe you can relate God to your experience... you can't make God into what you want Him to be based on your experience.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well - you have one problem. The entirety of your post is false. Well maybe 90%.

Maybe you can relate God to your experience... you can't make God into what you want Him to be based on your experience.
You mean unless he's a bible God he ain't no God ?.

I repeat the communication of our faith becomes effective BY the ACKNOWLEDGING of every good thing that is in us that is in Christ Jesus. If your are acknowledging a God of fear or one to be feared , or maybe a God of appeasement, you are communicating it whether you like it or not, that is your message too, if that's your simple message of Christ you can keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity