Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Um...yes. According to the Bible. Exodus says God hardened his heart...but that was not the first time Pharaoh sinned, nor did he need his heart hardened to sin against God. It's how we are born -- sinners in rebellion to God.
the only thing we are born is ignorant. And certainly "rebellion" is confused with 'needy" or totally "self serving".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:31 PM

384 posts, read 383,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the only thing we are born is ignorant. And certainly "rebellion" is confused with 'needy" or totally "self serving".
So all our decisions are made based on what we have been exposed to and what is part of our DNA. None of which is under our control. No?

Old 10-03-2016, 03:49 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The site you originally quoted from offers a course on kabbalah 101, so I'm assuming the ideas presented on that site are rooted in kabbalist thought. You quote that site to bolster your position, but you don't embrace kabbalist ideas. Okay.

Once again, the motive of your heart is not to LEARN, but to try to discredit the poster in some way.

Kabbalah is from ancient Jewish mysticism. This is a far cry from the professors whose study I showed you an article about. Just because the Jewish site ALSO has some Kabbalah things on it, does not make me a Kabbalah follower anymore than finding the belief in the virgin birth on a Christian site necessarily makes them a Catholic site. The Bible codes are for anyone who wants to use them or see them, and that doesn't mean they endorse or follow Kabbalah, and neither do I.

Again, what you should be focusing on, is there are two important points to consider from this information. One, the idea of free will, and two, the idea that He wrote every word of the Torah and it has survived intact. The stats are off the charts on the finding of 18 old dead Rabbi's names from centuries past, along with their birth dates and the dates of their deaths, all in close proximity to one another in the codes. Since the code is an ELS code based on numbers, this means that if even ONE LETTER was off, the codes would not work, and clearly that is not the case.

If you know how the scribes worked, they would write one page at a time, and if even one small mistake was made, they threw away the whole sheet and even burned it, so zealous they were over the holy writings. They also knew how many letters should be on each line and each page, so they counted them several times when finished.

Thirty one years ago, all it took for me to believe was looking up the names of the people, places and things in there. The idea that it was somehow chance over thousands of years that all these people and places had names that denoted spiritual attributes in relation to what they did in their lives, was simply not possible to a rational mind. Today there is much more information available than ever before, so I'm incredulous that I even have to have the kinds of conversations on this board that I do. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 10-03-2016 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 05:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Once again, the motive of your heart is not to LEARN, but to try to discredit the poster in some way.
Now, why would you assume that? I enjoyed reading and learning about kabbalah, and will continue reading about it as long as it holds my interest.

And, discredit you based on your association to kabbalah? No. As I said, I don't understand what your issue is with acknowledging that association. You obviously share some beliefs with them. What's the big deal? I was surprised because I've read that kabbalah has some connection to the New Age movement (whether or not Kabbalists would agree with that, I don't know) and I know that some biblical inerrantists (which I know that you are) use the term "New Age" as if it's one of the lowest forms of condemnation and do everything to distance themselves from it. So, yeah, at first I was surprised to think you might be one, and I accepted it when you said you were not one. But there is obviously some common ground there. I don't have the issues with New Agers that you perhaps do, though, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Quote:
Kabbalah is from ancient Jewish mysticism. This is a far cry from the professors whose study I showed you an article about. Just because the Jewish site ALSO has some Kabbalah things on it, does not make me a Kabbalah follower anymore than finding the belief in the virgin birth on a Christian site necessarily makes them a Catholic site. The Bible codes are for anyone who wants to use them or see them, and that doesn't mean they endorse or follow Kabbalah, and neither do I.

Again, what you should be focusing on, is there are two important points to consider from this information.
No, please understand that you don't get to determine for me what I "should" be focusing on.

Quote:
One, the idea of free will, and two, the idea that He wrote every word of the Torah and it has survived intact. The stats are off the charts on the finding of 18 old dead Rabbi's names from centuries past, along with their birth dates and the dates of their deaths, all in close proximity to one another in the codes. Since the code is an ELS code based on numbers, this means that if even ONE LETTER was off, the codes would not work, and clearly that is not the case.

If you know how the scribes worked, they would write one page at a time, and if even one small mistake was made, they threw away the whole sheet and even burned it, so zealous they were over the holy writings. They also knew how many letters should be on each line and each page, so they counted them several times when finished.

Thirty one years ago, all it took for me to believe was looking up the names of the people, places and things in there. The idea that it was somehow chance over thousands of years that all these people and places had names that denoted spiritual attributes in relation to what they did in their lives, was simply not possible to a rational mind. Today there is much more information available than ever before, so I'm incredulous that I even have to have the kinds of conversations on this board that I do. Peace
Hidden codes are a curious thing ... people find them all the time, but it seems to be all about personal perception and what one wants to see.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Hidden Messages and The Bible Code - CSI

Conclusion
The promoters of hidden-message claims say, “How could such amazing coincidences be the product of random chance?” I think the real question should be, “How could such coincidences not be the inevitable product of a huge sequence of trials on a large, essentially random database?”
Once I learned how to navigate in puzzle-space, finding “incredible” predictions became a routine affair.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:23 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:

Again, what you should be focusing on, is there are two important points to consider from this information. One, the idea of free will, and two, the idea that He wrote every word of the Torah and it has survived intact. The stats are off the charts on the finding of 18 old dead Rabbi's names from centuries past, along with their birth dates and the dates of their deaths, all in close proximity to one another in the codes. Since the code is an ELS code based on numbers, this means that if even ONE LETTER was off, the codes would not work, and clearly that is not the case.

I don't see her trying to do that.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:03 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have little to worry about, Rbbi. I am not one of the fools who hate knowledge. You would have saved us a lot of posting back and forth if you had simply said you and Hannibal and pinacled were kabbalists.
Quote:
WHAT??? Are you telling me THAT'S all you took away from this article, you who don't hate knowledge? I am NOT a Kabbalist and I seriously doubt either of them are, too. Peace
No, Rbbi, that is NOT all I took away from it, but it does explain many things. I would not simplify your views. But I am familiar with the numerical search for repetitions of the Aleph-Bet and the attempt to attach prophetic meaning to them. (It is complicated by the fact that some characters have duplicate representations.) I place no more faith in such things than I do in Gematria. We are a supremely talented pattern-recognition species and can see all manner of things where nothing actually is. That is why I only use the after-the-fact prophecies that tie to actual societal impacts of Jesus the Christ on the spiritual evolution of our understanding of God and its impact on human history.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Hidden Messages and The Bible Code - CSI

Conclusion
The promoters of hidden-message claims say, “How could such amazing coincidences be the product of random chance?” I think the real question should be, “How could such coincidences not be the inevitable product of a huge sequence of trials on a large, essentially random database?”
Once I learned how to navigate in puzzle-space, finding “incredible” predictions became a routine affair.

Just the mockers and scorners of the word, every truth has it's detractors. Regardless of what they may say, they can't explain away the statistical probability of what the Jewish researchers found. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 10-03-2016 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-03-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
So, yeah, at first I was surprised to think you might be one, and I accepted it when you said you were not one.

No, please understand that you don't get to determine for me what I "should" be focusing on.

So which of your 5 posts to me about it did you accept it in?

No, I don't but it's my opinion since what I posted got derailed from the 2 points I was making with it (not at all surprisingly). Peace

Old 10-03-2016, 08:44 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
That's true, unless you stumble across something that hasn't happened yet. But the point is, if you read the article the Torah codes prove that He has a plan, and dare I say it, HE WROTE THE BOOKS. My own name is in the Torah codes twice. Peace
And that explains a lot more, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity