Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:07 PM

425 posts, read 276,433 times

Advertisements

-
One of Webster's definitions of "impute" is: to credit to a person or a cause.

A classic example of imputed righteousness is on exhibit in the very first book of the Bible wherein God credited Abraham with righteousness as per Gen 15:5-6 for doing nothing more than believing a divine promise made to him concerning his future progeny.

I suspect that Abraham was also credited with righteousness related to his offering of Isaac in the 22nd chapter, but curiously; there's no mention of it in the book of Genesis just as there is no mention of Melchizedek's genealogy although he certainly must have had a mommy and a daddy. But on the pages of Old Testament scripture, Mel had no mommy and daddy just as on the pages of Old Testament scripture, Abraham is not credited with righteousness for offering his son Isaac; and that's because both Mel and Abraham became representations of important concepts to be expounded later on in the New Testament.

Paul totally ignored the Akeda and instead focused on Gen 15:5-6 in order to show that it's possible to obtain righteousness apart from meritorious deeds (Rom 4:1-8).

The righteousness that Abraham obtained via his belief was nondescript; while the righteousness obtained via people's belief related to Christ's crucifixion is the righteousness of God.

The righteousness of God is humanly impossible to duplicate, which is no doubt why it has to be made available via belief rather than by meritorious deeds. In other words: the righteousness of God is an endowment; viz: it's a gift free of charge with no strings attached.

Rom 3:21-24 . . But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, though testified to by the law and the prophets, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction; all have sinned and are deprived of the glory of God. They are justified freely by His grace through the redemption in Christ Jesus

That paragraph is loaded with goodies. First off it speaks of a righteousness that's available to all who believe, and then it speaks of a gracious justification; which is translated from the Greek word dikaioo (dik-ah-yo'-o) which means to render (i.e. show or regard as) just or innocent.

Both those benefits-- the righteousness of God, and the innocence --are said to be made available via belief by the redemption in Christ Jesus.

Redemption is translated from the Greek word apolutrosis (ap-ol-oo'-tro-sis) which means to ransom in full.

Paul then goes on to say that that Christ Jesus is an expiation (vs 25) which is translated from the Greek word hilasterion (hil-as-tay'-ree-on) which means an expiatory (place or thing). Webster's defines expiatory as something that serves to expiate; which is defined as: to extinguish incurred guilt and/or to make amends.

All those amazing benefits are unearned and unmerited. They are acts of charity; bestowed upon believers by the kindness and generosity of God.

Well; all I can say to that is: if the righteousness of God, and the ransom, and the innocence, and the expiation aren't enough to get people into heaven, then I cannot imagine what else would suffice.

/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
The biggest advantage I can see to those whoi believe in the nonsense is that they are able to feel self-righteous witrhout deserving to.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:55 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The biggest advantage I can see to those whoi believe in the nonsense is that they are able to feel self-righteous witrhout deserving to.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
wrong , because He still has law in effect . the Blood laws of at least 1-1 are still in effect. Only through the imputed righteousness though now we learn the other of the
eye for eye Laws (in actuality it is 2 or 3 eyes for every eye and eye for an eye being the least payment 1=1 )..
.. and that is there is also a blessing for a blessing, forgiveness for forgiveness even not just 1-1 but 1-100 side of His blood laws men never understood . that is the part of his law humanity is learning now.

the bad side of this learning process is that it gives sinners and the wicked and the rich an illusion that they can get by with anything and will not have to pay it back . but his true laws are still in effect if we see them or not . He won't be mocked on that matter the very least being 1=1 on either side . no one will get by with anything.
so the day of blind justice and true law in that it is no respecter of persons and has no real victims is still coming. He had lessons to teach humanity about losing for his sake and about what love is and what it looks like and what law is really about .
Really until we cry out for true justice and are willing to pay the price ( take personal responsibility ) of true blind justice. but that side of the lesson isn't working so well because it looks like the guilty walk right now. but that is just for now.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 12-30-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
@ OP....there was nothing "nondescript" about the father of our faith's righteousness. G-d gave him the promise which he believed and received in the natural as Isaac, BUT that promise APPEARED to be false when He told him to go sacrifice that promise, which had he done it, in the natural mindset would have eliminated the promise altogether regarding any future progeny. Until that moment, all Abraham had believed for was a natural seed, made impossible by natural circumstances which G-d overrode.

That in itself was an astounding amount of faith to have in and of itself having never been done before, but the greatest test of his faith in the promise was to come, and when it did, then and only then, did Abraham see (receive the revelation of) His "day", ie. His many-membered Seed body of the Christ (Who IS the 7th day/Sabbath rest/Spirit/no part darkness), in all 3 heavens, when he saw Him caught in a thicket by His horns.

Had he not had the faith and obedience to do what he was told (knowing that murder had a penalty via Cain), he would have never seen that day, and faith is the EVIDENCE of things not seen, but believed for. In other words, the many-membered Seed you see walking around today and throughout history is the evidence of Abraham's faith. Abraham, in fact, "walked on the water" before Christ did, ie. walked in the Spirit breathed Word ABOVE the waters below the firmament/law. And the first shall be last, and the last shall be first.

Isaac was the soul/flesh visible part of the sacrifice, but Christ the Ram, the strongman, is the part that flesh and blood cannot reveal to you, but only your Father which is in heaven, can. Peace

Old 12-30-2016, 07:31 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
The key word is "believe".

God thinks believing is doing works. His works, which people do not understand because they are wicked and refuse to walk in His presence so God blinds them and keeps them out of His kingdom until they serve Him and do what is right.

As God has said; "Walk in my presence and be blameless." Here it shows that doing what God wants makes one blameless and righteous.

Just as Jesus said; "By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

And; "All those who do good to the resurrection of life"

Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The key word is "believe".

God thinks believing is doing works. His works, which people do not understand because they are wicked and refuse to walk in His presence so God blinds them and keeps them out of His kingdom until they serve Him and do what is right.

As God has said; "Walk in my presence and be blameless." Here it shows that doing what God wants makes one blameless and righteous.

Just as Jesus said; "By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

And; "All those who do good to the resurrection of life"

Amen. To believe is not mere mental assent to G-d; it means to hear (faith) AND obey (works). Peace

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,136 times
Quote:
How do you know it is nonsense? Let me guess. Anything you do not believe is nonsense, right?

Having righteousness imputed to us does not make us feel self-righteous. To feel self righteous we would have to think we made our self righteous. "Imputed" takes that idea away.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
6 And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him as righteousness.

Rashi:

And he believed in the Lord: He did not request of Him a sign regarding this, but regarding the inheritance of the land, he did request of Him a sign, and he said to Him, “How will I know?” [from Ned. 32a]

and He accounted it to him as righteousness: The Holy One, blessed be He, accounted it to Abram as a merit and as righteousness for the faith that he believed in Him (Targum Jonathan). Another explanation for: “How will I know?” He did not ask Him for a sign, but he said before Him, “Let me know with what merit will they [my descendants] remain therein [in the Land]?” The Holy One, blessed be He, replied, “With the merit of the sacrifices.”

Old 12-30-2016, 08:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
How do you know it is nonsense? Let me guess. Anything you do not believe is nonsense, right?

Having righteousness imputed to us does not make us feel self-righteous. To feel self righteous we would have to think we made our self righteous. "Imputed" takes that idea away.
You really don't know what sel-righteousness is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity