Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,065,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Personally, I see both parties as two sides of the same box, and I think the box needs to be crushed and recycled. But that's not for this forum.

We finally have agreement. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,958,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think geekigurl, and certainly not I, mean "Democrat" when we refer to ourselves as being liberal Christians. It has nothing to do with political party affiliation.

Personally, I see both parties as two sides of the same box, and I think the box needs to be crushed and recycled. But that's not for this forum.
In my opinion the blatantly political statements of the previous two posts ought to remain... just so people can see what you are correcting.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,941,218 times
I don't because I'm no longer a Trinitarian.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
I believe a lot of folk are leaving the churches because they would rather have nothing than the dogma's traditions,ceremony and the letter understanding of the scriptures(which really is not an understanding of them at all) being served up. There is also another group of people are becoming aware of the reality of Christ in them, that are walking away from the churches too.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:56 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,296,963 times
I'm about ready to leave. I'm only there now for my wife and daughter.

I understand a church depends on tithes and offerings to survive. But I'm tired of the "you have to give sacrificially to be blessed". I wasn't aware God was a spiritual slot machine that paid out 100% of the time.

Volunteers are abused. It seems like 20% of the people volunteer. That's not an excuse to run people ragged and get upset when they want to take a break. I've volunteered before and was told I had to find a replacement before I went on vacation (yeah, right). I tried but couldn't find anyone. I went anyways. I've had pastors get upset when I wanted to take a break after three years volunteering. I've seen other people exhausted because they "had" to work all services.

Our current church has an annual dinner at a very nice hotel for the top givers in the church. If you're not in that top tier, you're not invited. Very Christ-like .

My daughter is a volunteer on the production team. She was told she was disruptive because she was back stage prior to the service and had the gall to say hello and talk to the worship divas, I mean worship team. She was told small groups were for talking and they had to "protect the anointing". While I can understand that you have to prepare for a service, can't you just tell the person you can't talk now? They talked to her, didn't say a word and complained to leadership later. The pastors also have to "protect the anointing" and can't talk unless you're leadership. Then it's ok. So I guess the anointing can distinguish between leadership and non-leadership.

I refuse to volunteer and I'm really close to dropping them off and waiting in the car. All of the above was my experience with various churches, not just one.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,521,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I'm about ready to leave. I'm only there now for my wife and daughter.

I understand a church depends on tithes and offerings to survive. But I'm tired of the "you have to give sacrificially to be blessed". I wasn't aware God was a spiritual slot machine that paid out 100% of the time.

Volunteers are abused. It seems like 20% of the people volunteer. That's not an excuse to run people ragged and get upset when they want to take a break. I've volunteered before and was told I had to find a replacement before I went on vacation (yeah, right). I tried but couldn't find anyone. I went anyways. I've had pastors get upset when I wanted to take a break after three years volunteering. I've seen other people exhausted because they "had" to work all services.

Our current church has an annual dinner at a very nice hotel for the top givers in the church. If you're not in that top tier, you're not invited. Very Christ-like .

My daughter is a volunteer on the production team. She was told she was disruptive because she was back stage prior to the service and had the gall to say hello and talk to the worship divas, I mean worship team. She was told small groups were for talking and they had to "protect the anointing". While I can understand that you have to prepare for a service, can't you just tell the person you can't talk now? They talked to her, didn't say a word and complained to leadership later. The pastors also have to "protect the anointing" and can't talk unless you're leadership. Then it's ok. So I guess the anointing can distinguish between leadership and non-leadership.

I refuse to volunteer and I'm really close to dropping them off and waiting in the car. All of the above was my experience with various churches, not just one.
Maybe in your case the problem isn't so much "I am going to church" but more of "church I am going to".

Not every organized church emphasis is on the tithing slot machine \ "volunteering" till you grin no more guilt trips as you've laid out above.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let me count the ways.....
I was raised in a traditional northern baptist church. My father was episcopal and my mother was Lutheran. I am good with God, and believe in the power of prayer, yet I haven't attended church for 50 years.

Sometimes I think I want to, but there are things that hold me back. Just this week, a couple of nice men from the local baptist church stopped to invite us to Easter services. I'm tempted, but I know what I'm like.

If I went and liked the atmosphere, I'd probably start volunteering for a bunch of stuff...child care? Sure. Food pantry? Sure. Sunday school? Sure. I don't want to get involved. I'm retired. The next thing I know, I'd be hip deep in mud in someplace in Africa.
Nah...there's lots of people that circle the edges at my church, just dipping their toes in while never really getting involved beyond a surface level. I'm sure you'd be right at home.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I believe a lot of folk are leaving the churches because they would rather have nothing than the dogma's traditions,ceremony and the letter understanding of the scriptures(which really is not an understanding of them at all) being served up. There is also another group of people are becoming aware of the reality of Christ in them, that are walking away from the churches too.
I think that is absolutely true. You may think that making a god of your own understanding is good, I say it's idolatry, and the Bible condemns such people to hell. But hey...if that's what you want.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think that is absolutely true. You may think that making a god of your own understanding is good, I say it's idolatry, and the Bible condemns such people to hell. But hey...if that's what you want.
When you take a Bible written and compiled by human hand and minds and use it as a stand-in for God by believing it is infallible, you have made an Idol just as surely as making a Golden Calf. THAT is idolatry and Bible worshipers are guilty of idolatry. You should be worshiping God and following Christ's instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when you don't. You should NOT be following words "written in ink" as if they are God's word and NOT following the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" in Agape under the New Covenant.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:56 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,065,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When you take a Bible written and compiled by human hand and minds and use it as a stand-in for God by believing it is infallible, you have made an Idol just as surely as making a Golden Calf. THAT is idolatry and Bible worshipers are guilty of idolatry. You should be worshiping God and following Christ's instructions to love God and each other every day and repent when you don't. You should NOT be following words "written in ink" as if they are God's word and NOT following the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" in Agape under the New Covenant.

We choose to listen to the words of men who were PRESENT with the Lord and recorded His words. That's called a first hand account, not hearsay. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity