Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:28 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,638,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Most people I know that say the Hebrew version of Matthew is the original, also say there is no Virgin birth in it and the Virgin Birth was later inserted in the Greek copies, can anyone verify if this is true?
we have a Hebrew version of Matthew? original? not "restored?" news to me...https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Matthew+in...v27-3_h&ia=web ya, no. as much as i wish, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Not lying, why on earth would I need/want to about that??? I'm stating a fact, that's all. Why would I? Do you see anything in there that tells me to? Peace
i didn't say you were lying...sorry, i assumed by "messenger" you meant "translator." lol.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
I'm curious, do you separate milk and meat in your refrigerator, Rbbi1? ty
<

Old 11-12-2016, 04:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
i didn't say you were lying...sorry, i assumed by "messenger" you meant "translator." lol.

Ok, I get it now....slow on the uptake sometimes..... Peace

Old 11-12-2016, 05:36 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
we have a Hebrew version of Matthew? original? not "restored?" news to me...https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Matthew+in...v27-3_h&ia=web ya, no. as much as i wish, though.
The idea of a Hebrew version of Matthew is a hypothesis with some standing because of statements by several early church fathers about such a copy, and using textual criticism (studying the words and culture of the times to grasp what it meant to them) in support of what those fathers said.

What is curious to me is that the OP has argued, sometimes vehemently, AGAINST using textual criticism, a more modern approach to Scripture, but swallows this hypothesis whole without blinking an eye.

I think there is some evidence for it, and logic itself lends itself to the idea that a Jew, writing to Jews, may have written both a Hebrew and a Greek copy.

The jury remains out however, and scholars still debate whether it was Matthew or even other gospels that the church fathers referenced.

Quote:
Carl August Credner (1832) identified three Jewish-Christian Gospels: Jerome's Gospel of the Nazarenes, the Greek Gospel of the Ebionites cited by Epiphanius in his Panarion, and a Greek gospel cited by Origen, which he referred to as the Gospel of the Hebrews. In the 20th Century the majority school of critical scholarship, such as Hans Waitz, Philip Vielhauer and Albertus Klijn, proposed a tripartite distinction between Epiphanius' Greek Jewish Gospel, Jerome's Hebrew (or Aramaic) Gospel, and a Gospel of the Hebrews, which was produced by Jewish Christians in Egypt, and like the canonical Epistle to the Hebrews was Hebrew only in nationality not language. The exact identification of which Jewish Gospel is which in the references of Jerome, Origen and Epiphanius, and whether each church father had one or more Jewish Gospels in mind, is an ongoing subject of scholarly debate. However the presence in patristic testimony concerning three different Jewish Gospels with three different traditions regarding the baptism of Christ suggests multiple traditions.[
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_Gospel_hypothesis

The fact that there is this debate highlights how FREQUENTLY Scripture can be questioned in terms of its authenticity, interpretation and especially translation. To highlight this I provide an off-topic video of textual criticism of Isaiah 7:14 and 9:6 (in two separate parts) that shows just the translation problems in understanding Scripture.

Part I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDIN6TJ-gA

Part II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXPnrhvxrZg

It's why no one who claims they "understand" the Bible can make such a foolish blanket statement. There are enough nuances just in translation to have kept scholars pondering for centuries.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:55 PM

Probably because the OP in question received the knowledge directly from the Spirit of G-d and only recently scholars have begun to catch up to the idea = a witness to the Spirit. Peace

Old 11-12-2016, 09:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Probably because the OP in question received the knowledge directly from the Spirit of G-d and only recently scholars have begun to catch up to the idea = a witness to the Spirit. Peace
So very, very special.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So very, very special.

Fight it all you want TD, but the Shepherd DOES speak to His sheep, and His sheep hear His voice. Peace

Old 11-13-2016, 01:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Fight it all you want TD, but the Shepherd DOES speak to His sheep, and His sheep hear His voice. Peace
I believe you hear voices, all right.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It's why no one who claims they "understand" the Bible can make such a foolish blanket statement. There are enough nuances just in translation to have kept scholars pondering for centuries.
i guess if one is looking for "Facts" or "proof," yes, the Bible might be confounding. Oh well.
i don't use It like that. It is much more valuable for It's stated purposes imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity