Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How do these characteristics NOT partake of or participate in the kind of love God is described as BEing?
I call it "dark god".

Like we see G-lensing, we can loosely associate a living biosphere as having at least some human motion. That's not a prediction that would fall under "naked speculation". Definitely a claim that's is uncertain, at best. but testable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:31 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Exodus 34:6-7 - Then the LORD passed by in front of him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in lovingkindness and truth; 7 who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."

Leviticus 11:45 - For I am the LORD who brought you up from the land of Egypt to be your God; thus you shall be holy, for I am holy.

Numbers 23:19 - God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent; Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

Deuteronomy 4:39 - Know therefore today, and take it to your heart, that the LORD, He is God in heaven above and on the earth below; there is no other.

Psalm 33:4-5 - For the word of the LORD is upright, And all His work is done in faithfulness. 5 He loves righteousness and justice; The earth is full of the lovingkindness of the LORD.

Psalm 116:5 - Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; Yes, our God is compassionate.

Isaiah 40:28 - Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth Does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable.

John 4:24 - God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.

1 Timothy 6:15-16 - He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see.

Hebrews 6:18 - ...it is impossible for God to lie...

1 John 1:5 - This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.

1 John 4:8- The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Revelation 1:8 - I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

The underlined statements are the Lord Himself making the proclamation.
All very appropriate scriptural references for descriptions of the nature of God, but no attempt to answer the question of the OP: How do these characteristics NOT partake of or participate in the kind of love God is described as BEing

Maybe I was not clear, jimmiej gave love, holiness and sovereignty, and Finn_Jarber added righteousness, many people have mentioned justice. What I have seen is that some of these things seem to be interpreted as something not compatible with love, as in justice is seen as vengeance and holy is seen as separate and unapproachable.

Please indicate how your perception of an element of the nature of God either contrasts with or works through the love that God IS.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
All very appropriate scriptural references for descriptions of the nature of God, but no attempt to answer the question of the OP: How do these characteristics NOT partake of or participate in the kind of love God is described as BEing

Maybe I was not clear, jimmiej gave love, holiness and sovereignty, and Finn_Jarber added righteousness, many people have mentioned justice. What I have seen is that some of these things seem to be interpreted as something not compatible with love, as in justice is seen as vengeance and holy is seen as separate and unapproachable.

Please indicate how your perception of an element of the nature of God either contrasts with or works through the love that God IS.
They are all compatible with love, even justice as it is a negative action at times.

Love does not blank out required justice, it makes sure it is not unloving. Unloving to especially the victim Allowing a child molester to live with a child they are molesting would not be love. Removing the molester would show love for the child and if the molester was repentant the action would also be loving of it motivated him to change. If one chooses not to, they have rejected the love. God does not love intentional wrong nor intentional wrong doers who have been given loving assistance to change and won't.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post

There are 2 examples of God love: His creation of man and the death of His Son for man's sins.
Ah yea, gods love.

Hey eusebius, watch this explanation of gods love.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fQTL3c...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They are all compatible with love, even justice as it is a negative action at times.

Love does not blank out required justice, it makes sure it is not unloving. Unloving to especially the victim Allowing a child molester to live with a child they are molesting would not be love. Removing the molester would show love for the child and if the molester was repentant the action would also be loving of it motivated him to change. If one chooses not to, they have rejected the love. God does not love intentional wrong nor intentional wrong doers who have been given loving assistance to change and won't.
I was right with you until the bolded. God's love is not conditional and He knows what bad information drives those people who choose to do things that are actually incompatible with their best interest. I will grant that it will take some quite likely painful reconsideration on the part of those people, but God "loved us while we were yet sinners."

Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I was right with you until the bolded. God's love is not conditional and He knows what bad information drives those people who choose to do things that are actually incompatible with their best interest. I will grant that it will take some quite likely painful reconsideration on the part of those people, but God "loved us while we were yet sinners."
I agree, He loved all of us while we were yet sinners. However a continuation of that love depends on us loving Him in response. Easy for some no, but possible yes, so those who do reject Him by clear choice reject his love. God forces His love on no one as that would not be loving. He created us to respond to it or reject it at our choice.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
Quote:
I agree, He loved all of us while we were yet sinners. However a continuation of that love depends on us loving Him in response. Easy for some no, but possible yes, so those who do reject Him by clear choice reject his love. God forces His love on no one as that would not be loving. He created us to respond to it or reject it at our choice.
Funny how god made us sinners and also created the cure for sinning.

Can't beat that with a stick

Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
THIS is the crux of our disagreement. Continuation of that love depends on our being human, and that is all. I continue to grant that such love is manifested in allowing us our choice, but wrong choices which are ultimately based on bad information about what we need do NOT abrogate that love. They only abrogate the rewards of sharing that love. God is "perfect" in love and when we see it like this, we can come closer to that.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
THIS is the crux of our disagreement. Continuation of that love depends on our being human, and that is all. I continue to grant that such love is manifested in allowing us our choice, but wrong choices which are ultimately based on bad information about what we need do NOT abrogate that love. They only abrogate the rewards of sharing that love.
Bad choices with good information do. God has given us all a choice that is within our ability to make.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Bad choices with good information do. God has given us all a choice that is within our ability to make.
How do we make bad choices with good information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity