Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 02:36 PM

15,898 posts, read 6,368,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it does NOT "require someone to stay inside themselves," It requires them to consider what that person really needs just as if they WERE that person. THAT does not even mean treating a person as they WANT to be treated, but as they NEED to be treated. THAT'S what I mean about failure of application.
But you are not that person so how do you know what they need? What do I need Nate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
QED! The golden rule is NOT analogous to agape love.
You make the same mistake so many others do, L8. Characterizing ACTS and ATTITUDES is NOT the same as calling people anything. Warden is simply acknowledging our human failings and how difficult it is to love God and each other every day. You are wrong, it is NOT easy to love God since you can NOT love God if you do NOT love your fellow human beings (some/many of whom are decidedly unlovable if not downright evil). All we can do is try and repent when we fail.
Well yeah you are going to say that because you do it too.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:12 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Yes, Warden, that is what God wants from us as well and it IS work. Agape is not easy.
Perceptive as always, Pleroo. I believe the apparent disagreements are a result of NOT understanding what agape IS and why our human nature is frequently opposed to it.
This is incorrect. Agape means no judgment. That is God's job. Of course, our need to survive and interact within a society does impose the need for practical judgments and those are being confused with spiritual judgments here.
If I had to guess, it would be the "precepts and doctrines of men," Pleroo.
QED! The golden rule is NOT analogous to agape love.
You make the same mistake so many others do, L8. Characterizing ACTS and ATTITUDES is NOT the same as calling people anything. Warden is simply acknowledging our human failings and how difficult it is to love God and each other every day. You are wrong, it is NOT easy to love God since you can NOT love God if you do NOT love your fellow human beings (some/many of whom are decidedly unlovable if not downright evil). All we can do is try and repent when we fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Well yeah you are going to say that because you do it too.
Are you seriously suggesting that the acts and attitudes of people should NOT be judged no matter what their content??? You can insist that people not be judged, but their acts and attitudes produce consequences that CAN be judged. Don't pretend to take your idealism too far, L8, just because you came from a benighted cult.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that the acts and attitudes of people should NOT be judged no matter what their content??? You can insist that people not be judged, but their acts and attitudes produce consequences that CAN be judged. Don't pretend to take your idealism too far, L8, just because you came from a benighted cult.
Well, you made me look up benighted dink. I do believe early on in this conversation I said that someone should not be judged for their opinions. I call religious beliefs opinions and I realize some give their beliefs greater prominence. Since we are online that's pretty much all we have to go on when interacting with someone. Then we got into judging people on things like weight and auto immune disorders.

I think when someone calls someone else a liar or arrogant then that person is not exhibiting compassion. And after calling a person a liar they accuse that person of ad hominem. At that point it becomes hilarious.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well, you made me look up benighted dink. I do believe early on in this conversation I said that someone should not be judged for their opinions. I call religious beliefs opinions and I realize some give their beliefs greater prominence. Since we are online that's pretty much all we have to go on when interacting with someone. Then we got into judging people on things like weight and auto immune disorders.
I think when someone calls someone else a liar or arrogant then that person is not exhibiting compassion. And after calling a person a liar they accuse that person of ad hominem. At that point it becomes hilarious.
Since everything we post is viewable, what would you say to someone who lied about what you had posted and it could be checked and found to be a lie????

Old 09-18-2016, 05:08 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,642,777 times
perspective will intervene there, however

Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:
But you are not that person so how do you know what they need? What do I need Nate?
The only thing I see that you need is to stop looking at the surface of a position with a jaundiced eye and consider ALL the ramifications. Part of "doing unto others" is investing in them enough to find out how you can help.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times
Quote:

We claim to be concerned with the TOTAL well-being of the person we are engaged with. When they clearly have lied, or at best misrepresented what we have said, is it in their best interest to just let it go? How do you point out a glaring fault without the possibility of someone taking offense when we all have a tendency to take offense when we get caught".... it's a common defense mechanism and something that should also be shown in that mirror we hold up.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The only thing I see that you need is to stop looking at the surface of a position with a jaundiced eye and consider ALL the ramifications. Part of "doing unto others" is investing in them enough to find out how you can help.
You will have to explain what you mean by that. I don't know what you are referring to as jaundice eye. that list is pretty short considering i am an apostate so that's cool.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:45 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
We claim to be concerned with the TOTAL well-being of the person we are engaged with. When they clearly have lied, or at best misrepresented what we have said, is it in their best interest to just let it go? How do you point out a glaring fault without the possibility of someone taking offense when we all have a tendency to take offense when we get caught".... it's a common defense mechanism and something that should also be shown in that mirror we hold up.
I don't know about it being in their best interest to let it go. But I do think it is much more difficult to let a defense mechanism down if one feels threatened, and has not built up any trust with the person who is calling one out on their lies. If, for instance, you called ME out about something, it would be easier for me to receive than if it was coming from someone who has not demonstrated any interest in getting to know me or where I'm coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity