Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM

265 posts, read 615,547 times

Advertisements

I just wondered has anyone here ever been asked in a church "How old are you in the Lord?" have you ever heard people say, "I am ten years old in the Lord." why do they do this, and is there really such a thing as being eight years old in the lord? Does this give others in the church seniority or something?

what's your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 AM

82 posts, read 258,312 times
I'm assuming that they're asking how long it's been since they accepted Jesus - probably an evangelical church. The first reason for asking it that popped into my head, is if someone answered something like 6 months, the other person would then offer help or answer any questions they might have. I don't think it's a seniority thing.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:33 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I've never heard of it being phrased like that. I've heard people ask how long you've been saved, but it is usually in the context of a conversation where it is an appropriate question. I haven't heard people just ask it out of the blue.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Girl, you have to at least say where you're having these encounters -- east coast, west coast, southeast, midwest, northwest Pacific, Canada??? Where! Where! Please tell!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
I've heard of this expression. For the younger one's, it shows duration exists in this aparently fanatical experience, and you don't stop owning it. For the older ones, you get to see 'newborns.' It's kinda like being in a nursery. I've got about 30 years coming on the 17th of this month, btw. Ours was an east coast, evangelical, literal bible interpretation church.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I don't think most people are being intentionally rude or are trying to open the door to preach to you..In rl I am almost deaf even with two hearing aids so it is hard telling what questions are thrown at me..I probably just smile and nod to them..I was baptized by immersion in 1964 when I was 22..Gives me some seniority now and thenJust kidding, about the seniority..we are all one and the same if we are in Him..

Old 03-08-2008, 03:21 PM

292 posts, read 934,123 times
I got to be honest. I hear people ask this question and it irks me. I don't feel it matters how long you've been saved. I don't believe God considers senority! Some people in my opinion are arrogant as to how long they've been saved and will even start out responding to a question with...well I've been saved for such many years and this is what I think.
What comes to mind right now is the scripture that talks about the workers. How some come and work so long, then others come at a later point but...they all get the same pay! Now that should tell you what God thinks about it.
People come to the Lord at different times and seasons in their lives, appointed I believe by the divine timing of our Lord. So why should it matter?
Just my opinion and how it hits me.
God bless!
Jean

Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
LOL, Jean, I was joking about seniority..As far as being "saved", I don't know if I am or not..I never ask a person that question, in fact I never ask anyone in the rw about their beliefs period..However, I really don't get upset (anymore) if someone asks me, because usually they are just trying to be friendly...I agree with you that timing does not matter..whether you have known God all your life or finally accepted and believed on the deathbed...It is not for us to judge..

Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 PM

322 posts, read 737,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
I just wondered has anyone here ever been asked in a church "How old are you in the Lord?" have you ever heard people say, "I am ten years old in the Lord." why do they do this, and is there really such a thing as being eight years old in the lord? Does this give others in the church seniority or something?

what's your thoughts on this?
I've been born again since 1976. But sadly and shamefully not all those years were as productive spiritually as they could have been. So, I hope I could say now by the grace of GOD, maybe I'm eight years old in the LORD.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
Joedrsaved,
Which hammer blow's contact took the chip out of the granite: the first or the 100th? All days in G-d count for something, if only to bring you to the truth the way you seek it. Those times of non-productivity are incubation/gestation for the next acts to be played out. The journey is not always a roller coaster, but there are times when it is silent -these are desert opportunities. They are meditative, haunting, restorative, argumentative, etc. If you never doubted, you never really believed. And after those periods, your walk is typically deeper, more profound, and worth the experience. Happy thirty-second b'day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity