Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:42 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,178 times

Advertisements

I go sometimes 24 hrs without thinking about God. Giving thanks, praise and glory. I found a bible believing church and will attend this Sunday.

My other church disbanded.

Last night I cried, prayed, and begged to be filled with the spirit. I felt I was then this morning, back to the drawing board.

I know the fallen angels (demons) and satan believe in God but are obviously not saved. My son isn't saved and it terrifies me. I am not sure if I am UNSAVED how or why, I would be terrified for my son??

I am a believer. I know this. I do not doubt. I accepted God as my savior but sometimes I wonder if I really did. I sin way too much. I do not see a progression of getting better but do not see a progression of getting worse either. Of course to the world, I am not bad or any different than anyone else.

Are there any examples in the bible of someone who BELIEVES IN THE GOD OF THE BIBLE yet isn't working against him? The only examples i know have an agenda to go against god. Except maybe Judas. Maybe I need to study his betrayal more. THank you.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
You say that you're saved, but then you say that you sin way too much. Are these willful sins? The Saints of God are the ones who are saved and they don't willfully sin because the love of God is working in their souls. If you have never heard this, I'm sorry that your pastors have failed you.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I go sometimes 24 hrs without thinking about God. Giving thanks, praise and glory. I found a bible believing church and will attend this Sunday.

Last night I cried, prayed, and begged to be filled with the spirit. I felt I was then this morning, back to the drawing board.

I know the fallen angels (demons) and satan believe in God but are obviously not saved. My son isn't saved and it terrifies me. I am not sure if I am UNSAVED how or why, I would be terrified for my son??

I am a believer. I know this. I do not doubt. I accepted God as my savior but sometimes I wonder if I really did. I sin way too much. I do not see a progression of getting better but do not see a progression of getting worse either. Of course to the world, I am not bad or any different than anyone else.

Are there any examples in the bible of someone who BELIEVES IN THE GOD OF THE BIBLE yet isn't working against him? The only examples i know have an agenda to go against god. Except maybe Judas. Maybe I need to study his betrayal more. THank you.
Only God determines who goes to Heaven and who doesn't. The "I'm Saved" Doctrine is nothing but Satanic, blasphemous, filth, because it teaches human beings that THEY decide that they will be going to Heaven and that God's opinions are completely irrelevant. Satan was kicked out of Heaven for believing that his opinions were better than God's. What do you think that He will do to humans who believe that their opinions are more important than His?
NO ONE is "saved" until the day that they die and then God decides whether we are worthy of going to heaven or not.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:

Hi Nancy. You asked if it's possible to believe in the God of the Bible and not be saved, and if there are any Biblical examples of such? Acts chapters 10 and 11 relates the story concerning a Roman centurion named Cornelius who was a devout man who feared God and prayed to Him continually (Acts 10:1-2). But he hadn't yet been given the gospel message about Christ Jesus so that he might believe on Him, and therefore wasn't saved according to Acts 11:14. Yet God responded to Cornelius' prayers by sending an angel to him who told him to send for Peter who would come and give him and his household the gospel message concerning Christ Jesus so that he and his household could be saved.

When Peter arrived he began telling Cornelius and his household about Jesus. They were all responsive to the gospel message and as a result, even while Peter was still speaking the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to his message (Acts 10:44).

Notice that in order for Cornelius and his household to be saved, to have eternal life, all they had to do was to place their faith in Christ Jesus. The moment they believed in Him they received the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is very clear that in order to receive eternal life all that is necessary is to place your faith in Christ Jesus. No meritorious works are involved. Cornelius had not even been baptized yet. Peter baptized Cornelius and his household after they had already been saved.

If you have placed your faith in Christ Jesus, that is, if you have believed that Jesus died for your sins and that He rose again with the result that you have trusted in Him for eternal salvation, then you are eternally saved and cannot lose your salvation.

You are not saved by believing in God as the story of Cornelius shows. You are saved when you place your faith specifically in that Person of the Godhead who became a man and went to the cross to die for your sins. It is in Christ Jesus you must trust for eternal life.

The fact that you continue to sin after salvation doesn't mean that you aren't saved. When a believer sins he gets out of fellowship with God which means that his rapport with God is interrupted until he simply names the sin as per 1 John 1:9, but he cannot lose his salvation because of sin. Every sin you will ever commit as a believer has already been judged at the cross. Jesus already paid the penalty for any sin you will ever commit. When you sin simply acknowledge the sin to God according to the principle of 1 John 1:9. That restores your rapport, your fellowship with God.

When the believer sins, he loses the filling of the Spirit, but not the indwelling of the Spirit. The moment a person places his faith in Christ Jesus the Holy Spirit indwells him and fills him. Those are two different ministries of the Holy Spirit. The believer cannot lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but he loses the filling of the Spirit when he sins. The filling of the Spirit is regained when you acknowledge your sin to God.

Now you might recall that king David prayed that the Holy Spirit might not be taken away from him (Psalm 51:11). But that was a different dispensation, a different period of human history in which the Holy Spirit didn't permanently indwell anyone but only empowered a relatively few people for specific purposes. Once the person had completed the task for which purpose he had been endued with the Holy Spirit the Spirit would be withdrawn. Or he could lose the enduement of the Spirit as a result of sin. Again, though, this had nothing to do with his eternal salvation.

But we live in the dispensation of the church in which every believer has the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit and which cannot be lost due to sin. The filling of the Spirit can be lost, but not the indwelling of the Spirit.

The church-age believer is never commanded to be indwelt by the Spirit since that is automatic and permanent. But the believer is commanded to be filled with the Spirit as per Ephesians 5:18. And that command is obeyed when as a believer you acknowledge your sin to God after having committed it.

Nancy, if you have placed your faith, your trust, in Christ Jesus, if you have believed that He died for your sins and rose again, then you are eternally saved and you can never lose your salvation. Eternal life is a free gift which you receive by grace through faith in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:8-9). It is not something you can earn or keep by your own efforts. Jesus told the Samaritan woman that all she had to do was to ask and she would be given the gift of eternal life (John 4:7-14). He told the crowd to whom He was speaking, who had asked Him what works of God they could do in order to be saved, that all they had to do was to believe in Him (John 6:27-29). In that passage Jesus told the crowd to work for the food which endures to eternal life. When the crowd asked Him about those works, Jesus then explained that what He meant was that they must believe on Him.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Satan was kicked out of Heaven.
Prove it...

Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:

How does one get by without god for 24 hours????

HAIL, HOLY QUEEN, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!

Now I feel prepared to provide a heart-felt response.

In a previous post I related the story of a friend I had met via another poser. This friend, we can call Waldo, was also thinking much like you. He was terrified god was hating on him if god was not on his brain and on his thoughts 24/7.
Every decision, every action, he felt obligated to present before god and await authorization to continue. Often this authorization as very slow in coming, or completely non-extant.
Sometimes in the middle of something, like dinner, he would shout out STOP...and proclaim the food was unclean and must not be eaten...and no..he did not have tourette syndrome.

He too would often compare himself to Judas, Thomas and even Peter--all of whom he saw as traitors to Christ. He was sure he was all against Jesus because that was all he thought about, except when he was not thinking about god/Jesus and that was even worse in his mind.

This was 1983/1984 when christian rock was just breaking out. Initially Waldo burned or smashed all his hard rock albums (yes, vinyl was big then) and found temporary peace in the music of Petra, Degarmo & Key and Carmen...then one day he torched all his christian rock albums and cassette tapes. He was sure all rock music was evil and deplorable. Waldo went of a 7 day fast, which became 12 days, then 15 days as he wondered the streets of our hometown. Not that Waldo was bummish looking or anything--he just walked from his parents house to the mall and around to other stores where he would sit in the courtyard, contemplating as he would say...

Within a few months, Waldo had returned to eating, started looking for work (he was just out of high school) and it seemed like Waldo had found peace with god and Jesus.

Eventually I left the Fellowship Freewill Baptist Church and did my own version of wandering the wilderness before landing at a 5,000 member Presbyterian USA--but that is another story for another time..

Around 1986 or so, I ran into one of the FBC crowd. His wife had divorced him after finding out he had several affairs with other members of the FBC crowd we hung out with and he was heading up to the local bar to see if there were any women who wanted a ride home...anyways...I asked about Waldo and how he was getting along...I was saddened to hear Waldo had taken his own life a few months earlier as Waldo felt the god would never accept him in his sinner state of mind...

Now we all realize not every Waldo ends up this way--some are Davis Koresches, Jimmy Bakkers, and some are quite normal and have gone on to live without any further issues.

So, I think the point that I am making is that god does not expect us to think godly 24.7, ask for blessing and permission to do everything in life and god certainly does not want to see us doing the double check before we engage in most activities. God expects us to do what is best, what is kind and helpful, and most of all that which is based in LOVE...

Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
You say that you're saved, but then you say that you sin way too much. Are these willful sins? The Saints of God are the ones who are saved and they don't willfully sin because the love of God is working in their souls. If you have never heard this, I'm sorry that your pastors have failed you.
They are both but most sins are not willful.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Only God determines who goes to Heaven and who doesn't. The "I'm Saved" Doctrine is nothing but Satanic, blasphemous, filth, because it teaches human beings that THEY decide that they will be going to Heaven and that God's opinions are completely irrelevant. Satan was kicked out of Heaven for believing that his opinions were better than God's. What do you think that He will do to humans who believe that their opinions are more important than His?
NO ONE is "saved" until the day that they die and then God decides whether we are worthy of going to heaven or not.
Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

With that, God knows the beginning and the end beforehand so this makes sense. He knew who will love him before he created them

Old 02-16-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi Nancy. You asked if it's possible to believe in the God of the Bible and not be saved, and if there are any Biblical examples of such? Acts chapters 10 and 11 relates the story concerning a Roman centurion named Cornelius who was a devout man who feared God and prayed to Him continually (Acts 10:1-2). But he hadn't yet been given the gospel message about Christ Jesus so that he might believe on Him, and therefore wasn't saved according to Acts 11:14. Yet God responded to Cornelius' prayers by sending an angel to him who told him to send for Peter who would come and give him and his household the gospel message concerning Christ Jesus so that he and his household could be saved.

When Peter arrived he began telling Cornelius and his household about Jesus. They were all responsive to the gospel message and as a result, even while Peter was still speaking the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to his message (Acts 10:44).

Notice that in order for Cornelius and his household to be saved, to have eternal life, all they had to do was to place their faith in Christ Jesus. The moment they believed in Him they received the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is very clear that in order to receive eternal life all that is necessary is to place your faith in Christ Jesus. No meritorious works are involved. Cornelius had not even been baptized yet. Peter baptized Cornelius and his household after they had already been saved.

If you have placed your faith in Christ Jesus, that is, if you have believed that Jesus died for your sins and that He rose again with the result that you have trusted in Him for eternal salvation, then you are eternally saved and cannot lose your salvation.

You are not saved by believing in God as the story of Cornelius shows. You are saved when you place your faith specifically in that Person of the Godhead who became a man and went to the cross to die for your sins. It is in Christ Jesus you must trust for eternal life.

The fact that you continue to sin after salvation doesn't mean that you aren't saved. When a believer sins he gets out of fellowship with God which means that his rapport with God is interrupted until he simply names the sin as per 1 John 1:9, but he cannot lose his salvation because of sin. Every sin you will ever commit as a believer has already been judged at the cross. Jesus already paid the penalty for any sin you will ever commit. When you sin simply acknowledge the sin to God according to the principle of 1 John 1:9. That restores your rapport, your fellowship with God.

When the believer sins, he loses the filling of the Spirit, but not the indwelling of the Spirit. The moment a person places his faith in Christ Jesus the Holy Spirit indwells him and fills him. Those are two different ministries of the Holy Spirit. The believer cannot lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but he loses the filling of the Spirit when he sins. The filling of the Spirit is regained when you acknowledge your sin to God.

Now you might recall that king David prayed that the Holy Spirit might not be taken away from him (Psalm 51:11). But that was a different dispensation, a different period of human history in which the Holy Spirit didn't permanently indwell anyone but only empowered a relatively few people for specific purposes. Once the person had completed the task for which purpose he had been endued with the Holy Spirit the Spirit would be withdrawn. Or he could lose the enduement of the Spirit as a result of sin. Again, though, this had nothing to do with his eternal salvation.

But we live in the dispensation of the church in which every believer has the permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit and which cannot be lost due to sin. The filling of the Spirit can be lost, but not the indwelling of the Spirit.

The church-age believer is never commanded to be indwelt by the Spirit since that is automatic and permanent. But the believer is commanded to be filled with the Spirit as per Ephesians 5:18. And that command is obeyed when as a believer you acknowledge your sin to God after having committed it.

Nancy, if you have placed your faith, your trust, in Christ Jesus, if you have believed that He died for your sins and rose again, then you are eternally saved and you can never lose your salvation. Eternal life is a free gift which you receive by grace through faith in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:8-9). It is not something you can earn or keep by your own efforts. Jesus told the Samaritan woman that all she had to do was to ask and she would be given the gift of eternal life (John 4:7-14). He told the crowd to whom He was speaking, who had asked Him what works of God they could do in order to be saved, that all they had to do was to believe in Him (John 6:27-29). In that passage Jesus told the crowd to work for the food which endures to eternal life. When the crowd asked Him about those works, Jesus then explained that what He meant was that they must believe on Him.
Thank you so much Mike. This really blessed me. There are very few actual Christians and I think I just met one I will be back online tonight and will study this for a good length of time. Leaving for work now.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
How does one get by without god for 24 hours????

HAIL, HOLY QUEEN, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!
Why are you glorifying Mary? Good Grief. I am afraid to continue reading.
Anyhow... I went 24 hrs which concerns me and the reason is greed. Work gave us a 401k and I started studying investments after a busy day. It disturbs me I could go that long. Sure maybe I did think of him sometime during the day but the fact I cannot recall it concerns me. Your salvation also concerns me now too

Quote:
Now I feel prepared to provide a heart-felt response.

In a previous post I related the story of a friend I had met via another poser. This friend, we can call Waldo, was also thinking much like you. He was terrified god was hating on him if god was not on his brain and on his thoughts 24/7.
Every decision, every action, he felt obligated to present before god and await authorization to continue. Often this authorization as very slow in coming, or completely non-extant.
Sometimes in the middle of something, like dinner, he would shout out STOP...and proclaim the food was unclean and must not be eaten...and no..he did not have tourette syndrome.

He too would often compare himself to Judas, Thomas and even Peter--all of whom he saw as traitors to Christ. He was sure he was all against Jesus because that was all he thought about, except when he was not thinking about god/Jesus and that was even worse in his mind.
Just for clarification, Judas was the only person I could think of that believed in Jesus fully as the Godhead yet didn't appear to be saved. In fact, actually plotted against Jesus with his betrayal. After Judas departed, the manner in which Jesus spoke to the remaining disciples calling them his true disciples (sic) makes me think before, when Judas was present, it was not so.

Quote:
This was 1983/1984 when christian rock was just breaking out. Initially Waldo burned or smashed all his hard rock albums (yes, vinyl was big then) and found temporary peace in the music of Petra, Degarmo & Key and Carmen...then one day he torched all his christian rock albums and cassette tapes. He was sure all rock music was evil and deplorable. Waldo went of a 7 day fast, which became 12 days, then 15 days as he wondered the streets of our hometown. Not that Waldo was bummish looking or anything--he just walked from his parents house to the mall and around to other stores where he would sit in the courtyard, contemplating as he would say...

Within a few months, Waldo had returned to eating, started looking for work (he was just out of high school) and it seemed like Waldo had found peace with god and Jesus.

Eventually I left the Fellowship Freewill Baptist Church and did my own version of wandering the wilderness before landing at a 5,000 member Presbyterian USA--but that is another story for another time..

Around 1986 or so, I ran into one of the FBC crowd. His wife had divorced him after finding out he had several affairs with other members of the FBC crowd we hung out with and he was heading up to the local bar to see if there were any women who wanted a ride home...anyways...I asked about Waldo and how he was getting along...I was saddened to hear Waldo had taken his own life a few months earlier as Waldo felt the god would never accept him in his sinner state of mind...

Now we all realize not every Waldo ends up this way--some are Davis Koresches, Jimmy Bakkers, and some are quite normal and have gone on to live without any further issues.

So, I think the point that I am making is that god does not expect us to think godly 24.7, ask for blessing and permission to do everything in life and god certainly does not want to see us doing the double check before we engage in most activities. God expects us to do what is best, what is kind and helpful, and most of all that which is based in LOVE...
Thank you for responding

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 02-16-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity