Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, let me make it clear who I am NOT talking about: There are "street ministry" teams in my area that go around starting conversations with people and praying with them if they agree who are very awesome people (even if I disagree with them personally) There are also those who have Bibles and literature and just sit back and wait for people to talk to them and maybe have some signs behind them like "who was Jesus really?" or something. They are good people too, and most Christians would have no issue with that sort of thing.

What I am referring to is those people with bullhorns and outrageous signs condemning everyone to hell who scream at passers by and generally seem to have a gripe about everything. And no matter what, that little "Christian love" thing they are suppose to believe in never manifests.

What do you think about these people? And no, not just the Westboro Baptist Church, but all the crazies who stand on busy corners, college campuses or any major event (comic-con, political conventions etc) and yell about everything from "gays are poisonous dung-eaters" to "you cultured swine will rot in hell!" (no bible verse needed to back it up, because "the spirit" told him so )

Do you think they are mentally deranged, foolish, or do you think they actually believe they are "doing the lord's work"?

Sorry, but I fail to see what is so Christ-like about someone like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkNQDOPjcdU
I think of them the same way I think of the Hare Krishna groups with their shaved heads and saffron colored robes that use to turn up at airports. Harmless eccentric chanting nut bags. And at least the Hare Krishna's weren't armed with bull horns to make themselves REALLY annoying. Non believers love these sort of displays because they make believers look like total fools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:59 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And yet those who say they are following the Holy Spirit and kill others as the carry out God's will you disown?

Either they all are following the Holy Spirit or NONE are..YOU do not get to judge and proclaim who is and who is NOT doing God's will...
The Holy Spirit leads no one to sin against God. I do not need to be a judge to make that statement.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:04 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I agree, I have heard of people that came to true faith through Jehovas Witnesses false Gospel.. but the fact that God can use it, doesn't make the JW's right.. same goes for this guy imo.

I saw the comparison made, but I don't agree this is like Peter in Acts.. Peter accused the Jews of a crime they actually committed (murdering Christ Acts 2:23) and most importantly, his emphasis was on Jesus Christ. So they would repent and believe. And the Lord used his preaching to save 3000 souls that day. [/i]
Peter preached more than one sermon that was recorded in the book of Acts. The style of those sermons were of a spur of the moment speech on the street.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Okay, let me make it clear who I am NOT talking about: There are "street ministry" teams in my area that go around starting conversations with people and praying with them if they agree who are very awesome people (even if I disagree with them personally) There are also those who have Bibles and literature and just sit back and wait for people to talk to them and maybe have some signs behind them like "who was Jesus really?" or something. They are good people too, and most Christians would have no issue with that sort of thing.

What I am referring to is those people with bullhorns and outrageous signs condemning everyone to hell who scream at passers by and generally seem to have a gripe about everything. And no matter what, that little "Christian love" thing they are suppose to believe in never manifests.

What do you think about these people? And no, not just the Westboro Baptist Church, but all the crazies who stand on busy corners, college campuses or any major event (comic-con, political conventions etc) and yell about everything from "gays are poisonous dung-eaters" to "you cultured swine will rot in hell!" (no bible verse needed to back it up, because "the spirit" told him so )

Do you think they are mentally deranged, foolish, or do you think they actually believe they are "doing the lord's work"?

Sorry, but I fail to see what is so Christ-like about someone like this:
I have seen good street preachers (Ray Comfort, Tony Miano, those guys), and I've seen the loony, nutty kind that just scream insults. The Ray Comfort crowd actually engages with people and has discussions -- they don't just scream at people.

I'm not impressed with a "preacher" that has no coherent message.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I've seen Ray Comfort preach in Huntington Beach, CA. He's there regularly. He stands at the foot of a fishing pier in an upscale area. There's a Starbucks in case he wants to sip a delicious caramel macchiato while he's talking. Plenty of trendy places he can grab a bite to eat and enjoy the atmosphere. Huntington Beach, (AKA Surf City USA) is 20 minutes from Compton (AKA the 'hood), which has plenty of places for public preaching, but he chooses to spend his time at a VERY nice beach full of beautiful California beach girls in bikinis. Dude found himself one heck of a sweet, easy gig.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've seen Ray Comfort preach in Huntington Beach, CA. He's there regularly. He stands at the foot of a fishing pier in an upscale area. There's a Starbucks in case he wants to sip a delicious caramel macchiato while he's talking. Plenty of trendy places he can grab a bite to eat and enjoy the atmosphere. Huntington Beach, (AKA Surf City USA) is 20 minutes from Compton (AKA the 'hood), which has plenty of places for public preaching, but he chooses to spend his time at a VERY nice beach full of beautiful California beach girls in bikinis. Dude found himself one heck of a sweet, easy gig.
Do you think he gets paid for it?

What's sweet about it? Is he less of a man because he picks a pleasant place to do it? I give him credit for having the guts to do it. Most Christians never share their faith publicly, much less stand up and preach publicly -- even in a sweet gig like his.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do you think he gets paid for it?

What's sweet about it? Is he less of a man because he picks a pleasant place to do it? I give him credit for having the guts to do it. Most Christians never share their faith publicly, much less stand up and preach publicly -- even in a sweet gig like his.
Actually.... So Cal is full to the brim of preachers, and regular people, who share their faith publicly. People in Podunk and flyover country have a very distorted view of So Cal and its faith community. It's a vocal, active Bible Belt with great weather.

Comfort chooses to preach at the beach. What a sacrifice! Hopefully he uses sun screen.

Meanwhile, in the poor areas of So Cal that Comfort avoids so he can be at the beach, there are ministers and lay people LIVING the gospel while they work to help gang- bangers, drug addicts, immigrants, and the poor. The people Jesus loved and hung out with.

They're doing that while Comfort films himself for Youtube. If you want to defend him....knock yourself out. I'm sure he'd be pleased to know you think he has "guts" for preaching in a nice, safe, trendy spot on the beach.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:17 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, So Cal is full to the brim of preachers, and regular people, who share their faith publicly. People in Podunk and flyover country have a very distorted view of So Cal and its faith community. It's a vocal, active Bible Belt with great weather.

Comfort chooses to preach at the beach. What a sacrifice! Hopefully he uses sun screen.

Meanwhile, in the poor areas of So Cal that Comfort avoids so he can be at the beach, there are ministers and lay people LIVING the gospel while they work to help gang- bangers, drug addicts, immigrants, and the poor. The people Jesus loved and hung out with.

While Comfort films himself for Youtube.
Are you going to compton to preach to gang members? The Lord has different callings for different people, remember, the Church is one Body with many members.. the hand can't say to the foot I don't need you.. etc.

Don't know why you are hating on ray comfort, as far as I know he has reached millions of people with the Gospel and he has the guts to stand up for his faith unwaveringly.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Holy Spirit leads no one to sin against God. I do not need to be a judge to make that statement.
Who are you to say not? when someone claims they were doing god's will by killing (much like in the OT) who are we to say they were not?

It seems when someone does something you agree with, it is GOD'S WILL, and when they do something you disagree with they ARE SATAN'S SPAWN...

Exactly like all the people you hate are the same one's your god hates...
My, ain't that convenient.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:42 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Are you going to compton to preach to gang members? The Lord has different callings for different people, remember, the Church is one Body with many members.. the hand can't say to the foot I don't need you.. etc.

Don't know why you are hating on ray comfort, as far as I know he has reached millions of people with the Gospel and he has the guts to stand up for his faith unwaveringly.
Amen !

Even those beautiful California beach girls in bikinis need to hear the gospel cause the Lord loves them too ! Jesus doesn't just love the down and out ppl, or gang members, etc., all need to hear and shown His love for them !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity